Chit Chat
Options

Addressing STDs

That's how I spent a good part of my day.  I thought we were keeping the wedding "small" but when I actually had to write out all the addresses and counting them up - we're inviting 154, including 20 minors.  That seems CRAZY to me, as I don't even know that many people!  We basically just took lists from our parents of "must have relatives."  I didn't bother with STDs for the 10 friends FI wants to invite... if he cares to get their address they can get one later on.  I wrote out 49 envelopes and waiting on 5 addresses.  I even hand delivered to my immediate family as soon as they came in!  I didn't know how to address for adult children living at home, so I mostly defaulted to "The XX Family."

I'm sure many won't make it, and we have a venue minimum of 100 anyway, but geez!  I'm not looking forwarding to addressing even more envelopes when the adult children get their own invitations!

Did anyone else have a moment when they realized OMG this is out of control?  We did the guest list 6 months ago, but I feel like I didn't comprehend it until today!  That's what I get for avoiding wedding planning I suppose...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Addressing STDs

• Options
    luckya23 said:

That's how I spent a good part of my day.  I thought we were keeping the wedding "small" but when I actually had to write out all the addresses and counting them up - we're inviting 154, including 20 minors.  That seems CRAZY to me, as I don't even know that many people!  We basically just took lists from our parents of "must have relatives."  I didn't bother with STDs for the 10 friends FI wants to invite... if he cares to get their address they can get one later on.  I wrote out 49 envelopes and waiting on 5 addresses.  I even hand delivered to my immediate family as soon as they came in!  I didn't know how to address for adult children living at home, so I mostly defaulted to "The XX Family."

I'm sure many won't make it, and we have a venue minimum of 100 anyway, but geez!  I'm not looking forwarding to addressing even more envelopes when the adult children get their own invitations!

Did anyone else have a moment when they realized OMG this is out of control?  We did the guest list 6 months ago, but I feel like I didn't comprehend it until today!  That's what I get for avoiding wedding planning I suppose...

I realized I was in for one hell of a writer's cramp when I realized how many family members I'm obligated to send STDs to, just because it's a courtesy in my family to send them to matriarchs and patriarchs. We don't expect all of them to show up, but it's more of a "They have a right to know and not telling them is rude" deal.

Unrelated, I forgot that on here STD is "save the date," and stopped for a minute before checking out this thread.
  • Options

alexandducky412?

I just counted up and it looks like I will have 14 additional for the adult children, 5 more for FI's friends, and 5 for family.  I guess that's 78 total?!  Plus there are some other relatives we may add, but decided they don't need STDs. 

• Options
    I dread this. 

We didn't do STDs. I have been editing the invite list today ahead of sending out invitations since FI supplied me with half nicknames and half real names. We are at 190.

It definitely hit me today just how many freaking people that is. I feel ya. 
  • Options
    maeday2 said:
    I dread this. 

We didn't do STDs. I have been editing the invite list today ahead of sending out invitations since FI supplied me with half nicknames and half real names. We are at 190.

Thankfully, FI's mother was fairly on top of their side of the family!  Hearing about his cousin's PPD "this summer" was what lit a fire under my butt to get theirs out ASAP!

My mom did most of my side too.

Did you order your invites already?  When is your wedding?

• Options
    luckya23 said:

alexandducky412?

I just counted up and it looks like I will have 14 additional for the adult children, 5 more for FI's friends, and 5 for family.  I guess that's 78 total?!  Plus there are some other relatives we may add, but decided they don't need STDs. 

We haven't written them out yet, as it's too far from the actual wedding date, but our list will probably reach well over 100 STDs (because of the courtesy thing). At this point, I'm thinking we should just get fancy address sticker paper and print out the labels.
  • Options

Good plan!

I wish I hadn't been too lazy to drive to Staples this morning, myself!

• Options
    Blegh. I sent 135 invitations, each of which was hand-tied with a bow and addressed with calligraphy. My hand hurts just thinking about it.

• Options
    Blegh. I sent 135 invitations, each of which was hand-tied with a bow and addressed with calligraphy. My hand hurts just thinking about it.

WOW!!  Ouch!

• Options
    You are a brave person.
  • Options
    I believe adult children living at home get their own invite addressed to them.

I *only* had to do 50, but a lot of DH's family lives overseas so figuring out foreign addresses and spelling in not English was a PITA.

Anniversary
  • Options
    luckya23 said:
    maeday2 said:
    I dread this. 

Thankfully, FI's mother was fairly on top of their side of the family!  Hearing about his cousin's PPD "this summer" was what lit a fire under my butt to get theirs out ASAP!

My mom did most of my side too.

Did you order your invites already?  When is your wedding?

My FMIL will be my key to success, too. FI needs to get with her to double check proper name spellings. 

I designed my invitations and they'll be printed locally. I hope to have them printed by next week so they can go out in March. 

The wedding is May 2. It seems so far but crazy close, too. 

• Options
    I freaked out when I realized that H has 70 or so relatives that were must-invites ... and that's just on his mom's side! I kind of calmed down a bit when I met them all at his cousin's wedding that fall. I then realized that they are a super close family and that I was going to love having them there, and I was right.
  • Options
    My handwriting is horrible so my mom took the addressing job away from me. Ha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I freaked out when I realized that H has 70 or so relatives that were must-invites ... and that's just on his mom's side! I kind of calmed down a bit when I met them all at his cousin's wedding that fall. I then realized that they are a super close family and that I was going to love having them there, and I was right.
    My H's family is like that. His mom is one of 8 siblings, so he has 14 aunts and uncles and 31 first cousins on that side. He's also one of 5 siblings. Add grandparents and his dad's side and 85 of our invitees were just his family. If we'd included his cousins' children it would have been at least 20 more.

They ALL get together in one house for Christmas. It's normally about 75 people.

• Options
    I did not handwrite the addresses. Printer for the win.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

My H's family is like that. His mom is one of 8 siblings, so he has 14 aunts and uncles and 31 first cousins on that side. He's also one of 5 siblings. Add grandparents and his dad's side and 85 of our invitees were just his family. If we'd included his cousins' children it would have been at least 20 more.

They ALL get together in one house for Christmas. It's normally about 75 people.

---------------
    Yep. H's mom is one of 6, and they all have kids and their kids are starting to have kids. We are driving home from their annual family reunion right now (which is like a delayed Christmas party). There were only 30 gifts at the table for the white elephant, so it was a small gathering this year (last year we had 52 gifts, and there some families that brought one gift). The party lasted until midnight, with 3 poker tables in one room and a big group playing "Heads Up" in the other. It was awesome, and I love that I'm included in the annual pic of female cousins.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    I did not handwrite the addresses. Printer for the win.
    Agreed. Found a pretty font and went with it. 

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards