Wedding Reception Forum

First Dance Help

Hello wedding people! I need your help.

I know traditionally the bride and groom share their first dance followed immediately by the father/daughter dance. Our issue is that our first dance song (You make my Dreams Come True - Hall and Oats) is way faster than the father/daughter dance (Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World - Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole) . We don't want to change the songs because they have deep meaning in both situations. 

I am afraid that having a slower song between the first dance and the party might be a bit of a downer. Any ideas on how to break them up or get the party started right after?

Thanks!

Re: First Dance Help

• You are over thinking this.  Dance to the songs you want.  Having a slower song F/D dance after your first dance song won't make your party a downer.  As soon as your DJ puts on a fast song people will be happy to get down with their bad selves on the dance floor.

• We did our entrance and went straight into our first dance. From there we cut the cake so they could cut it up while we're eating... So then we ate and while everyone was eating we had toasts. Following that there was the mother/son dance (my dad died...no father/daughter) and then the dance floor opened up.  That timeline would help break it up...but I agree with Maggie, you're overthinking this. 
  • Thanks ladies, you're probably right. I tend to over think a lot of things when it comes to this wedding. I have to keep reminding myself to step back and look at the big picture. Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards