Not Engaged Yet
Options

Confessions/II/UO

Re: Confessions/II/UO

• Options
    @eilis1228 I had a couple people in the bridal party not RSVP intentionally. They were like, you know we are coming, why do we need to RSVP? It really annoyed me. People who don't RSVP are irritating, but it shouldn't be as bad as you think it will be to round up the slackers.

• Options
    @eilis1228 I had a couple people in the bridal party not RSVP intentionally. They were like, you know we are coming, why do we need to RSVP? It really annoyed me. People who don't RSVP are irritating, but it shouldn't be as bad as you think it will be to round up the slackers.
    Eeks. I've done this as a bridal party member before. ::monkeyface::

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    CLoGreenEyes ummm if they still haven't paid you, then I think you get as long of a lunch break as you would like.  

eilis1228 Only have off Saturday and Sunday.  I'll probably go Saturday; unless the couch sucks me in. 
  • Options
    TwoDimes said:
    I think this kind of thing depends on the formality of the meal and the reception. I didn't RSVP to my sister's wedding because 1) she knew I was coming, obviously; 2) she knew I wasn't bringing a guest; and 3) it was a buffet. 

If it's unclear whether your RSVP would be for 1 or 2, or if you have to make a meal choice, then I can see how it would be annoying to have to round up those RSVPs of bridal party members.
    I mean, I get it's obvious. They are in the bridal party, OF COURSE they are coming. But I still think it's polite to send a response (regardless if my event is black tie or a backyard bbq). It's kind of like...some brides don't send out invitations to immediate family members or the bridal party because they know they are coming. That annoys me too. Everyone on the list deserves an invitation regardless if you know they are coming or not and I guess I feel the same way about RSVPs.

• Options
    TwoDimes said:
    I think this kind of thing depends on the formality of the meal and the reception. I didn't RSVP to my sister's wedding because 1) she knew I was coming, obviously; 2) she knew I wasn't bringing a guest; and 3) it was a buffet. 

If it's unclear whether your RSVP would be for 1 or 2, or if you have to make a meal choice, then I can see how it would be annoying to have to round up those RSVPs of bridal party members.
    A friend of mine who was a BM in another friend's wedding last year purposely didn't RSVP. She says she's going to send the RSVP in waaaaaay after the wedding as a joke since obviously the bride knew she would be coming. I understand that frame of mind, and it's true that we know our wedding party will 100% be in attendance. From a planning aspect though, it's nice (at least for me) to only have to check one spreadsheet/list/website to get the number of people coming to whatever event. If I have to look at that number and somehow remember to add the people I know that are coming but didn't RSVP and double check by going through text messages, emails, and other chats, it gets to be a pain in the butt. 

• Options
    TwoDimes said:

I mean, I get it's obvious. They are in the bridal party, OF COURSE they are coming. But I still think it's polite to send a response (regardless if my event is black tie or a backyard bbq). It's kind of like...some brides don't send out invitations to immediate family members or the bridal party because they know they are coming. That annoys me too. Everyone on the list deserves an invitation regardless if you know they are coming or not and I guess I feel the same way about RSVPs.
    I agree with this sentiment too. The wedding party and immediate family are considered honored guests, and they should be afforded the same respect as other wedding guests. It may be silly and superfluous, but I think they should get the formal invitations and RSVP too. 

• Options
    TwoDimes said:
    Confession: I am (probably) very behind on wedding planning, but I'm not too worried about it. I started a new job, moved into a new house, and got a puppy in the last 6 months. I've been too wrapped up in other things to even think about the wedding. Sorry not sorry!

Confession: The Bachelor show annoys the hell out of me, but I'm watching it anyway. It's like a train wreck, and I can't tear my eyes away from it. Same with Celebrity Apprentice.

II: My coworker somehow turns EVERY conversation back to herself, and she has a "relevant" comment to add to every conversation. If your best friend just got killed by a drunk driver, then she tells the story of her sister's-best friend's-cousin's-husband getting killed by a drunk driver 5 years ago. If your 1 year old baby just took his first steps, she tells an irrelevant story about her 25 year old's first steps. JFC, not everything is about you! Sometimes I want to scream "NOBODY ASKED YOU, PATRICE!" HIMYM-style. 

II: Indy is growing too fast! I SWEAR she grew during a 30 minute nap yesterday. She went to sleep all adorably tiny and woke up bigger. Stay tiny, little puppy!
    People like this drive me absolutely BONKERS, and I wish I could see you pull out your inner Robin on her ;)

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    Confession: Ever since I mentioned my vacation at the beginning of the thread I have done NOTHING at work but look up vacation packages...... I'm starting to think Jamaica. Anyone been there?

• Options
    @AlPacina - FI and I stayed at the Grand Palladium in Jamaica in...2013? I think?

It was the prettiest resort I've ever stayed at; I highly recommend it. I got a great deal on cheapcaribbean.com for nice suite too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@Hummingbird125 - I know EXACTLY how you feel about that traffic! The worst part of mine is that I take the right lane to head north, which has fewer people than everyone needing to head south, into the city. So I stay in the right lane, and IT ends up getting backed up because people take that lane to try and merge over into the south-bound lane at the very last second before exiting, screwing over everyone behind them..... It's the biggest clusterfuck of an on-ramp I've ever seen.

Also, THANK YOU for the resort recommendation! It looks awesome!

• Options
    AlPacina said:
    Confession: Ever since I mentioned my vacation at the beginning of the thread I have done NOTHING at work but look up vacation packages...... I'm starting to think Jamaica. Anyone been there?
    I went to Jamaica and liked it except one point.  We went to Ocho Rios and climbed the falls.  The only way out of the falls is to walk through one of those flea markets where they pull people into their stands.  If this hadn't happened I'd definitely go back again. 
  • Options
    Two baby-related confessions to follow, skip ahead if you're not interested in reading!

Confession (?) - I was supposed to start a new BCP pack on Friday. On Thursday night, FI and I had a really in-depth conversation about birth control that he initiated (!!!). He basically let me know that he was 100% on board with me going off hormonal birth control now, so that I could start seeing what my (naturally irregular) cycle is doing, and so that I can stop dealing with the (mildly irritating) side effects of BCP. Although we are decidedly NOT trying to get KTFU until after our wedding (at the earliest), it still felt like a very big, grown-up, step to decide as a couple that we would stop relying on birth control pills, and start preparing for the fast-approaching time when we'd be actually trying to ... get me knocked up. It's also strange to think that now that I'm off the pills I've been taking for the past many years, I likely won't be going back ON them until after I have a freakin' baby. It just feels very...strange, but in a cool and exciting way!

Confession - I really wish that I had more than one friend who was planning on having a baby anytime soon. I'm worried that whenever I do get KTFU I won't have anyone to really talk about it with other than my mom. I wish some of my closer friends who want children were at least getting close to that point so that we could share our experiences. I'm a very social person, and I'd be miserable if I lost touch with a bunch of friends.

Baby-stuff over.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Irrational Irritation - When I'm reading the comments below a recipe posted online, and people ask a zillion questions like "Can I use tofu instead of chicken?" or "I did this recipe, but I used A,B,and C instead of X, Y, and Z, and I cooked in on the stove instead of in a crock-pot - and it tasted good/bad/whatever." If someone makes a minor tweak and it worked - AWESOME, or if you followed the recipe exactly and it SUCKED, you should comment - but other than that, I get super annoyed.

Non-irrational irritation - When I'm commuting home and after going over the bridge I have to get over to the right lane because that's the one that goes north and the left lane goes south - and drivers ALWAYS stay on the left side until the last second (because there is never traffic on the side) and then cut off dozens of cars that have been patiently crawling along. What in the fucking world makes those people (many of them truck drivers) think that they have the right to get to where they are going faster than I do? 

• Options
    AlPacina said:
    I went to Jamaica and liked it except one point.  We went to Ocho Rios and climbed the falls.  The only way out of the falls is to walk through one of those flea markets where they pull people into their stands.  If this hadn't happened I'd definitely go back again. 
    And this is the kind of shit I can't handle as a tourist. So...... Maybe not going to that waterfall at the very least.

• Options
    @alpacina I am so sorry that people react that way to your dog! FI's family has the cutest pit bull mix and I adore him! I really think many times it is the owner and not the dog (I say many and not all because sometimes it is the dog's personality, but it isn't the majority of the time). And yay for vacation planning. FI is the same way; not a planner at all. 

@clogreeneyes that is illegal! I hope they pay you soon! I think most consultations with attorneys are free if you need legal assistance. I hope that the new opportunity works out for you! Sending hugs!

@audreweh that's terrible! While I personally don't agree with wearing leggings as pants, justifying it through tempting males is not okay. That's the same logic used for rape victims; that they shouldn't be wearing revealing clothing. No, that's not how it works! HUGS! And I am sure you look fabulous wearing them today :)

Confession: I don't know what to change my name to when FI and I get married, and it's really bothering me. I like the sound of his last name with mine, but I also am really leaning toward wanting to hyphenate our last names together. He doesn't like hyphenated names though, so I am really stuck. I imagine that this will be the biggest issue facing us during planning. I don't want to give up my last name entirely though because I am literally the last in my family with this last name, and would love to figure out a way for my children to have it too, even if it means having a hyphenated one.  We can trace that side back over 600 years and to have it die with me is depressing honestly. 

Completely Rational Irritation: I really hate having 10 am meetings and then having to work late with China. I feel guilty leaving early to take the afternoon off though, but otherwise I am in the office for 8 hours and then work another 5+ at home. 

UO: I really want the venue coordinator to email me back and work out all of the details now while my afternoons are free. I would rather book everything now (i.e. florist and rentals etc.) and not worry about it when I do get stressed in April with a new project at work that will probably keep me busy until December. 

• Options
    @AlPacina - I didn't leave the resort at all. I had been to Jamaica a few times as a kid and have vivid memories of people trying to sell stuff to us outside of the resort, so I had no interest in leaving. I saw it as purely a nice tropical beach trip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @TwoDimes I think it would be a no brainer if there were others in my family who could carry on the name, because my first name does sound good with FI's last name. The first two letters of each are identical and both my first and his last are 2 syllables; similar to Katelyn Kabel if that makes sense (that's a made up name to illustrate what I mean and not my actual name). But I am an only child, and my only aunt and uncle who have this last name don't have children. My last name is also two syllables long, so I think the hyphen would work, but I'm not entirely sure. 

• Options
    @aurorarose41 The last name subject hits one close to home..
    I'm an only child and my dad is the oldest of 4 brothers.
    I was the first girl to be born in my family for almost 100 years..
    So this last name generally is very old since there were always boys in the family..
    We chose what last name our kids will have at the ceremony and it feels
    sad that it's either mine or Fi's.And of course it's the second.

• Options
    @aurorarose41 - That's really cool about your family. Last summer I was reading a book one of my relatives had put together about our family genealogy, and we had people who were legit on the Mayflower. I thought it was so awesome, and would probably feel similar to you if I had that last name - but it was my mom's dad's side, so it doesn't really matter. You'll figure out what works best for you. :)

• Options
    Thanks ladies! @GoldenPenguin that's really cool about having ancestors who were on the Mayflower! I forgot to mention that part of it is that we can directly trace our line back to a very prominent leader in a revolution to gain independence from Spanish rule in South America (he is literally celebrated as much as George Washington is here), and we still have the same last name as this person did. 

• Options

Confession: I've cried almost daily about our cat that passed away 2 months ago today.  I miss her so so much. I hate feeling this way.  I just can't believe how much I miss her, it's not like we don't have other cats either.  I don't know how handle that either.

II: is that a backwards L in Marylab's signature it's confusing the hell out of me. 

My co-worker today who insists on doing conference call (in cube farm mind you) on speaker phone!! You have a wireless headset use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@minskat30 look at Belize or costa rica.  Belize was amazing!

Anniversary

• Options
    @Peaseblossom55 I'm sorry about your cat.
    And it's a greek G that yes looks like an upside turned L.

• Options
    @Peaseblossom55 - It's a Gamma. She's Greek!............ Hey, our pets can be our friends just as much as humans are!  If a human friend of mine died I'd be sadder for longer than 2 months. And I don't even want to think about how I'll feel when my pup passes away. *HUGS*

• Options

@marylab ok gotcha... my sorority sisters would be so disappointed in me...

@alpacina thank you!

Anniversary

• Options
    marylabmarylab member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    @Peaseblosson55 why?
    It's funny because it was an L.They were brown paper letters and,
    the shop had only the Latin alphabet.
    I had to improvise..
    I'm bad with words..but a pet is more than a pet.In this house especially,it's a family member.I have two fat fuzzy black cat balls at my parent's.I grew up with them and now they are almost 14 years old.I am in denial that one day I would have to say goodbye :(

• Options
    Two baby-related confessions to follow, skip ahead if you're not interested in reading!

Confession (?) - I was supposed to start a new BCP pack on Friday. On Thursday night, FI and I had a really in-depth conversation about birth control that he initiated (!!!). He basically let me know that he was 100% on board with me going off hormonal birth control now, so that I could start seeing what my (naturally irregular) cycle is doing, and so that I can stop dealing with the (mildly irritating) side effects of BCP. Although we are decidedly NOT trying to get KTFU until after our wedding (at the earliest), it still felt like a very big, grown-up, step to decide as a couple that we would stop relying on birth control pills, and start preparing for the fast-approaching time when we'd be actually trying to ... get me knocked up. It's also strange to think that now that I'm off the pills I've been taking for the past many years, I likely won't be going back ON them until after I have a freakin' baby. It just feels very...strange, but in a cool and exciting way!

Confession - I really wish that I had more than one friend who was planning on having a baby anytime soon. I'm worried that whenever I do get KTFU I won't have anyone to really talk about it with other than my mom. I wish some of my closer friends who want children were at least getting close to that point so that we could share our experiences. I'm a very social person, and I'd be miserable if I lost touch with a bunch of friends.

Baby-stuff over.
    YAY for babies and TTC.  I'd guesstimate that I'm about a year away from TTC, but I'll happily listen to you talk babies any day.  Mostly because I love babies.
  • Options
    Yay babies @hummingbird125 feel free to chat with me anytime!!

Anniversary

• Options
    @CLoGreenEyes - *hugs* I'm sorry about your friend (I've had friends do that before and it sucks) and your job (I can't believe they aren't paying you!).

• Options
    UO: I don't like leggings as pants. That being said, if you want to wear them as pants then that's your damn right. WTF with this "purity" bullshit and men not being able to control themselves. I've even read about women not liking other women breastfeeding in public because they don't want their husbands to be tempted by the womens' bare breasts because they can't control themselves. Are you kidding me?

II: When people look into my office while walking by. What are you looking at?

• Options

Thanks, girls. <3 This is a rough start to 2015, but I'm doing what I can to make it better. I will definitely be leaving this job as soon as I line something else up. For a little while there I was ready to just leave regardless, but I keep thinking about at least getting the work experience...Ugh. Crossing my fingers that this one promising opportunity works out!

And now that I have more than five minutes to type:

@AlPacina, I haaaate the smell of cilantro but love recipes that include it, like THIS yummy chicken. It's a weird little ingredient! Also, I'm sorry people take it upon themselves to insinuate things about your dog. Even if they're just trying to make conversation, that's kind of a jacked-up way to do it. =/

@audrewuh I hope everyone at your conference admired what the good Lord blessed you with and DIDN'T act like asswipes like the Facebook guy! Honestly, it drives me crazy that some people even think they get to HAVE an opinion on how modestly women dress. Either it's, "She's leading me into temptation!" or, "She doesn't even take care of herself." Ridiculous.

@GoldenPenguin I'm obsessed with the GIF in your signature! One of my best friends from high school now raises goats and I just imagine that her entire life looks like that, lol.

@eilis1228, girl, I just send you hugs and chicken noodle soup for all the crazy medical stuff you've had going on lately! It sucks that the allergy shots have that effect on you. Did she happen to say WHY the bleeding might be happening?? Also, funny how your BMs ASKED for a day to do brunch/dress stuff and now no one will get back to you! That would make me coconuts; I hope they get back to you soon!

The lack of paycheck was first due to me starting a week before Thanksgiving, so not enough time to get me into the payroll rotation. Not really OK, but understandable. Every pay period since then, it's been because they're using a new payroll system that apparently has a shit ton of glitches. And for a reason no one can explain to me, they can't advance me the full check on paper. *Eye roll* It's pretty hard to make me angry, but this has totally done it.

@TwoDimes, I can't believe how busy you've been the past few months! I don't know how you manage to feed yourself, much less even think about planning a wedding, with all that's been going on!

@AuroraRose41, that is too cool about the story behind your last name! I can totally understand wanting to keep it. I hope your FI comes around to hyphenating!

II: I'm in this weird not-quite-sick-but-definitely-not-healthy state, and I wish I would either stop being sore and achy and spacey, or just get sick already! I don't enjoy being sick, but I would looooove a reason to call out of work tomorrow!

II: There is a bald spot IN MY EYEBROW that nothing has grown in for like two months. I keep looking at it and imagining @Swazzle silently judging me, lol.

Apparently a UO: marylab's posts aren't bothering me that much. I do like paragraphs and capitalization and all that, but...she seems nice. And maybe very young and like she could benefit from some good ol' NEY wisdom. So I don't mind if she hangs out for a while. :) (Fully aware that this is easy for me to say since I'm 90% lurker now.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards