Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What color suits to match ivory/gold ombre dress!!!

I bought the Maggie sotterro ivory to gold ombre dress, when it's on it doesn't look quite as gold as it appears in the pic but nonetheless less it is not ivory all the way to the bottoms. My bridesmaids are wearing long navy dresses and are carrying coral/white bouquets with a hint of blue. My fiancé wants to wear a grey suit but now that my dress is champagne on the bottom I don't know if that will look ok. Please help.. He really doesn't want to wear a beige/tan suit but will wear whatever I ask. Trying to make everyone happy since it's not just my day but our day. And it's difficult to explain to him why he can't wear a certain color since he knows no details about the dress. So grey? Dark grey? Tan ? Any suggestions would help or any pics of other ppl in the dress and their wedding party choices would be much appreciated. I get married in 5 months and already have everything ordered except the suits so that's the only part that can be changed!!!! Thanks so much

Re: What color suits to match ivory/gold ombre dress!!!

• Options
    Your dress is a neutral color.  Grey is a neutral color.  Neutrals go together.  If he wants to wear grey then it would look just fine with your dress.

• Options
    Yeah, I see absolutely no reason grey wouldn't look good with that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wore a champagne dress and H wore a dark grey suit. Like Maggie said, they're both neutrals. They looked great together.

• Options
    I saw someone trying that on, and the shop stocked some sample suits and tuxes they put on manikins so brides and evening gown purchasers could solve such issues. The ombre looked terrible with tan, or with a very dark chocolate pinstripe. Made the dress bottom look just dirty. So did charcoal grey.

Medium grey with a touch of blue in shade, dove grey, and slate blue-grey , navy and midnight blue all looked excellent. Made the dress look more cream to golden. And a white or very light ivory but not yellowish cream shirt.
  • Options
    Let him wear whatever he wants. Personally, I think a black suit would look best since you're asking. And if the man wants to wear a white shirt, let him. My dress was cafe/ivory and H wore a white short with his tux - looked great.

My BMs wore navy and GMs wore black suits. The combo was fine and looks nice, classic.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm with Whatawag, tan or brown will be too matchy and make the dress look off. A gray will work well if it has cool or blue tones rather than a warm gray because blue compliments oranges and yellows, so the dress and the suit will make each other stand out. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Let him wear whatever he wants. Personally, I think a black suit would look best since you're asking. And if the man wants to wear a white shirt, let him. My dress was cafe/ivory and H wore a white short with his tux - looked great. My BMs wore navy and GMs wore black suits. The combo was fine and looks nice, classic.
    The bolded is the most important.  I am guessing he had zero say over what you are going to wear so you should have zero say over what he wants to wear.  If he wants to wear grey then let him.  It is not only important for you to feel great in what you are wearing but your Groom should feel just as great in his attire.  Remember the wedding day is not just about you, but about your Groom as well.

So just because you chose a dress with a champagne and gold color scheme doesn't mean that he still can't wear what he wants.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards