Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Number of images?

I'm getting quotes from photographers. One that I REALLY like offers 150-200 edited images with her base coverage, in addition to all family portrait images (edited). As add-ons, she also offers a full edit (all images totaling 1,000+), as well as "partial edits" including all the images from different parts of the day -- getting ready, ceremony, pictures (which I suppose means portraits and pictures taken in between?) and reception. The full edit isn't in our budget, but any one of the partial edits would be.

Photography is a HUGE priority for my day, in part because I have a photography hobby myself, but I also know it's exhausting to look at and choose among 800 pictures. 

In your experience, is 150-200 images + all family portraits enough? 
If not: What, in your experience? would get me the best bang for my partial-edit buck?

(The photog admits that the edit structure is unusual.)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Re: Number of images?

• Options
    I would never consider a photog that nickel and dimes to that level. Number of images was an issue when photog shot film, I'm old enough to remember those days. You had to wait for the shot and decide who many to shoot bc each image cost you a specific amount of money. This is not the case anymore.

I do not think 200 photos is enough, unless you get to go through all the photos and select which 200 you get. Do you really want her to pick which 200 you get out of what should easily be 1500+ images.

I would keep looking. I have no idea what "partial-edit" means. If you decide to go with her I would make sure I knew what that meant. 

It should never be exhausting for a photog to look at 800 of their own images - 800 images form grandma's trip to Atlantic City, yes. But they are paid to to this and if they don't love it you should most definitely hire someone who does. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I should clarify that we get all raw files, just 150-200 edited images. Sorry, I had to look closer as well.

• Options
    Here's another question, do you get the RAW files or JPEG files? BC you might not be able to view or work with RAW files if she gives you them. If the contract says "unedited" this is different from "RAW" files, but not everyone knows that.

• Options
    melizabethpmelizabethp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    I talked to her further. She will keep a backup of the RAW files -- we do not actually get them.

I've given a lot of thought to what you have said. I'm going to book with her, because she does come highly recommended and I love her work. The quality of her images is not in doubt. But I'm not going to shortchange myself on the quantity of images. I looked at our budget again, and I'm going to spring for the full edit. It will be worth it, and frankly, it's STILL a lot less than other photographers in our area whose work I like about as much are charging.

P.S. I like your sig a lot. :)

• Options
    I talked to her further. She will keep a backup of the RAW files -- we do not actually get them.

I've given a lot of thought to what you have said. I'm going to book with her, because she does come highly recommended and I love her work. The quality of her images is not in doubt. But I'm not going to shortchange myself on the quantity of images. I looked at our budget again, and I'm going to spring for the full edit. It will be worth it, and frankly, it's STILL a lot less than other photographers in our area whose work I like about as much are charging.

P.S. I like your sig a lot. :)
    I'm glad you opted to sludge and get the full edit of all images. If you really like her work, I'm sure you won't regret it! Good photography is always worth it in the long run. GL! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards