Chit Chat
Options

Reddit, anyone? (r/weddingplanning)

I recently joined reddit through the peer pressure of some friends, and actually, it's somewhat interesting. Totally time consuming, of course, but it's broken down into many, many specific categories, including several pages regarding wedding stuff. I haven't been to the wedding pages too much (obviously because I'm on TK all the time), but when I do visit -- specifically the wedding planning page -- it's... alarming.

For example, people talking about their PPD and people giving the OP friendly advice, people asking if it's okay to send a STD but not an invitation (this one I actually responded to and got a little criticized for!), people mentioning that they're stressed about finances and invited 100 people but hoping for only 70 to show... 

It's a different batch of brides from the regular knotties, lemme tell ya. 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Reddit, anyone? (r/weddingplanning)

• Options
    I used to Reddit a lot, but then I encountered and was part of some stuff that left a bad taste in my mouth, and decided I needed a break. The more I think about it, the more unhappy I am with the culture it promotes, though I may go back there and just lurk on some boards.

I would definitely not turn to Reddit for my wedding planning, but I'm sure others swear by it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I used to be a hardcore Redditor with a bajillion points and Reddit gold and all that, even moderating my local subreddit, until I just got tired of it. The way their upvoting system works ensures that only people who agree with the hivemind will be upvoted, so rarely is there actually good discussion, except in subreddits with very specific guidelines for upvoting (ie - upvote because the comment lends to discussion, not because you agree with it or it's funny). Not to mention the top comments on most posts (which, anymore, are mostly just memes anyway) are just self-referential comments and inside jokes, typically either very sexist or very racist. It's just become a really gross place over the years. 

I can only imagine how bad the wedding planning ones are. Can you imagine if all the special snowflakes on TK could upvote each other's posts and ensure that theirs are the most visible? Blech. 
  • Options
    maeday2 said:
    I only go to reddit when a link is posted on another platform. 

Their site layout and format is offensive to me. 

it's sooo confusing and dumb.

• Options
    I saw this on the side:

• 7) Region can affect etiquette. Include the region you're from when asking etiquette questions.

I don't think I would work out well there. :) 

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I go on reddit for other things. I find most forums talking only about weddings have insipid threads and people. I only am on here because we don't only talk about weddings.

I only go there for funny pictures and videos and TIFU and maybe ask reddit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I used to Reddit a little back when Reddit was the first to get news and people were more or less civil. It's devolved into a breeding ground of sexist, racist, bigoted, violently rude internet people though; I and most of my friends have quit it for good because of it. The last time I was on there was for a school project and I needed to get people to take a survey and poll. I threw out more than half of the results I got as apparently they somehow found out I'm a woman and started harassing me through the survey. Last I saw, the things that get the most upvotes were the most sexist comments.

FI peruses it still and I'm seeing that they've been getting their news late these days anyway so no big loss to me. Sometimes FI has to ex out of it and leave the room because something on there was apparently just that disgustingly sexist or racist. I'm glad I'm not on Reddit anymore TBH.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like it because they limit your posting comments to like one a day, it takes a long time to break out of the newbie spam prevention settings. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards