Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Returned for Better Address

We sent invitations out less than a week ago and people have already gotten them and started sending back RSVPs or requesting songs, but we got 1 invitation back from USPS, just 1, with a stamp on it that says "returned for better address" and an arrow pointing at the return address. 

We used a stamp for the return address on all of the invitations, I made sure the ink was clear and legible (and this particular one was one of the better ones) and all the other invitations found their way to their addressees, except of course this one. USPS obviously could read and understand the return address otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it back. I find this strange and I'm a little peeved that I now have to repackage this invitation, pay for the shipping cost again and try sending it again. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Returned for Better Address

• Options
    Maybe it means there was something missing from the address, like an apartment number?  Or N, S, E, W ? My aunt lives on a street that if you don't put S. before it, it won't get to her b/c there are 2 streets with that name and different house numbers on the N. one. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    So frustrating! I don't think this is an issue with the return address (because, like you said, the invitation made it back to your correct return address).  I think that arrow drawn on the invitation is probably misleading.  It has to be an issue with the address of whoever the invitation was intended for. 

Drop that person a quick line to double-check their address before you repackage the invitation and re-send. You definitely don't want it to get returned twice! 
    --

• Options
    vulpiepop said:
    We sent invitations out less than a week ago and people have already gotten them and started sending back RSVPs or requesting songs, but we got 1 invitation back from USPS, just 1, with a stamp on it that says "returned for better address" and an arrow pointing at the return address. 

We used a stamp for the return address on all of the invitations, I made sure the ink was clear and legible (and this particular one was one of the better ones) and all the other invitations found their way to their addressees, except of course this one. USPS obviously could read and understand the return address otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it back. I find this strange and I'm a little peeved that I now have to repackage this invitation, pay for the shipping cost again and try sending it again. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Clearly the problem was with the recipient's address. Your return address was not the issue. As PP said, call your guest to verify her address.
  • Options
    Maybe the arrow means "return to sender"?  Like that is the new address to which the invitation was to be directed toward?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    That happened to me too! My sister's best friend is living with her for the time being. The invites were printed one after the after with my sister's printed first and then her best friend printed right after. Nothing but the name was changed. However, the best friend's invite came back asking for better address.
  • Options
    Yup, that definitely means there was a problem with the recipient's address. Double check with that person, but something loveontheplayground said reminded me that when I lived in a college town the mailman refused to deliver mail to someone whose last name was not posted inside the mailbox. I guess because of the high turnover rate in the student rental properties,the USPS got frustrated and required everyone to put his/her last name on the list. Just something to consider.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards