Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Is there such thing as planning too early?

I am having a hard time trying to price our resorts because with most, you can only book up to a year in advance and my fiance and I are hoping to marry in May of 2016. Am I just jumping the gun, or is there even such thing as planning too early? I just want to have a plan firmed up so we can give our friends and family plenty of time to make arrangements and save for the trip. I would love to have save the dates out in the next 4-6 weeks....again, too early?
We have been together for eight years now, so maybe all this time waiting for him to pop the question just has me over eager! 

Re: Is there such thing as planning too early?

• Options
    I think you are doing things too early. Most resorts do not plan out that far in advance with their 2016 rate structures or even if they will be undergoing renovations. Airfare is not released until 330 days prior to the flight date.

What you can do is have a wedding website and post your date on there, along with the destination if you have that picked out. Note that details for travel will be added later. Then, send out your save the dates about a year in advance. The save the dates can reference your wedding website. On your website, you can note a date to check back for details. Just be sure to have everything squared away by that date. A travel agent can probably give you a good idea for pricing for you and your guests just under a year out. 

• Options
    That is great advice! Thanks so much!
  • Options
    I think it depends on your resort - we started talking to our wedding coordinator in December (getting married May 2016), and have found that they, along with most vendors, are booking based on 2015 rates, as long as deposits are in. So we're actually getting discounts straight out the gate. The resort we're using (boutique resort in Mexico, pretty small) is also letting us coordinate rooms etc. already through our travel agent, and we have early booking bonuses for getting in so early. Also, if you're dealing with a wedding coordinator from the hotel, I'm finding that each email takes 2-3 business days before you get a response. The planning process takes a lot longer than you think, once you take into account the time for you to ask a question and get a response, then actually make your decision and get confirmation. Being this far out it's not too much of a concern, but I think I'd be stressed if I left it later in the game because I'd feel way too rushed into decisions!
  • Options
    There is no such thing as planning too early. Booking to early in some cases yes, such as airfare rates not yet being available but planning....it is never too early.

That being said, sometimes things may change and you have to be flexible, what if places go out of business, or the hotel is under going a renovation etc.
  • Options
     FI and I are just starting to plan for our wedding in June next year so no, I don't think there's such thing as too early when it comes to wedding planning. 
  • Options
    closing- zombie thread

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards