Moms and Maids

Bridal Party Gifts HELP!!

I am having a difficult time deciding on gifts for my bridesmaids. I've heard all kinds of ideas from robes, jewelry, sweatpants with their names, tote bags, etc. While I like the idea of jewelry that they could wear for the wedding and after, my MOH is allergic to all jewelry except white gold, which leaves me at an expensive start. While I want to spoil my girls and show them how much I appreciate all their hard work, a pair of earrings and necklace would start me at probably $200 per girl, and I don't want jewelry to be the only thing I get them. I want it to be thoughtful, personal to each girl, and something they would use after the wedding. I do like the robe idea also, but I just don't foresee my girls getting a lot of use out of them. How do people feel about the matching sweatpants? I would put their names on them, not "bridesmaid." I also wanted to do a little tote bag with wedding day "must-have's," flip flops, stuff like that. And then I was thinking maybe a gift card for a mani/pedi or something. And I also wanted to do something a little extra for my MOH for going above and beyond. Any ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Re: Bridal Party Gifts HELP!!

• Stop thinking 'bridesmaid' and start thinking about your friends and their tastes/interests. Anything to be worn for your wedding does not count as a gift. Matching anything should be avoided. Ditto monogrammed anything.
  • asiegle87 said:
    I am having a difficult time deciding on gifts for my bridesmaids. I've heard all kinds of ideas from robes, jewelry, sweatpants with their names, tote bags, etc. While I like the idea of jewelry that they could wear for the wedding and after, my MOH is allergic to all jewelry except white gold, which leaves me at an expensive start. While I want to spoil my girls and show them how much I appreciate all their hard work, a pair of earrings and necklace would start me at probably $200 per girl, and I don't want jewelry to be the only thing I get them. I want it to be thoughtful, personal to each girl, and something they would use after the wedding. I do like the robe idea also, but I just don't foresee my girls getting a lot of use out of them. How do people feel about the matching sweatpants? I would put their names on them, not "bridesmaid." I also wanted to do a little tote bag with wedding day "must-have's," flip flops, stuff like that. And then I was thinking maybe a gift card for a mani/pedi or something. And I also wanted to do something a little extra for my MOH for going above and beyond. Any ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
    You have nailed it with the bolded. You seem stuck in the wedding industry rut that pushing matching gifts, embroidered/personalized everything, etc. Shake that off - most of it doesn't get used after the wedding anyway.

Think about your BMs as individuals. Get a new yoga towel for the yogi, a cutting board and knife for the chef, a mug and assorted teas for the tea drinker, a book and a blanket for the home-body, a clutch for the bar hopper, a scarf and earrings for the accessory girl, a mani/pedi gift certificate for the pampered one.............

Take the wedding out of the equation and think about how you'd buy them a meaningful gift for anything else. Would it be a monogrammed tote or a robe? Probably not. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Shop for your girls like it was their birthday.  Nothing you give them should be mandatory or related to the wedding.  They will appreciate thoughtful and personal gifts. You definitely are right on track with guessing they probably don't want monogrammed robes or something similar.  Your gut instinct is right!

• I bought my girls all pieces of jewelry that fit their style.  One girl I got a gift card to foot locker because she loves Jordan sneakers and doesn't really wear jewelry.  I also bought them all earrings to wear to the day of the wedding.  All that monogrammed stuff is a waste of money imo. 
    Anniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers image due, March 15
  • Personalized sweatpants? No thanks.
  • I got my girls purple robes from yandy.com-cheapest place I could fine. Don't search 'bridesmaid robes' or anything with bridesmaid in front of it or it automatically raises the price! I didn't want to put 'bridesmaid' or anything on them because then I felt that they wouldn't be able to really use them again, I just left them blank so they could use them in the future. I also was going to get jewelry but some of my bridesmaids have dermal piercings in their chests and others don't have their ears pierced, so I opted for customized chevron tumbler glasses. I think you should think of things they could use in the future and not just something for that day. I would love to give them more but unfortunately our budget just doesn't allow it. I hope this helps!
  • All four of my girls have really similar taste, which makes shopping for them kind of difficult, because I want their gifts to be personalized.

I am making them all a little spa bag, with homemade bath salts, lip balm, candle, and a bottle of their favorite wine. I am also getting them jewelry for the day of, I am working on finding them all a different statement necklace that fits their tastes. I am also going to get them a gift certificate for a mani/pedi.

I was in a wedding in July, and the bride got us tacky jewelry I will never wear again, a hanger with our initial and her wedding date, and a mini emergency kit with a few bandaids, stain stick, a lipgloss and lotion. It was a sweet thought, but nothing I needed, or will use again. I would have much rather gotten a Starbucks gift card and a coffee cup.

Bottom line, think about your girls. What do they love, and what would they appreciate? If they all like jewelry, get them something that suites their tastes. If you want them to wear something in particular, make sure you get them something they will appreciate as well.  

• C Wonder is having 75% off...because they are closing. Before teh holidays they had a big sale and i got my girls initial plates that can be put on their bedside for jewlery or whatever they need to hold there.  The do still have them in zoidac signs if you want to get them something personal to them that is useful.  But I think that overall they will be grateful for whatever you give to them
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards