Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception on a Tight Budget

There's nothing harder then searching for a catering company on a budget. My FI and I have been searching all over the place but nothing seems to be within our budget. We are estimating 50 guests so far and our budget is within $800. We are not looking for anything extravagant. No set up required I just need delivery. Does anyone know of a good place???
 Wedding Countdown Ticker}

Re: Reception on a Tight Budget

• Options
    What about BBQ, Italian from a local restaurant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would try a local Italian restaurant, many sell pasta by the tray that you can heat up at the venue or pick up already heated. Then just get some rolls and salad to complete the meal. There's a restaurant in my area, Washington State, that has trays that will feed around 20 people for $50.

For specific locations I'd recommend posting on your local board as this is an international one.
  • Options
    Ditto finding an Italian restaurant to cater. 

• Options
    Mexican food would be another cheap option. Basically a lot of restaurants would be cheaper than an official catering company, so I would start from there. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    Yup and Yup to Italian or Mexican.  The advantage of both is you can even DIY those recipes and get disposable chaffing setups from your local party supply store.  A make your own taco bar is usually lots of fun,  Once you do Mexican, you can venture out a bit by adding a mashed potato bar with do it yourself fixings. With chips and salsa, guests have plenty to eat. As for the Italian, you can serve plain pasta with different sauces on the side.  If you add a big antipasto salad (with meats and cheeses) and garlic rolls, guests will be very full.  
  • Options
    Chipotle caters.
  • Options
    Try local culinary schools or a local deli.
  • Options
    Would you consider having your wedding at a non-mean time? Get married at 2pm, have cake, cheese &veg tray and punch from 2:30-5 and everyone will leave before 5:30. These can be delivered from a local bakery/ grocery store. Some people on here swear by the Costco premade trays. These kind of receptions can be absolutely beautiful and done for next to nothing in a local park or someone's backyard.
  • Options
    The part about the post that's problematic is "50 guests so far."  

When planning something on a budget, the fastest way to make it work is to have a small event.  You can have more food and better service with your budget when it's divided among fewer people.

Something else to consider: if you do pick up from a restaurant (which is completely fine) or something like Chipotle, you need to make sure you have adequate ability to clear plates, empty trash cans, etc.  The perks of having a caterer is that they have people making sure plates aren't piling up and cans aren't overflowing.  Consider seeing if a small local restaurant, brunch spot, or new caterer can work with you on price and provide the meal AND some service to make sure pans are replenished, plates are removed, trash is emptied, etc.  
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    Chipotle caters.
    After I posted this I had to go out and have Chipotle for lunch.  Every time I see their signage about their catering, I decide I Must use them for my next event because, YUM!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards