Chit Chat
Options

Anyone else w/"White coat syndrome"

Everytime I go to the doctor (any doctor) my blood pressure is high.  I don't freak out about going to the doctor but I don't really look enjoy it, I go because I have to.  I think subconciously I think that there must be something wrong when I going to the doctor so subconciously I'm anxious even though I feel fine.  At home I can take my blood pressure and it's perfectly normal.  Anyone else deal with this?

Re: Anyone else w/"White coat syndrome"

• Options
    l9i said:
    Everytime I go to the doctor (any doctor) my blood pressure is high.  I don't freak out about going to the doctor but I don't really look enjoy it, I go because I have to.  I think subconciously I think that there must be something wrong when I going to the doctor so subconciously I'm anxious even though I feel fine.  At home I can take my blood pressure and it's perfectly normal.  Anyone else deal with this?
    Yup. I have the exact same thing. I'll take my BP at home and I'm well within normal. But the minute I step foot into the doctors office i'm like 64/103. Wah wah wah. But at the local grocery stores and at home, I'm easily 50/70. It's so weird. I've never had an issue with BP until about 2-3 years ago, then it's only in the doctor's office. They've wanted to put me on BP meds, but I refuse. It's weird. And annoying.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I used to. I think it was more related to the job I was in though, and the fact that whenever I was at the doctor I was stressing out about how long it would be before I got back to all the shit waiting for me at work. It was as high as... 190/100 or something. Doc took away my BCP and traded me for Xanax. That definitely helped.

Nowadays it's like 112/70 consistently. IDK if I've just gotten used to going to the doctor more frequently as I got through some other health shit, am more confident that there isn't anything wrong anymore, or more calm that the world isn't going to implode if I don't get back to work right away. 

Are you going during the workday or a day off? Anything else on your mind while you're there? Have you tried some calming yoga breaths beforehand?

ETA my doc would always have them recheck before I left. It was normally a bit lower after I'd gotten a clean bill of health and was on my way out. (except the 190 time. that wasn't good.)

• Options
    l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I used to. I think it was more related to the job I was in though, and the fact that whenever I was at the doctor I was stressing out about how long it would be before I got back to all the shit waiting for me at work. It was as high as... 190/100 or something. Doc took away my BCP and traded me for Xanax. That definitely helped.

Nowadays it's like 112/70 consistently. IDK if I've just gotten used to going to the doctor more frequently as I got through some other health shit, am more confident that there isn't anything wrong anymore, or more calm that the world isn't going to implode if I don't get back to work right away. 

Are you going during the workday or a day off? Anything else on your mind while you're there? Have you tried some calming yoga breaths beforehand?

ETA my doc would always have them recheck before I left. It was normally a bit lower after I'd gotten a clean bill of health and was on my way out. (except the 190 time. that wasn't good.)
    Yes, I went from work in both instances and the last few months have been very busy and stressful.  I check my blood pressure on occasion when I'm at my parents because they have a monitor.  I'm going to get one though in hopes to better manage and perhaps see if it is stress related.  I have a feeling it may be.  Never had a issue with blood pressure before.  The time before they rechecked and was normal after my appointment, they did not this most recent time.
  • Options
    @mikenberger‌, I'm mostly a lurker here, but those BP readings are not normal at all (even if the numbers were reversed the second reading is pretty dang low). I'm not sure if you were just using them as examples or whatever and I'm not claiming to give you professional medical advice through an internet forum, but if those are your regular readings I actually would see your health care provider over it--white coat syndrome or not :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    l9i said:
    Yes, I went from work in both instances and the last few months have been very busy and stressful.  I check my blood pressure on occasion when I'm at my parents because they have a monitor.  I'm going to get one though in hopes to better manage and perhaps see if it is stress related.  I have a feeling it may be.  Never had a issue with blood pressure before.  The time before they rechecked and was normal after my appointment, they did not this most recent time.
    As long as they can ensure that it's normal afterward it shouldn't be a big problem. Definitely a good thing to keep an eye on though, especially if you're on birth control (which increase risks of blood clots and stroke), and in a job where you sit most of the day (can lead to clots in your legs).

If you're still concerned, I would ask them to check it in both arms. If it's only high in one and lower in the other, it can be a bigger risk. (This might also be a factor if the arm you check yourself is different than the arm the nurse checks.)

• Options
    @mikenberger‌, I'm mostly a lurker here, but those BP readings are not normal at all (even if the numbers were reversed the second reading is pretty dang low). I'm not sure if you were just using them as examples or whatever and I'm not claiming to give you professional medical advice through an internet forum, but if those are your regular readings I actually would see your health care provider over it--white coat syndrome or not :P
    Thank you for your concern.

• Options
    Ha - I'm the same way. I have an intense fear of doctors for no reason at all. They usually have to take my BP at the beginning and the end to try to get more accurate readings. I have tried taking it at home and it's fine. I also have anxiety about going to the dentist. I should probably be in therapy for this.
  • Options
    Nope, not me.  I have naturally low blood pressure.   DH has high blood pressure so we have a machine.  He gets  mad when we compare BP.  Mine is always much lower compared to his.   He sometimes wonders how I'm standing.   Well, it's not that low, but definietely on the lowest end of "normal".

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm the same way, and my doctor does two things. First, the nurse always takes my BP with the automated cuff, at the beginning of the appointment. Second, my doctor takes it again at the end the old fashioned way. Often twice, just to be sure. The automated cuff always has me at 130/80 and then the old fashioned way I'm usually about 110/70. And this happens at my GP and at the gyno. So it's not just one machine. 
  • Options
    Definitely, me too. The important thing is to have a BP monitor at home to check what it normally is under several different everyday settings (at home, at work, after working out). You can show that record to your GP. I'm reliably 110/70 at home, but at the office I'm often as high as 160/90. I'm noticeably anxious though - I can always feel it, and knowing that the reading is going to be high makes it even worse. It's really quite ironic considering I'm a medical professional myself...
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    daria24 said:
    I'm the same way, and my doctor does two things. First, the nurse always takes my BP with the automated cuff, at the beginning of the appointment. Second, my doctor takes it again at the end the old fashioned way. Often twice, just to be sure. The automated cuff always has me at 130/80 and then the old fashioned way I'm usually about 110/70. And this happens at my GP and at the gyno. So it's not just one machine. 
    Same here. Those automatic cuffs HURT, so I always feel my heart pounding the second they put it on. I've had readings as high as 160/110 with the automatic cuffs, but when my doctors take my BP with the normal cuff at the end of the appointment, it's right around 120/80.

Doctors and hospitals don't make me nervous at all. In fact, I'm very comfortable in that setting, so it's that damn automatic cuff. Those things are the devil.
  • Options
    I don't have this problem at doctor's offices, but I'm damn sure if they took your blood pressure at the dentist mine would be through the roof. I had to take a break the last time I got a filling because the filling-goo was in a little needle-looking thing and it gave me a momentary panic attack (literally - I started crying and hyperventilating and they had to let me get up and the only way they got me back in the chair was threatening me with my mouthnumb wearing off and having to get another prick).

I fucking hate the dentist.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    nevermind lol I can't read
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Mine is crazy-high at the doctors because I do have an irrational fear of seeing the doctor, especially the lady doctor. I absolutely LOATHE having a strange person up my bits, and waiting forever ass naked in paper in a freezing cold room with baby ducky shit (Because when I'm getting shoehorned, what I really want to think about is being pregnant with a baby I don't want) doesn't help things. I make sure to warn people that I have terrible white coat syndrome, so I'll be acting freaked, probably taking a LOT of calming breaths, and they will not get a good bp reading, before or after.

Actually, my bp is usually worse after. I've had doctors comment with "are you feeling better? Oh, you're shaking, and uh - *listening* wow, you really don't like being here. Well you should get dressed and maybe sit down for a bit."
    I hate hate hate hate hate going to the cookie doctor too, but my new OB/GYN has a gigantic "Where's Waldo" poster on the ceiling. I cracked the hell up when I saw that.
  • Options
    I have naturally low blood pressure as well, but I always get a high reading at the doctor. My last GP told me it's because I only ever go to the doctor when I am actually sick, and being sick raises BP. Of course I have no idea whether to believe him or not, because he also completely ignored everything I told him about which medications I react to.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    l9il9i member

I used to take my blood pressure all the time when I lived with my parents because my mom has high blood pressure (a reason to keep an eye on it) and I thought it was fun to compare.  I took it last night after work and it was perfectly within the normal range 114/72. 

It's high whenever I go to any doctor.  I brought this up after my annual trip to the gyno where I had a new person.  So I'd like to get to know you before we get that close ;)  Then about a month back at the eye doctor were it was also a new place.  I wonder if that has something to do with it.  My GP is a family friend I've been seeing for years and I don't remember it ever being crazy high there.  It may have been on the high of normal but not anything like 140/90 or whatever it was.

• Options
    Mine is crazy-high at the doctors because I do have an irrational fear of seeing the doctor, especially the lady doctor. I absolutely LOATHE having a strange person up my bits, and waiting forever ass naked in paper in a freezing cold room with baby ducky shit (Because when I'm getting shoehorned, what I really want to think about is being pregnant with a baby I don't want) doesn't help things. I make sure to warn people that I have terrible white coat syndrome, so I'll be acting freaked, probably taking a LOT of calming breaths, and they will not get a good bp reading, before or after.

Actually, my bp is usually worse after. I've had doctors comment with "are you feeling better? Oh, you're shaking, and uh - *listening* wow, you really don't like being here. Well you should get dressed and maybe sit down for a bit."
    Well that's really stupid if they try and take it the second time while you're still naked and cold. Mine lets me get dressed and take it on the way out.

• Options
    I don't have this problem at doctor's offices, but I'm damn sure if they took your blood pressure at the dentist mine would be through the roof. I had to take a break the last time I got a filling because the filling-goo was in a little needle-looking thing and it gave me a momentary panic attack (literally - I started crying and hyperventilating and they had to let me get up and the only way they got me back in the chair was threatening me with my mouthnumb wearing off and having to get another prick).

I fucking hate the dentist.

I hadn't gone to the dentist in 6 years because they scare the fuck out of me. I finally went last year and my new dentist does take your blood pressure. She took my BP, got an alarmed look on her face, and asked if my BP was normally 160/120. I told her no, not even close, that it was high because I was fucking terrified to be there. I was sweating and pale and probably looked like I was going to pass out. I needed to have 6 fillings and they had to give me nitrous oxide and cover my eyes whenever they had to put the needle in my mouth for the novocaine. Doctor - I'm totally fine. Dentist - I'm convinced I'm going to die.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    edited January 2015
    The only doctor I would get a normal reading for is an eye doctor, and obviously they don't do BP there.

But eyeball tests are absolutely fascinating and don't freak me out at all. Also they love me because I'm really good about things touching my eye and me not blinking. Makeup artists love me for the same reason. It took me fifteen minutes out of the allotted hour I had to learn how to put in contacts, and the guy was even kind of cute.

I was pretty fine with my old dentist, since he was my dentist and my orthodontist all in one go. I saw him so often I just couldn't be assed to be scared. Seeing the dental hygienist was scarier. Also he would put some numbing cream on your gums before he ever did anything with Novocaine, so I never felt a single needle. That said, now I haven't seen a dentist in a LONG time, and I've got a ton of cavities and a wisdom tooth in. I'm terrified of the extent of the damage, how much it will eventually costs, if I'll ever be able to afford to see one, and how judging a new dentist would be. I wish I could have kept going to my old dentist. I would happily drive out of state if I could have stayed with him.
    My new eye doctor I went to does BP and I thought it was odd.  I actually get nervous I think that I'll fail all the tests because my eye sight is getting worse.
  • Options
    Mine's been a bit high the last few times it's been drawn - usually I blame it on my mounting rage at being kept waiting for 30 minutes past my appt time, lol. 

• Options
    l9i said:
    Yup. I have the exact same thing. I'll take my BP at home and I'm well within normal. But the minute I step foot into the doctors office i'm like 64/103. Wah wah wah. But at the local grocery stores and at home, I'm easily 50/70. It's so weird. I've never had an issue with BP until about 2-3 years ago, then it's only in the doctor's office. They've wanted to put me on BP meds, but I refuse. It's weird. And annoying.
    Are you an athlete?? That is not a normal BP reading and could be a sign of a health condition. As a medical student I should advice you to talk to a professional about those readings. 

• Options

I hate hate hate hate hate going to the cookie doctor too, but my new OB/GYN has a gigantic "Where's Waldo" poster on the ceiling. I cracked the hell up when I saw that.
    THE COOKIE DOCTOR. 

DYING.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:

THE COOKIE DOCTOR. 

DYING.
    I really just want my OB to give me cookies now. My whole life outlook would be better.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards