Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Rehearsal dinner dessert??

tcnobletcnoble member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2015 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
So I offered to provide dessert for our rehearsal dinner - after discussing with FILs who are hosting. The restaurant we are having it at has okay-ed us bringing in dessert from a bakery or wherever.

Now I'm having a hard time figuring out what to get! We will have 33 guests - only 3 kids under 10. No dietary restrictions. Cupcakes? Cake? Something else? FWIW we are having cake the next night at the wedding.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Rehearsal dinner dessert?? 26 votes

Cupcakes
30% 8 votes
Cake
7% 2 votes
Something else
61% 16 votes

Re: Rehearsal dinner dessert??

• Since you're having cake the next night, I would do something else.

Pie?  Individual fruit tartlets?  Napoleons?  Truffles and chocolate covered strawberries?  Cheesecake?
  • Oooo cheesecake....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cake and cupcakes are basically the same thing . I agree that since you will be having cake the next day, you should do something different. 
  • We go trays of cookies, dessert bars, and cuts of strudel for ours.
  • I would be perfectly fine having cake two nights in a row.  Maybe just change up the flavor.  But really cake is awesome and having two delicious slices of cake two nights in a row is even better.

• I would be perfectly fine having cake two nights in a row.  Maybe just change up the flavor.  But really cake is awesome and having two delicious slices of cake two nights in a row is even better.
    I'm not sure what flavor would be a crowd pleaser, that we aren't having the next night. We have a red velvet, vanilla, and chocolate layer for our wedding cake. But I agree... more cake more cake more cake! :)

I'm leaning towards 3 flavors of cheesecake for the rehearsal...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As long as you don't do the same exact cake, I see no issue with cake or cupcakes (kind of the same thing in different form). 

If you do something else, PPs had great suggestions. Would your venue do an ice cream sundae bar? Because that'd be awesome and manageable with a group that size. 
    *********************************************************************************

• How many people are you having at the RD?  If it is a smaller group you could always go with something that is a bit different from the typical flavors.  A cannoli cream filled cake comes to mind.

• How many people are you having at the RD?  If it is a smaller group you could always go with something that is a bit different from the typical flavors.  A cannoli cream filled cake comes to mind.
    Funny you say that.. one of our layers for the wedding cake is a vanilla cake with cannoli filling :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess I just think you may be over thinking this.  I don't know anyone who would throw a fit or complain because they were served red velvet or chocolate cake two nights in a row.  I mean it is a free dessert.  What is there to complain about?

And if you have any of that vanilla cake with cannoli filling left over just mail it to me :)

• I guess I just think you may be over thinking this.  I don't know anyone who would throw a fit or complain because they were served red velvet or chocolate cake two nights in a row.  I mean it is a free dessert.  What is there to complain about?

And if you have any of that vanilla cake with cannoli filling left over just mail it to me :)

I know I wouldn't mind cake two nights in a row... But I am not a dessert discriminator.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI LOVES Dairy Queen's ice cream cake and wanted it for the wedding. After we looked into storing and serving it at the reception, we decided it would be easier to just have cupcakes.

We will be having the ice cream cake at the rehearsal dinner along with cookies to mix things up a bit :)
  • Cookies & brownies are usually well received too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards