Chit Chat
Options

FURniture Help

My husband and I will be moving to our own place hopefully soon. He has given me free range with decorating (which I did warn him he'll probably regret since I'm putting up a picture that he hates). I need some advice.

Our cat is allowed on all furniture except for tables. We want all furniture to be cat friendly. Do any of you have advice on cat fur friendly couches and any other pieces of furniture?

Re: FURniture Help

• Options
    Your best bet is probably to get some sort of pet cover over whatever you get. It will help catch stains and fur, and if it covers the whole thing will help if kitty scratches corners. 

I personally think you should avoid microfiber. Get something that has some pile to it. Holes from scratches will be less obvious.

You might want to look into fabric guarding Guardian/Crypton is pretty good if the store offers it,if not scotchguard can be picked up at the store.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Get a vacuum with a great attachment and actually use it on the furniture to get the pet hair up.  My parents vacuum their couch like once a year I think based on the amount of ick cat hair everywhere.
  • Options
    Luckily he doesn't scratch unless given permission to scratch something. I will definitely stay away from microfiber. The vacuum is a great idea. Do you have any recommendations for good ones, preferably bagless?
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Avoid microfibre for sure. I had a microfibre couch that I vacuumed every three days with a pet attachment that STILL looked absolutely terrible after a year living with pets. Not recommended.

Leather is easy to clean, but some cats love to scratch it, so that might be a bad choice if yours is one of them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I really like leather for this reason. We have 2 couches in the living room, the one DH & I always sit on, and the cat basically owns the other one. It's so easy for me to just wipe the fur off/ dustbust it when people are coming over. Also she tends to puke once a month so that is very easy to clean off leather. She hasn't scratched it ever. We leave a blanket on hers and she knows to knead her claws on the blanket.

Plus I have no idea if you plan to have kids in the next few years, but leather is way easier to clean up after kids as well!

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I really like leather for this reason. We have 2 couches in the living room, the one DH & I always sit on, and the cat basically owns the other one. It's so easy for me to just wipe the fur off/ dustbust it when people are coming over. Also she tends to puke once a month so that is very easy to clean off leather. She hasn't scratched it ever. We leave a blanket on hers and she knows to knead her claws on the blanket.

Plus I have no idea if you plan to have kids in the next few years, but leather is way easier to clean up after kids as well!

We do want kids hopefully someday, so it sounds like leather will be the best.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:

We do want kids hopefully someday, so it sounds like leather will be the best.
    Yep. Anything wipeable is a good idea with pets and kids!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like leather because of how easy it is to clean. 

We have canvas-ish upholstery on a couch in our library that seems to hold up pretty well. The cushion covers and pillow covers can be removed and washed, so that makes it easy when we want to do more than just vacuum.

And ditto everyone else on microfiber. That's what we have in our living room right now and it has become "the crap couch" because cat.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    If your cat doesn't scratch, leather is great. We have a Shark vacuum with pet attachments that is great for getting up fur. Our couch is nothing special-- from Ashley furniture-- but because it's a heather gray/slate color, the black and white cat hair is not as noticeable. Gray, brown, and camel are all good for hiding fur. Stark black or white will be more noticeable. But your best bet is just a good vacuum and constant diligence!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Ditto everyone. Our dog isn't even allowed on our furniture and our microfiber couch has hair all over it. Our next couch purchase will be leather for sure.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    We have a leather couch and leather chair (both second hand but in great condition) and our cats' fur is not an issue at all on there.  We usually keep a blanket on the one chair just because the cats like to sleep there and when they wake up they do some stretches that include their claws and also in case they want to knead before lying down.  We have another chair that is upholstered with some kind of fabric (sorry, IDK) and I notice chunks of fur on it and it is not as easy to get off.  My mom has microfiber furniture, which was a big mistake in my opinion.  
    Also, on Divine Design I believe Candace sometimes uses a certain type of fabric that looks "normal", but if you spill coffee of something on it it comes right off (hydrophobic, it might be called) and doesn't stain.  I'm not sure if that would be good with fur or not.
  • Options
    Yep. Another vote for "fuck microfiber." Ours is so bad that we don't want to invite people over until we replace it later this year because it is just gross.

• Options
    I really recommend a high quality Italian leather. One of ours is this and the cat's couch is a matching knockoff that cost 1/4 the price. It feels soooooo different and shitty compared to the good one.

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I have often found on fabric based furniture or carpet, this grooming brush works very well at quickly removing pet hair.
  • Options
    MobKaz said:

I have often found on fabric based furniture or carpet, this grooming brush works very well at quickly removing pet hair.

Is that one good to prevent mats? He's a long hair so he gets mats really bad.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    Is that one good to prevent mats? He's a long hair so he gets mats really bad.
    I haven't actually used it on animals.  It is what I use to clean my furniture after the kids bring their animals over when visiting.  But it does grab a lot in one fell swoop.
  • Options
    another POV...my declawed cat has ruined my leather sectional.  It is his style of jumping.  He seems to dig in with his back feet before jumping off and therefore has left scratches all over the chaise portion he sleeps on.

A regular fabric cloth with frequent vacuuming may be best...or covered with washable throws or covers.
  • Options
    ll6747 said:

another POV...my declawed cat has ruined my leather sectional.  It is his style of jumping.  He seems to dig in with his back feet before jumping off and therefore has left scratches all over the chaise portion he sleeps on.

A regular fabric cloth with frequent vacuuming may be best...or covered with washable throws or covers.
    My cat just straight jumps. I think he's part rabbit. He doesn't dig in, just one surface to another in the blink of an eye. So I don't think that would be a problem
  • Options
    i hate microfiber. our animals were never on it but it was still a bitch to clean. leather id be careful with because some leather is bonded and not full leather and the cat can definitely puncture by accident. 

depending on the color of the fur id go with something that would hide it. (only down side is if couch is covered with fur you wont see it) FMIL has a tan/blueish couch and its absolutely covered in hair but you cant tell because the fur thats on it is white (husky fur) so yeah i always end up covered in hair whenever i go over there.  
  • Options
    No experience with cats but we have a dog that sheds like crazy and rules the house. Our last couch was leather and awesome.. easy to vacuum the cracks and dust the rest. I would stay away from ANY softer fabric/microfiber, we have a softer fabric one now and I vacuum every other day including the couch (yeah, I'm weird about it). We just have an old Bissel Powerforce bagless vacuum and that sucker has held up to years of me vacuuming multiple times a week. It's easy to pull the filter out and blow off with the air compressor every once in a while and seems to do just as good as the expensive ones. I also have a hoover cordless for the hardwood and stairs and LOVE it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We have microfiber (mistake) but we've been training the cats to stay off of it and use the cat tree instead (haha).  Anyway, this little vacuum kicks butt on getting hair off of fabric. 

Click

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards