Chit Chat

Dodged bullets

2»

Re: Dodged bullets

• larrygaga said:
    larrygaga said:
    So, now that i'm home and have time to actually share my thoughts on this: Are you fucking serious? Someone gets brutally murdered, and all you can think is "Well, that's a shocker! It is near a trailer park, sooo.... Whew! Sure dodged a bullet there?"

There is all sorts of ignorant going on in this post. I'll ust leave this here.
    "Using official crime reports and other data from Omaha, Nebraska, the study finds no significant difference in population-weighted crime rates between blocks with mobile home communities and other types of residential blocks. Multivariate models show that the presence of mobile home communities did not significantly affect crime rates."

Mobile homes do not equal "bad area". The fuck?

Poor people live in mobile homes. Everyone knows poor people are criminals and druggies and refuse to help themselves!!!!!!!!!!

I'm being sarcastic for everyone who probably thinks I'm serious. 
    Those damn poor people!

WAIT. I am a poor people. Better start drugging and... criming immediately.
    EW get away from me poor person!
    You can kiss further wedding invitations good bye as well. No one wants a pill popping thief at their wedding! Of course, you would probably never receive the invitation. Either the postal service would be too reluctant to enter your trailer park, or I'm sure mailboxes are ransacked on a daily basis.
  • edited June 2015
  • edited June 2015
  • JCbride2015 said: I would be way more scared living in the middle of the woods.  Maybe it's because I grew up in and around cities, but empty dark spaces scare me way more than lots of people around even in a high crime area.  
    I've lived in both. The open space is not scary at all, except for a small handful of things:

1. Summer = bugs, period. More bugs than you ever knew existed.
    2. If you need an ambulance, it will take 45 minutes to get there. That is, in fact, a very scary thing. So don't have a heart attack, cut anything off, or pick a fight with a coyote.
    3. You will never know plowed roads or fast internet. These are not things you may have.

4. ... foxes scream like women.
    So do fisher cats.

• edited June 2015
  • @JCBride2015 I've lived in the city and in the country. I can't really say I'm more scared of one or the other -- they're very different fears. The woods make me paranoid about shit I can't see, or wild things. The city makes me scared because of people doing bad shit to people. I guess I feel safer in cities mostly because even if there are bad people, there are also good people, who can help me in case of bad things happening. 
  • This has obviously gotten away from where it was intended. I'm not going to try and defend my comments or my feelings. I think that all of you would be very happy you didn't live in a place where teen-aged girls were being beaten to death. I was simply trying to add context by describing what the the neighborhood was like. I never made any statements on the people or their way of life- but the physical make up of the neighborhood. All intentions were inferred and implied by you, not felt by me.

And with that, I'm done. 
  • SBmini said:
    This has obviously gotten away from where it was intended. I'm not going to try and defend my comments or my feelings. I think that all of you would be very happy you didn't live in a place where teen-aged girls were being beaten to death. I was simply trying to add context by describing what the the neighborhood was like. I never made any statements on the people or their way of life- but the physical make up of the neighborhood. All intentions were inferred and implied by you, not felt by me.

And with that, I'm done. 
    I live in a very nice suburban town.  My H's best friend was stabbed in the neck and killed by someone because that person was pissed that H's friend cut him off while driving.  This happened a handful of years ago about a mile from where H and I now live.  Another neighborhood of my county, about 15 minutes down the road, stabbings, shootings, burglaries, etc happen quite often. Not that long ago a man was killed in his home a town over from mine and they have zero leads as to who may have done it.  All of this in one county that you can go from end to end to in about 30-40 minutes.  But even with that I feel safe and comfortable because I realize that shit happens and it will happen anywhere.  Young, old, rich, poor, none of that matters because there are shitty people everywhere

What are you going to do if where you live now a murder happens?  Are you going to then decide that your neighborhood is bad and move?

• edited June 2015
  • edited June 2015
  • Sometimes places where people felt too safe are really good targets.  That's part of what I think the problem was in my college town - besides the serial killer. 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2014
    I was once walking my dog and I heard what sounded like a cannon. A little while later I learned a man had been shot and killed just over a mile from our house at the time I heard the "cannon."

This stuff can happen anywhere. If you don't want to live in that particular neighborhood, that's fine. You're allowed to live where you want. But I don't think you "dodged a bullet."

ETA: When I found out about the shooting, it didn't make me feel unsafe. And I felt unhappy for the man who'd died, not for my living situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SBmini said:
    This has obviously gotten away from where it was intended. I'm not going to try and defend my comments or my feelings. I think that all of you would be very happy you didn't live in a place where teen-aged girls were being beaten to death. I was simply trying to add context by describing what the the neighborhood was like. I never made any statements on the people or their way of life- but the physical make up of the neighborhood. All intentions were inferred and implied by you, not felt by me.

And with that, I'm done. 
    Well technically it was one girl, not like a string of teenage girls. And also they aren't sure she was even killed there. I mean, she could have been killed in some really nice gated community and then driven to the wrong part of town and dumped.

I'd like to live somewhere where no one is ever beaten to death. Actually I'd just like all people to stop being beaten to death. Even if I don't live there. Like if someone is beaten to death in Alabama, I still think that's really bad. Even if I never have any intention of living in Alabama. 

The physical make up of the neighborhood has no baring on if a crime will or will not take place there. Oh look, a check cashing place and a mobile home park, better not live here, we'll probably find a dead body. Oh, but look over there, they have a Panera and a Target, so probably no dead bodies over there.
  • I've lived in places that were considered really nice and I've lived in places that were considered crappy.  Either way, the most annoying thing is when people say, "oh, you live in ---- , ewww" or "oh you live in ----, well aren't you fancy?"  Look, I have my reasons for living here and I don't define myself by my neighborhood. I will say this, though - there are exceptions but in my experience the poshest areas also tend to be the most boring.

FI and I want to move to the middle of the woods in NH.  I've never lived in rural area full-time, so I'm curious to find out if my weekend paradise lives up to expectation.

• I used to live in Hamilton in an awesome residential neighborhood (our neighbours were doctors and stuff, our house wasn't as big but it had been in the family for a while so that's how we afforded to live there).  Down the road was a grow op that was busted, they were really nice guys, and there was also members of an Italian mob arrested one day in another house near us.  At our amazing elementary school, a person from the Psych Ward (there was a facility for the mentally ill near our place, we would go roller blading and stuff on their property, it was decent) had just walked in and gotten into the girls' bathroom.  Thankfully, nothing happened to any of the kids, but it could have, and because of that our school had to implement a bunch of security precautions.  Another person from the Psych place (I don't remember what the name of it was, but that was what everyone called it, sorry if the title I am using offends anyone) would occasionally walk around at night screaming and cursing.  
    After living there, we went to live in the country outside of the small town I live in now.  Walking the dog out there was scary at night.  It sounds really weird, because we had thirty something acres and there is most likely no one there, but I was scared of someone hiding in the trees or bushes and when I had my back turned, had a gun or something pointed at me.  Also, if you did need to call 911, pfft, it would take a long ass time for any help to come.
    Now that I live directly in the small town, I am still scared to walk at night because of weirdos, but I do feel kind of safer because it is more lit and I feel like if I screamed or something then someone would hear me.

• SBmini said:

And with that, I'm done. 

But how are mobile home parks and check cashing places, specifically, relevant context?

I think she was just trying to explain that the neighborhood was in transition and undergoing gentrification, albeit her description came across wrong.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited January 2015
    BTW, 15 years ago a lawyer who lived in one of the wealthy suburbs of my city went on a killing spree that resulted in 5 people being murdered throughout our metropolitan area.

BSC and psychopathy have no address.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    Cheshire, CT; Colombine, CO; Newtown, CT- all really nice towns where horrible things happened.

My parents always say, if someone really wants to do something, they will. The Boston marathon got bombed with police every fricken block. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards