Honeymoon Discussions

Suggestions for Mexico (AI), Hawaii, or elsewhere in Caribbean?

behsco90behsco90 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2015 in Honeymoon Discussions
FI and I are trying to figure out where to go for our honeymoon.  We've been to Maui before (Lahaina) and Mexico (Riviera Maya),  He really enjoyed Maui, I'd rather go elsewhere, though I am not completely against Maui again.  I was thinking possibly Kaanapali if we go to Maui or Cozumel if we do Mexico, preferably an all inclusive.

Budget is under $3k for the hotel.  We'd be going in late August for about 7-8 nights.  We both enjoy snorkeling, and just want a nice relaxing vacation in the sunshine.

Does anyone have suggestions for hotels at either of these locations, or suggestions for somewhere in the Caribbean?

Thanks!
Edited to add more info
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Suggestions for Mexico (AI), Hawaii, or elsewhere in Caribbean?

• We are staying at Secrets Maroma Beach, and one of our days we plan to take the ferry over to Cozumel and spend the day there.

Maybe some more info on time of year, budget, what is important, etc. would be helpful as far as other people offering suggestions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tcnoble, thanks I'll check Secrets out!  And I added more info to my original post.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went to Cozumel in 2009 and loved it!  It was a great little island and we had a great time.  Unfortunately I can't remember where we stayed, but it was an all inclusive outside of the actual city. 
    You can take a ferry over to the mainland if you want and do all of the touristy things like the ruins and water park.  
  • Turks and Caicos is absolutely amazing!!  Grace Bay is always on the lists of world renowned beaches.  I highly recommend it!  It's also safe to walk around at night (not so in St. Marteen, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, etc.).  Also, not so much in the Caribbean, but Bermuda is also quite beautiful! I've been to St. Marteen, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, and Nassua in addition to these places, and I'd put Turks and Caicos/Bermuda heads above any of the other islands.
  • If you guys liked Maui, maybe you should check out the Big Island or as you said, a different part of Maui.  There are some amazing beaches along the Kohala Coast that are worth looking into.  I also remember that the snorkeling at Sheraton Maui was great and it's a really nice resort.  Love the cliff diving at sunset.

You will probably find great snorkeling in the Caribbean, also.  I've been to Cozumel.  I wasn't impressed with the hotel we stayed at, though.  We originally stayed in Riviera Maya but they overbooked our hotel and sent us to Cozumel for a night.  It was nice switching it up, but I liked Riviera Maya much better.  
  • Where are you traveling from?  I'm on the East Coast, and having been to both the Caribbean and Hawaii, i found that Hawaii was great for a more active vacation, but it was just SO FAR AWAY.  For just laying on the beach, i'd suggest St. Lucia - it reminded DH and i of Kauai, but much much closer.  And there are plenty of AIs there, so ti also wound up being a lot cheaper than our trip to Hawaii was.
  • Turks and Caicos is absolutely amazing!!  Grace Bay is always on the lists of world renowned beaches.  I highly recommend it!  It's also safe to walk around at night (not so in St. Marteen, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, etc.).  Also, not so much in the Caribbean, but Bermuda is also quite beautiful! I've been to St. Marteen, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, and Nassua in addition to these places, and I'd put Turks and Caicos/Bermuda heads above any of the other islands.
    I will give another vote for Bermuda.. amazing experience going there, beautiful island and beaches, and super friendly people!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wailea in Maui is really amazing.. we stayed at the Four Seasons but there were several hotels in the area that all seemed great.
  • OP's budget is under $3K for 7-8 nights. Bermuda and T&C with air from Oregon will be too expensive.  

• edited January 2015
    My husband and I are going to Turks and Caicos in June for 10 days and we are just under 3k.  Including flights.  Many condos listed on Expedia, Travelocity,  etc. can be rented out through vrbo.com for about half the price.  One other note, Turks and Caicos has their "low season" during the summer, so it is actually way cheaper there than during the winter months.  Not trying to push the place, but I'm just making the point that it can be done under their budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards