Chit Chat
Options

Phone apps you wish were real

The Meal Planning thread has got me to thinking of phone apps I wish were real or someone would bring my attention to them.

I wish there was an app that brought local people together that want to meal plan and grocery shop to help cut costs.

There are some items (fruits and veggies and paper products) I know make sense cost wise to purchase in bulk, but with it just being H and I it typically goes to waste.  There's this bag of mini peppers I want to buy at the local grocery store so I have something different for on top of my salads.  It's a big ass bag.  I'm the only one in our household who eats them, they give H stomach problems.  I can't eat that big bag by myself.  Last time I bought it I gave 3/4 of it to a coworker.  Well I just spent $8 and gave $6 of it away.

I'd also like someone to powwow with and make menus where we can use items for multiple recipes that week.
Like I have this recipe that uses bok choy - well I only need half of it, what am I going to do with the rest?  It can sit there and go to waste, I can make a double batch of whatever I'm making and let it go to waste (I will eat leftovers until they're gone, but H has this aversion to them), or I find this other recipe that calls for something else wild and ends up getting used, but then I have these other wild items taking up space in my fridge or cupboards (hoisen sauce anyone).

What phone apps do you wish were real?
Anniversary

Re: Phone apps you wish were real

• Options
    lurkergirllurkergirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    When I have too much of a vegetable, I just cut it up and freeze it. With weird sauces I just buy the smallest bottle available (I don't care if it's more per unit because even if I get more I will just throw it away.)

ETAç Sorry I realize that isn't the point of the thread. I can't think of an app I want but don't have.

• Options
    H and I can't get mail delivery at our house so we have a PO Box. It's a giant pain in the ass and I hate it. I wish there was a phone app that would tell me when I actually have mail so that I don't waste my time stopping to check the PO box on my way home from work because my commute is long enough as it is. And tell me what's in the PO box so I don't stop just to pick up junk mail. That would be awesome.
  • Options
    I want a drunk texting/calling app. A breathaylzer of some sort to deem if you're sober enough to text or call. Or a separate contact book for people that are "safe" to contact when sober/drunk. I would make MILLIONS.

@mikenberger--I believe their is an app like this. It makes you do math and other simple problems before it allows you to call or text. I think that you have to connect it to contacts at a certain time as well.

I know this would never happen, but I want an app that turns pictures of food into the actual food hot and ready to eat.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    A few:

1. An app that comes up with witty/snarky/jackass responses to bullshit people say. It listens in through your phone (though only when I want it to, obviously) and offers it up immediately. I hate it when I can think of a snarky comeback fast enough.

2. An app that immediately provides me with delicious healthy meals and snacks whenever I'm about to reach for junkfood. I spy peanut butter M & Ms and would make better decisions if someone placed a pile of carrot sticks in front of my face instead.
  • Options
    It's not a phone app, but I want a remote control to unlock my house door the same way my car one works. I always catch myself pointing my clicker at the front door and then realizing "no asshole, it doesn't work that way."

I also catch myself reaching for my phone instead of my wireless laptop mouse. An app that would turn my phone into a bluetooth mouse would be awesome.

• Options
    AGREE!!!  I can't tell you how many times I've had these EXACT same thoughts about shopping / meal planning / etc.
  • Options
    It's not a phone app, but I want a remote control to unlock my house door the same way my car one works. I always catch myself pointing my clicker at the front door and then realizing "no asshole, it doesn't work that way."

I also catch myself reaching for my phone instead of my wireless laptop mouse. An app that would turn my phone into a bluetooth mouse would be awesome.
    I think there are security systems you can install in your house that will allow you to open it and control various things from your phone!
  • Options

I think there are security systems you can install in your house that will allow you to open it and control various things from your phone!
    Yeah I don't necessarily want it on my phone for every day purposes, although some of the "smart house" capabilities are awesome... just but having it built into the keys I already have in my hand would be awesome when it's raining and my hands are full of grocery bags! Instead I just don't lock my house door. :)

• Options

I have a key fob for the alarm system and it's honestly the best modern convenience possible. 
  • Options
    An alarm clock that actually made me get out of bed would be nice

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    You need Clockie!

• Options
    pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I'd like an app that could generate money. Then I'd be like 
    image.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options

chibiyui said:

You need Clockie!

My husband would kill me.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    I keep my alarm device (clock/phone/whatevs) across the room and use the most annoying sound I can find. That way I absolutely must get out of bed to make the noise stop.

I also used to have a clock that required you to push several buttons in the correct sequence to get the noise to stop. It was amazing at getting me out of bed and I hated it.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    The best way I found to actually make me get up was setting a lamp timer to turn on at the time I needed to be up. Couldn't snooze it, couldn't sleep through the light, didn't have to actually look at the clock to see what time it was - if the light is on, get yo' ass up. It's a lot more peaceful of a way to wake up, too.

I actually need to find a better lamp timer so I can start doing that again... the one I was using made an ever-so-quiet ticking noise that bothered H.

• Options
    The best way I found to actually make me get up was setting a lamp timer to turn on at the time I needed to be up. Couldn't snooze it, couldn't sleep through the light, didn't have to actually look at the clock to see what time it was - if the light is on, get yo' ass up. It's a lot more peaceful of a way to wake up, too.

I actually need to find a better lamp timer so I can start doing that again... the one I was using made an ever-so-quiet ticking noise that bothered H.

We have that too. I wear an eye mask now ::hangs head in shame::
  • Options
    The Meal Planning thread has got me to thinking of phone apps I wish were real or someone would bring my attention to them.

I wish there was an app that brought local people together that want to meal plan and grocery shop to help cut costs.

There are some items (fruits and veggies and paper products) I know make sense cost wise to purchase in bulk, but with it just being H and I it typically goes to waste.  There's this bag of mini peppers I want to buy at the local grocery store so I have something different for on top of my salads.  It's a big ass bag.  I'm the only one in our household who eats them, they give H stomach problems.  I can't eat that big bag by myself.  Last time I bought it I gave 3/4 of it to a coworker.  Well I just spent $8 and gave $6 of it away.

I'd also like someone to powwow with and make menus where we can use items for multiple recipes that week.
    Like I have this recipe that uses bok choy - well I only need half of it, what am I going to do with the rest?  It can sit there and go to waste, I can make a double batch of whatever I'm making and let it go to waste (I will eat leftovers until they're gone, but H has this aversion to them), or I find this other recipe that calls for something else wild and ends up getting used, but then I have these other wild items taking up space in my fridge or cupboards (hoisen sauce anyone).

What phone apps do you wish were real?
    Building off this, I wish there was an app (maybe there is) that would keep track of what you have in your kitchen/pantry and would suggest recipes so you're not only trying new meals but also able to use what you have.  And you'd know if you need to get some staple, like vinegar or salt. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    chibiyui said:
    You need Clockie!
    My husband would kill me.
    Clockie sounds like my mortal enemy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsdee15 said:
    Building off this, I wish there was an app (maybe there is) that would keep track of what you have in your kitchen/pantry and would suggest recipes so you're not only trying new meals but also able to use what you have.  And you'd know if you need to get some staple, like vinegar or salt. 
    Seriously. I hate standing in the canned goods aisle and wondering whether I have things like canned tomatoes. I always guess wrong. 

I might have dreamed it (dreamt? is that a word?), but I thought I heard about a concept for a smart fridge that would tell you things like that, alert you when you're low on eggs, etc.

• Options
    mrsdee15 said:
    Seriously. I hate standing in the canned goods aisle and wondering whether I have things like canned tomatoes. I always guess wrong. 

I might have dreamed it (dreamt? is that a word?), but I thought I heard about a concept for a smart fridge that would tell you things like that, alert you when you're low on eggs, etc.
    Canned tomatoes are always the thing I need but don't have.  And I need to find this fridge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I need a smart fridge at my workplace to let me know when people get sticky fingers. 

• Options
    maeday2 said:
    I need a smart fridge at my workplace to let me know when people get sticky fingers. 

OR WHEN MOTHERFUCKERS THROW AWAY MY PERFECTLY GOOD HALF & HALF.

I may still be harboring a TINY bit of resentment.

• Options
    maeday2 said:

OR WHEN MOTHERFUCKERS THROW AWAY MY PERFECTLY GOOD HALF & HALF.

I may still be harboring a TINY bit of resentment.
    Grounds for termination, right there. Our cleaning team empties the fridge every Friday, regardless of expiration dates. It's bullshit. 

I've found some of my good glasslock containers in the sink at work and gotten PISSED. Assholes ate my lunch and didn't even tried to hide the evidence. 

I grocery shopped on lunch today (because 5pm grocery stores) and I am scared to see if it's all still there. 
  • Options
    maeday2 said:
    Grounds for termination, right there. Our cleaning team empties the fridge every Friday, regardless of expiration dates. It's bullshit. 

I've found some of my good glasslock containers in the sink at work and gotten PISSED. Assholes ate my lunch and didn't even tried to hide the evidence. 

I grocery shopped on lunch today (because 5pm grocery stores) and I am scared to see if it's all still there. 
    It's technically the rule here, but it's not consistently followed. There were several yogurts and a few tubs of cream cheese that survived the last "cleaning." And this particular fridge only gets cleaned maybe once a month.

• Options
    H and I can't get mail delivery at our house so we have a PO Box. It's a giant pain in the ass and I hate it. I wish there was a phone app that would tell me when I actually have mail so that I don't waste my time stopping to check the PO box on my way home from work because my commute is long enough as it is. And tell me what's in the PO box so I don't stop just to pick up junk mail. That would be awesome.
    This is a GOOD one!  I can't believe something like this doesn't exist- you should make it happen!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards