Chit Chat
Options

Weird snapchat

From my childhood best friend. It's a picture of a book by our favorite author and it says

Books>diamonds. My boy knows the way to my heart.

???

I can't quite put my finger on it but this rubs me the wrong way. She's the kind of passive aggressive person and she absolutely shat upon me a year ago when I got engaged. Not about being engaged but when I told her she was suddenly really angry with me over all these things that were little nit picks. She got over it and we went back to normal and then out of the blue there was this? For the record, I literally never talk about my wedding because I kind of hate talking about weddings most of the time.

I dunno man. She's pissed I didn't ask her to be bridesmaid but we aren't close anymore and haven't been for years. That and her reaction at my engagement I was like lolno. I really only asked family so I went with that excuse and it seemed to smooth things over.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Weird snapchat

• Options

Ew. I hate passive aggressiveness like that. What kind of response to that is she expecting?

I'd just send back the most hideous, double chin selfie you could muster. (not that you have a double chin naturally!)

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Hmmm....  my gut reaction is she's being snarky, but I always, always try to give people the benefit of the doubt.  God knows, I hope people do the same for me :)  

Maybe she wants to be engaged, but since she isn't, she's trying to convince herself that books are amazing, and just putting it out there for validation?  

*shrug*  I don't know- maybe let it go and don't even think about it unless it happens again??  P.S.- saw your ring in another post- beautiful!!

• Options
    Maybe she's saying he proposed to her? I don't know. To me, that seems like she's saying she loves books way more than diamonds so he proposed to her with a book instead of a ring? I'm probably wrong, though. I always try to find the best/most innocuous reasons behind things because I don't want to think that people are so shitty. But let's be real here. People are so shitty. 
  • Options
    NowIAmSypNowIAmSyp member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    novella1186 said: Maybe she's saying he proposed to her? I don't know. To me, that seems like she's saying she loves books way more than diamonds so he proposed to her with a book instead of a ring? I'm probably wrong, though. I always try to find the best/most innocuous reasons behind things because I don't want to think that people are so shitty. But let's be real here. People are so shitty. 

Yes!  This!  This is what I meant to say in my post above...  that's why I always try to see another side of things...  because I just can't believe that people really
    mean some of the things they do/say...  :)

ETF: spacing
  • Options
    It sounds like one of those memes on Facebook that try to sound worldly and wise, but aren't if you stop to think about it for a second. I would just treat it like that. No more interest than if you were scrolling past it on FB.

Or she was just kidding and wanted to show you her new book because it is one of your favorite authors.

Either way, don't let it bug you.
  • Options
    I honestly do not know that she meant to be snarky. FI proposed with a trip to Universal (where Harry Potter World is) and a snitch necklace. I don't think she's snarking on you. It sounds more like you're both sensitive to slights because the you've each been "slighted" by the other- she's sensitive because you "slighted" her by not asking her to be a bridesmaid, and she's "slighted" you by being unnecessarily angry when you got engaged. (Please note the quotation marks)

I also know that there's a Snapchat Story thing that gets sent to everyone? I dunno.

I'd give her the benefit of the doubt given the facts I have.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    JW, but was the snap just sent to you or in that "my story" thing? 

Also sounds to me like her boyfriend proposed with a book. It might be passive aggressive, it might not, but it is definitely a weird snap.
  • Options
    Maybe she's saying he proposed to her? I don't know. To me, that seems like she's saying she loves books way more than diamonds so he proposed to her with a book instead of a ring? I'm probably wrong, though. I always try to find the best/most innocuous reasons behind things because I don't want to think that people are so shitty. But let's be real here. People are so shitty. 
    This is the way I interpreted it, too. Not "my book > your diamond," but "him giving me a book > him giving me a diamond." In the lovingest way I can possibly muster... it's not all about you.

• Options

Ew. I hate passive aggressiveness like that. What kind of response to that is she expecting?

I'd just send back the most hideous, double chin selfie you could muster. (not that you have a double chin naturally!)

I am actually able to produce the most horrific double chin and I do send it to her all the time. She's that friend that I joke around with mostly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    If DH had proposed to me with a diamond, it would not have gone over well. If he had proposed to me with a book, I would have been thrilled.

I don't think you should assume that she's trying to be mean. She may be super excited about her new book and, since she knows you like the same author, wanted to share it with you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    soontobesyp Books are more amazing than jewelry. I do agree with her. FI gives me books for most of our gift giving times. SO it's really weird and not relevant. I'm not really sure the point she is trying to make.

novella1186 they don't think outside of the box. I really doubt that's the case. She's nearly 24 and just now entertaining the idea of getting a job and moving out of her parents house because she isn't ready to grow up yet. She thinks my cat eyeliner is WEIRD AS HELL. I would be so surprised if she got engaged with anything but a classic diamond ring.

Maybe I will just text her and ask her straight up. But I don't really care if she's engaged. Like I said, we aren't that close.

I'm not really bothered by it I just have my bitch pants on today and want to start a fight LOL.

I won't though. I'll just bitch to you guys.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I would text her and ask if her snapchat meant her boyfriend proposed with a book. Sounds snarky, but seriously. That's how I'd interpret it. 

If you don't think that's the case, just ignore it. Odd without any context. Very odd.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Also: The book is Mr. Mercedes by Stephan King. IS there a more romantic author? I'll text her if I get up to get my phone.

She's that kind of petty friend who likes to bring up embarrassing moments from high school over and over. 

Maybe I'll just snap a picture of my ring and be like MY BOYFRIEND LUV ME MOAR
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I took this as not about your engagement (or engagements in general) at all but a play on "diamonds are a girls best friend" for what its worth. I wouldn't read into it

• Options
    She's actually really tiny with cute proportions but people used to call her frodo so.....

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited January 2015
    MagicInk said:
    Didn't we agree snapchat was just for dick pics?
    Tit pics nobody wants to see a dick. Not even straight women want to. 

I asked her if she was engaged and she said "lol no hahaa".

If she was a progressive thinker and not materialistic I wouldn't think anything of it. She wants that diamond, man.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

MagicInk said:

Tit pics nobody wants to see a dick. Not even straight women want to. 

I asked her if she was engaged and she said "lol no hahaa".

If she was a progressive thinker and not materialistic I wouldn't think anything of it. She wants that diamond, man.

Then she's probably covering because she expected a rock but got a book. "Oh no, this is totally what I wanted! Marriage is for suckers, el oh el!"

• Options
    But if she hadn't snap chatted me I never would have known she had a book? It's hilariously confusing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think she's being a passive aggressive douchecanoe.
  • Options
    Wait I though snapchat was just for sexting teenagers?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And for people who love to send half hilarious pictures
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I thought you wrote "my cat's eye-liner" instead of cat eye-liner.. Because I would have to agree with her if that was the case.

I was going to say she was proposed to with a book but since she's not.. bitch is crazy.

And my H and I LOVE Stephen King! I want a dark tower tattoo. Deciding between the tower and roses or Oy
  • Options
    slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    My friend and I just Snapchat each other pooping selfies. 

or so they tell me.
    Anniversary

• Options
    MagicInk said:
    Snapchat is for drunken odes to the christmas tree, videos of the animals doing something funny, and the most hideous faces you can make.

That's what I use it for, anyway.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I'm too old for Snapchat.

• Options
    Than you must be 125 because snapchat is fun as hell
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

Than you must be 125 because snapchat is fun as hell

I am indeed.

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    And for people who love to send half hilarious pictures
    My coworker and I have snapchat and we send each other ridiculous pics in the office. We send pictures of staplers, or stupid stuff. It's pretty funny. We're so mature. 

IDK, I feel like that was passive aggressive. Does this mean she got engaged? Weird way to announce it to you, IMO.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards