Honeymoon Discussions

San Juan, Puerto Rico

My fiancé and I are getting married in Dallas, TX on June 6th, 2015. We are currently looking at San Juan, Puerto Rico for our honeymoon. We would get there Sunday evening and return Friday afternoon. I would really appreciate any advice of things to do and hotel reviews from other honeymooners.
We are both very outgoing, we love to eat and drink. Always up to try new things.
Nothing is booked yet so any other advice is welcomed. We originally were going to go for Costa Rica until we found out it would be right in the middle of the horrible rain season.

Thanks in advance!

Re: San Juan, Puerto Rico

• Old San Juan is so cool, we spent some time there on our honeymoon. We had a great tour guide who took us to the forts and showed us the oldest church and houses in America. We visited the restaurant where the pina colada was invented, Barrachina. The beaches in PR are soooo nice! Very soft sand and not very crowded in September. There's also this really big mall, Plaza Las Americas was a fun day trip as well. We also went to the El Yunque Rainforest and hiked to the rainforest, which was a cool experience. We didn't stay in San Juan but I would've much preferred that. Our place the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar was nice but it was kind of isolated, but it had it's own private beach which I loved. 

Also just a word of advice you will probably want to rent a car, but the GPS and road signs don't match up at all so it can get very stressful, also lots of people drive really slow there and can't stay in their lanes. Oh and every restaurant we went to local or American, the service was always very slow, I guess it's just the cultural living on an island attitude. Other than that you're going to love it. Have fun and good luck :) 
  • We are sailing out of San Juan for a cruise in October and I just booked our hotel for the nigut before. Hotwire was running a special for an extra $20 off so I got an amazing deal for La Concha resort in the Condado area right on the beach. If you want a beachy area, go with Condado. Old San Juan is cool and at the very least, go wander around there for a day. Also, @QueerFemme‌ spent time there on her honeymoon in some places off the beaten path so she'd give you great recommendations.
  • This is one of our possible choices as well! I really hope you enjoy yourselves! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love Puerto Rico.  We went on our honeymoon and we are actually going back there next week. 

I will say, I did not enjoy San Juan as much as the rest of the island.  It's very touristy, and crowded. I wanted a leisurely vacation.   We also aren't resort type of people either. I didn't want to be with 5,000 other people in a high rise hotel.  So, we stayed at locally owned spots. 

We REALLY love Rincon, which is a city on the other side of the island. It's only about a 2-3 hour drive from San Juan, and there are little guest houses right on the beach.  They aren't fancy or have a ton of amenities, but they are fabulous and quiet.   My favorite is:

I did enjoy the day trip to the rain forest, and we went snorkeling about 30 minutes away from the rain forest.  It was awesome.

I totally agree about the renting a car thing.  Unless you are going to check into a hotel and just stay there, or only right around the hotel, you need a car.  There are a ton of places to explore on the island.  

From San Juan, we stayed at the Tres Palmas Inn.  Also, not fancy, but very nice.  It's outside of the main tourist area, has easy street parking, and not super crowded.  But, still an easy 5-10 minute drive to Old San Juan. 

• The two must-haves I always recommend to anyone visiting Puerto Rico.

• Visit El Yunque
    • Take a ferry to Culebra island

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My husband and I have been to San Juan several times and it is one of our favorite places in the world - we even got engaged there in 2013! We have only stayed at the Ritz and have had the greatest times there. For specifics on the hotel, feel free to ask! San Juan itself is very safe compared with other Caribbean locations we have been to, and we have never felt endangered or even uncomfortable. On the contrary, we have met some of the warmest and most welcoming people there.

Old San Juan itself is a beautiful city that is surrounded by two forts abutting the ocean. If either of you are into history, I would recommend hitting El Morro up for a tour. A very cool experience. My husband and I are adventurous people and love to experience new foods and drinks, so one of our favorite things to do in Old San Juan is wander around and randomly select restaurants to grab tapas and drinks, doing a food/drink tour and experiencing lots of new places, then returning to our favorites for dinner throughout the remainder of the week. Mofongo is one of the native Puerto Rican dishes and is one of my favorite foods. You will find many different variations, depending on which restaurants you go to. 

Some of our favorite places to go in Old San Juan include:
    - Marmalade: very inventive food and drinks. White bean soup and lobster risotto to die for!
    - Tantra: extensive martini list (maybe 50+?) and Indian food
    - El Batey: a must-see dive bar. Bring a sharpie!
    - Barrachina: our favorite mofongo with a combination of shrimp, beef and chicken. Claims to be the birthplace of the pina colada, but so do a lot of other places in San Juan!

There are also various amazing day trips you can attend while in Puerto Rico. Our hotel offered several, we have done catamaran snorkeling (the best snorkeling we've ever experienced approx. 30 minutes offshore via catamaran), hiking in the El Yunque rainforest, and an amazing kayaking tour of the Biobay, one of the only natural bioluminescent bays in the world. 

Clearly I could go on and on but I think I'll stop there... I hope this was helpful to you! Please let me know if you have any questions! Below is a pic I took right before we got engaged... it was at one of the forts overlooking the ocean at sunset. 
    hpubride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards