Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymooning in Disney World

I'm trying to sway my fiance into agreeing to a Disney World honeymoon because I know he'd have fun once he got there. He is not convinced that there will be enough to do as an adult. Can anyone give me some suggestions of some of the more adult activities we could enjoy as a couple of honeymooners?

Re: Honeymooning in Disney World

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I feel like a Disney honeymoon has to be one of those things you both are 100% into.  There are people on here who went to Disneyland on their honeymoon, but both they and their spouse were really into Disney. Disneyland can be a bit like marmite, either you love it or you hate it.

I really don't think you should try to push him on this, because unless his first reaction was "yes! so much fun!" this can be a recipe for disaster. You might see fun rides, he sees long queues. You see sweets and he sees indigestion! The last thing you want to do on Honeymoon is fight and bicker. And even if you "convince" him, this vacation is about you now instead of you both, and he might be resentful of that. 

Use this as a good chance to compromise. What is your fi's ideal honeymoon?
  • While I agree that you should both actually want to go to Disney to make it your honeymoon destination, if you do go you should drink and eat your way through Epcot. . . DH and I did that in November and it was a ton of fun!
  • I am a huge Disney fan and an annual passholder, and even I say, don't do it. A Disney honeymoon/vacation is awesome when you're both into it, but if not, it could be a real bummer. I'd say go somewhere else for your honeymoon and spend a small, lower stakes vacation there. That way he can get a taste and decide if he likes it, without feeling the pressure of it being a honeymoon.

That said, there is PLENTY to do as an adult. But I think a mistake people make trying to convince their SO's to like Disney is to take them on the attractions that their SO was already trying to avoid. Like forcing the ones who don't like kids rides onto kids rides in order to "convince" them that they're fun. There are plenty of thrill rides, good foods, and adult activities. What does he like in a vacation? Does he like to relax? Does he like good food? Sports? Take that element and you're likely to find that he can have it there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• How much time do you have for your honeymoon? Maybe you could do Disney for one day, but do other Orlando things for the rest of your trip. Trying to do multiple Disney days gets exhausting anyway, especially if you try to stay from park open to close (which, when you're spending $$$$ for the tickets, you might as well!) 

There are plenty of more "adult" things to do in Orlando. I'd recommend a day at Disney, maybe a day at Universal (Harry Potter world!!!), and then spend the rest of your time doing other non-theme park things. Compromise!
    --

• Fiance and I decided on an Orlando honeymoon, which was something he was originally just okay with, but then decided he really liked the idea. (The tipping point was when I told him about drinking around the world at Epcot.)

We figured out a couple of things each that we didn't want and started from there. I am not a beach person and would not feel comfortable renting a car where we had to drive on the other side of the road. He gets motion sickness and therefore doesn't like a lot of rides and also doesn't want the stress of going somewhere we don't speak the language. We both like the idea of historical sites, in-depth tours, and museums. Another factor for us was my parents offering to give us timeshare points towards our stay, but that limited us to X number of destinations. 

We decided on Orlando because of a mixture of those factors and the timing. Mid-late October is not peak season for the parks. Our timeshare points will cover 100% of our lodging on an official Disney property.

Of our six non-travel days, we've already planned to spend one drinking around the world at Epcot, one at Kennedy Space Center, one at Universal (Mostly for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter), and maybe a day at Canaveral National Park or one of the closer state parks. For the other two days, we're looking at attractions, tours, and shows in Disney that would interest both of us. Do you think any of these things would appeal to him?
  • I enjoy Disney well enough and would love to go to Disneyworld someday, but it's not at all what I wanted for my honeymoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards