Plus-Sized

First Time Dress Shopping

Hi ladies!

So we do not have a date set yet for our wedding, but we are thinking Fall 2016.

Anyway - being plus-sized I for sure have some body confidence issues. I just feel like nothing will look good on me (which analytically I know isn't true - and I know I'll find a dress that makes me feel beautiful - but . . . . I can't help feeling like that!)  

SO - I am taking a couple close friends and we are going next weekend to try on some dresses - mostly so I can see what styles look good ect. . . . 

Basically - any tips or suggestions from you ladies? I have a well-fitting strapless bra and some spanx I plan on wearing. 

At this point, with it being closer to 2 years out and no actual date set I am not planning on purchasing at this point - just to get a chance to see what looks good on my body. 
                                Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: First Time Dress Shopping

• make sure you call ahead of time to find out if they carry plus size samples if so ask them what the size ranges are and how many samples they have. The worst feeling would be to make an apointment get there and they have nothing for you to try on. make sure you ask how many samples they have in plus and remember bridal runs small so you have to go up two sizes depending on the style cut of the dress so factor that in when asking about the sample sizes. i am a street 22 i was able to get into 18s 20s but those i was kind of shoved in, 

if the sample is two big they will use clips to make it fit to your body so you can see how it works 

keep and open mind when it comes to trying on dresses go outside your comfort zone and be open to try on many styles. narrow down what designers you like the best and go from there

some designers that have plus size lines

mori lee- julietta
    bonny-unforgetable
    venus-women
    allure-women
    calista is a plus size only designer 

every designer out there has dresses to go up to a size 28-32 
    but you have more options when it comes to trying on dresses in the plus size specific lines 

good luck and happy dress shopping 
  • You are shopping extremely early (which you already know and realize).

Most bridal shops are on commission, and you're on a 'fact finding mission', so don't let yourself be bullied about the whole 'the dress may be discontinued'.  Yes it may be discontinued, however there will be more dresses that come out in several lines of clothes.

Don't be afraid to try on different shapes.  If you try on one fitted dress and you don't like it, don't be discouraged to try on a different one either though.  The first fitted dress I tried on, I HATED, then another shop talked me into trying a different fitted dress and I actually liked it.

As already stated - make sure the shop has plus size samples.  You'll be surprised what they have you in... I'm a street size 16 and they had me in a size 10 ballgown and another shop had me in a size 26 A-line dress.

Take pictures!  You may find you didn't like a dress but see the picture and realize the shape of the dress was really nice or you may love a dress and then look at pictures and realize it just doesn't look right on you.

Anniversary
  • Thanks for the tips guys!! I am going to Davids Bridal in my area - and there are 2 I really want to try on, and for some reason have been picturing myself in a tea-length wedding dress - so I want to make sure I try one of those on too. I am going to call tomorrow to let them know the style #'s I would love to try to see if they have them available. 

1st one I want to try:

Here's one of the short ones I like from the website:

@hyechica81 - I will for sure make sure I try on things out of my comfort zone -because who knows!!! I do know that they have plus size gowns to try on there b/c I have a friend who has gone - but I don't know how many. . . . or if they have the ones I would like to try on in stock . . . 

@Dignity100 - I know I'm early for sure, and I have absolutely thought about the fact that I will have to deal with them 'selling' to me. Not that I love to take up their time when they are on commission - but I just know I will feel so much better if I find a couple that don't make me feel like a stuffed sausage. I will make sure I try on different dresses in the same silhouette too - thanks for that suggestion! 
    And a friend of mine has suggested the pictures! Mirrors lie!!!!

Thanks guys!

• I went for my first looking for a dress at Alfred Angelo this afternoon and my favorite was 2450 in ivory. I could see me getting married in it. Since I have not looked anywhere else, I am still looking. Their plus sizes were very close to street sizes. I wear a 20 and my bridal size there was 22. 

• Oh that is beautiful! I went this past weekend and my favorite that I posted earlier looked FANTASTIC on me!! I was SO excited!! 

Another one that is right up there with it is this one:

I figure once we have a venue, date, and a more solidified vision for the wedding, finding the correct dress will be much easier.

I am glad I decided to go shopping and try a few styles on. It made me feel a lot more confident about the fact that I will be able to find the right dress for me when the time comes. 
    I tried a trumpet, and the first one I tried on looked phenomenal! But that one just wasn't the dress. . . . then the next 2 trumpets . . . . big old NOPE.

All of my favorites were a-lines. But the consultant kept on calling them fit-and-flares . . . But - they WERE NOT! My whole party and I were getting so annoyed about that!!! The tag said a-line, the website says a-line . . . . but SHE kept SAYING fit-and-flare. And I just didn't have the heart/balls to say NO. YOU ARE WRONG.

Anyway - thank you ladies for the support and tips! I appreciate it!

• Hi all

I just got my dress ordered 2 weeks ago. It was really funny because it is different than what I was going for....they only had the dress in a size 8 to be tried on. Even the employee was shocked.....but she shoved me in it. I am in a 14/16 right now...it was very funny. But I fell in love with the dress and they had another employee come in and model it for me.

http://casablancabridal.com/collections/fall-2014/#.VMB1zLs5DIV

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards