Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

backing up wedding photos

So, I have my CD of pictures from the photographer and I want to make sure that I have every single picture from the wedding for years to come. And by that I mean that fifty years from now, I'd like to be able to still have all 1100 of these pics in digital format.  Obviously, media formats come and go so a CD probably isn't the best option for storage.  How would you suggest I back up and store these images so that they last for fifty years? 

Re: backing up wedding photos

• Options
    We have a server that we're backing all of ours up to in both jpg and PDF formats, which, presently, show no signs of going away.

You could just back them up as jpgs or PDFs to an external HD. If file formats change down the road, you can always convert the jpgs to whatever the latest format is.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    How do you find  a server to do that?  This sounds like a great idea.  
  • Options
    We have multiple CDs of ours and I also have them on an external hard drive.  I'm also currently working on a wedding album and also a scrapbook so I'll have them in print as well.
  • Options
    I would recommend a USB external hard drive instead of a server.  There is a lot of work to setting up a server!  Please note though that the USB external drives can fail so if you want multiple copies I'd just grab a USB flash drive too and save them in both spots.
  • Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_backing-up-wedding-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:00415982-7ff1-4da6-a0e9-c5a1da3571b3Post:5cc21696-c1c6-4795-af96-37f925485f3b">Re: backing up wedding photos</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you find  a server to do that?  This sounds like a great idea.  
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]
    We have a server in our home. H is a photographer so we need it for all of his back-ups, and between us we have over 14 terrabytes of data, so setting up a server seemed like the best option...lol.

Although, there are online back-up utilities (Mozy, Idrive, etc.) that might be useful for picture back-up. That way if anything ever physically happened to your machine, you would have them in the cloud as well.

*Edited for punctuation error.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    We have a CD but I also edited quite a few a little more after the fact. We have them all backed up on a USB flash drive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards