Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Let's talk about suits

I need at least one new suit for work.  We have a ton of depositions coming up and I will be traveling basically once a week, at least, for the next two months.  I'm ready to upgrade from my Ann Taylor Factory suits (it was a point of pride as a student to get all three suit pieces for $180, but I think that's not the best strategy anymore).  But I'd still like to keep the total cost for all three suit pieces under $500.  No Tahari for me just yet.

If you have to wear suits for work-- where do you shop?  What brands do you think are particularly long-lasting?  Any tips for fitting a big bust?  I've never shopped for a nice or middle-of-the-road suit before.  My first instinct is J. Crew but I have heard their suit quality isn't as good as it used to be.

Suit shopping is just lame.  Best case scenario is I walk out with a very well-fitting, very boring item of clothing I will wear as infrequently as possible.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: NWR: Let's talk about suits

• Options

Aww I thought you were talking about the show Suits when I read the title, haha!

My favourite places are Rietmans, H&M and Zara for blazers/pants. I've been meaning to go to Banana Republic, Club Monaco and JCrew to splurge on some better outfits and I've heard from friends those are the best...I'm cheap and HATE shopping for work clothes though. I'd rather spend my money at Sephora. Oops.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Ooooh Club Monaco is a good idea.  I was just in there recently for the first time and they had great work clothes.  I also realized Brooks Brothers is probably a good option for basic suits.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ooooh Club Monaco is a good idea.  I was just in there recently for the first time and they had great work clothes.  I also realized Brooks Brothers is probably a good option for basic suits.
    Nice I should check out Brooke Brothers if they're in Canada. I'm thinking this weekend I should bite the bullet and go buy nice work stuff...it's about time.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    I shop at H&M and Express for my suits. Express suits last me a  really long time. I also shop at Macy's. I had a couple of Tahari suits but they were just too boring for me. I shop at the juniors section, and get XOXO or Rampage. They're still professional, but stylish. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I wear jeans to work nearly every day. I bought a blazer for an interview, but it was from Express. :( I'd probably be hitting up a department store.

OOH I bet @magicink 's wifey could help!

• Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    pinkcow13 said:

I shop at H&M and Express for my suits. Express suits last me a  really long time. I also shop at Macy's. I had a couple of Tahari suits but they were just too boring for me. I shop at the juniors section, and get XOXO or Rampage. They're still professional, but stylish. 

I need boring. :-/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015

All of what @pinkcow13 said. When I graduated college, I got a Tahari suit for interviews for less than $100 at TJ Maxx. But I thought it was too matronly looking/ the lapels and stuff were just not my style. So I got an XOXO blazer from Macy's for $40 that I just pair with any black dress pants. I've done that for years and no one knows that weren't really a set. I also have 3 blazers from H&M that I adore (in different colors), but now I work in a plant wearing jeans and hoodies so it's sad that I never wear them.

This is dumb...but what is the 3rd piece of a suit? I know for men it's the vest but I didn't know women's had a third piece? I always wear a collared button down with the color folded over the blazer and the cuffs folder over the blazer. (that's the interview look, when I wear the fun colored blazers I just wear a fitted T underneath)All my button downs are also from H&M.

Sorry...I know nothing of "high end". I'm all about that bargain.

• Options
    Brooks Brothers would be good.  You said you have Ann Taylor Factor suits, but have you looked at regular Ann Taylor?  I have a charcoal suit (jacket with pants and a skirt) from there, and it was definitely much more than $180 and closer to your budget.  I looove all the pieces.  They can be boring when paired together with a plain blue or white button-up underneath, or you can wear a cute top and cardigan if you're just in the office/not with clients (maybe, not sure what your dress code is.)

• Options

I've had a couple of suits from The Limited that held up pretty well.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

All of what @pinkcow13 said. When I graduated college, I got a Tahari suit for interviews for less than $100 at TJ Maxx. But I thought it was too matronly looking/ the lapels and stuff were just not my style. So I got an XOXO blazer from Macy's for $40 that I just pair with any black dress pants. I've done that for years and no one knows that weren't really a set. I also have 3 blazers from H&M that I adore (in different colors), but now I work in a plant wearing jeans and hoodies so it's sad that I never wear them.

This is dumb...but what is the 3rd piece of a suit? I know for men it's the vest but I didn't know women's had a third piece? I always wear a collared button down with the color folded over the blazer and the cuffs folder over the blazer. (that's the interview look, when I wear the fun colored blazers I just wear a fitted T underneath)All my button downs are also from H&M.

Third piece is the skirt! I also have a fourth piece for one suit, a matching dress. Multiple pieces will be great for travel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

Yea, I hate my Tahari stuff, haha. I have only worn them for interviews. Well, and when I first started working at my job and I was all new and stuff.

I think for women a 3 piece suit includes a vest. I actually have a 3 piece suit from Express, but I never wear it together. Actually, now that I think of it, I think I just bought the vest portion and not the jacket. They were all sold separately. I love wearing the vest on its own. Well. Loved. I need to lose a few pounds before I can fit into it again....
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Most of my boring, make-the-corporate-office-happy suits are Tahari, Calvin Klein, Nipon, or Anne Klein. I purchased all of them from the major department store I used to work for. I just checked their website and you can find Tahari Arthur S. Levine suits for under $400, and they currently have a lot on sale/clearance. Most of what I have are suit separates since short + big boobs = nothing fits.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

Third piece is the skirt! I also have a fourth piece for one suit, a matching dress. Multiple pieces will be great for travel.
    lmao oh, oops!!!! Duh, the skirt!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Oooooh skirt that makes sense. I love to buy printed skirts that go with my black blazer. Like I have one skirt that's black & white houndtooth pattern, and one that's Christmas green with black designs on it (sort of like flowery/ fleur de lis shapes). But I get that you're a lawyer and probably expected to dress more "traditional professional" than that.

• Options
    I need at least one new suit for work.  We have a ton of depositions coming up and I will be traveling basically once a week, at least, for the next two months.  I'm ready to upgrade from my Ann Taylor Factory suits (it was a point of pride as a student to get all three suit pieces for $180, but I think that's not the best strategy anymore).  But I'd still like to keep the total cost for all three suit pieces under $500.  No Tahari for me just yet.

If you have to wear suits for work-- where do you shop?  What brands do you think are particularly long-lasting?  Any tips for fitting a big bust?  I've never shopped for a nice or middle-of-the-road suit before.  My first instinct is J. Crew but I have heard their suit quality isn't as good as it used to be.

Suit shopping is just lame.  Best case scenario is I walk out with a very well-fitting, very boring item of clothing I will wear as infrequently as possible.
    For a suit, Nordstrom. Free alterations, knowledgeable sales people. I have much love for Nordstrom.

(You know, MOH 's dress went to half price, seven months after we bought it. I called to see if we could do an exchange for a lower priced one, and she said, oh, don't fuss with coming in. I just pulled your card up and refunded a hundred back to it. God, I love those people.) 

• Options

For a suit, Nordstrom. Free alterations, knowledgeable sales people. I have much love for Nordstrom.

(You know, MOH 's dress went to half price, seven months after we bought it. I called to see if we could do an exchange for a lower priced one, and she said, oh, don't fuss with coming in. I just pulled your card up and refunded a hundred back to it. God, I love those people.) 

Can't bold on mobile. FREE ALTERATIONS???????
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Definitely check out Macy's -- periodically they have sales with decent suits for $69.99 or so.

It appears they're having some pretty good sale prices right now, too, at least online (even on Tahari!). If you go into the store and it's more, they'll price match the website, though. 

Look: 

Purely opinion: If you can get a good deal on a suit, it might not be a bad idea to go a size up to fit your bust, then have it tailored where necessary. Macy's does tailoring, too, although most of them have to send it away to have it done elsewhere. The most we ever did at my store was hems, but I doubt it would be a big deal to take the bust in/out either. 
  • Options
    I'm a lawyer too, and I think basically all of my suits are from the Ann Taylor Outlet and the Banana Republic Outlet except for 3.  I have an amazing, great fitting suit from Express and 2 really nice suits from Victoria's Secret of all places.  I love those suits.
  • Options

Can't bold on mobile. FREE ALTERATIONS???????
    Last time I bought a suit, yes. Unless something's changed. They totally rule my shopping world.
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    I get mine at Banana Republic, J Crew (if the sizing works, they fit enormous), Club Monaco...all those boooooooring mall stores, pretty much. The quality is good enough for me (if I don't go to the outlets) and then I can still afford to tailor stuff. I find you don't have to go high-end for suiting as long as the fabric is good (not synthetic) and you get it fitted for your body. That tricks everyone into thinking you've spent way more than you have, I find.

I'm busty but otherwise pretty petite, and all of those seem to have enough room in the chest for me in their blazers. But I do have pretty narrow shoulders, so YMMV.

I wish, wish, wish that my FI's suit guy did women's suits, though, because he gets totally custom stuff done in 100% wool with silk vest backing, fully sewn horsehair linings (not glued) for like $500, and they are cut perfectly. Jeeeeaaaaalous.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like Express and The Limited. I've also gotten stuff as H&M that's okay, but honestly the quality isn't quite there in comparison to my Express office clothing. 

• Options
    I'm a big fan of Brooks Brothers. 

Get on their mailing list (or search retailmenot) and they have 20 or 25% friends and family sales a couple times a year. SO worth it. Everything I've gotten there is really high quality and looks very professional and tailored. The sales people know their stuff, too.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I know wifey has bought, for both work and the wedding, from Macy's, Penny's, White House Black Market, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, and the Armani Exchange. 

Oh and Nordstrom's Off the Rack.
  • Options
    I've had some H&M suits for like 5 years - they're great.  I also like the Banana Republic/Loft ones, but my Loft ones have had some issues with falling apart.  Macy's is a good place too.  I haven't looked at Nordstrom but do like that they do alterations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Brooks Brother and Anne Taylor are my go to. Express doesn't fit my butt right.

My most recent two are from DF's tailor. $1,000 each, but jacket, two slacks, two skirts in black with very faint pink pin stripe, includes plain black slacks and skirt. Navy with faint silvery speckled, matching slacks and skirts, navy slacks and skirt, gray slacks and skirt. Both work with my plain black and navy blazers.
  • Options
    Classiques Entier at Nordstom, I see nice things in Bloomingdales, and Anne Klein Platinum has been surprisingly high quality.
  • Options
    I could not fully appreciate this on mobile.  This looks AWESOME.  Also really affordable and has great online reviews.  I'm making one now!  Squeeee!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I could not fully appreciate this on mobile.  This looks AWESOME.  Also really affordable and has great online reviews.  I'm making one now!  Squeeee!

I loved that you can change EVERY little detail, so there's no "I'd love this more with double welt pockets." Made me want to wear a suit to work!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards