Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Help! Wedding size crisis!

Hello ladies!

I'm a future brdie who became engaged to my wonderful fiance on the 27th of December last year. We're currently planning our wedding for April 2012. Before I started planning, I thought I had everything figured out but it turns out that the more I look at the organisational aspect, the more confused I get.

We wanted a small-ish wedding of 100 odd people but our guest list is currently sitting at well over 200 with no signs of diminishing. Obviously this sends all the costs sky rocketing (not least of all because we're having a pseudo-destination wedding in South Africa - we're both South African expats living overseas). The more I think about it, the more I realise that spending thousands and thousands of dollars for one day is just absurd. Consequently, the plan for a teeny tiny 30 person wedding (immediate family only) was born.

Before I press ahead with scrapping the big white wedding (BWW) in favour of a smaller, more intimate day, I was wondering if you, as past brides, could offer me advice on the pros and cons of a biggerwedding vs a small one. Is there anything you regret about your choice or anything about it that made you extra glad you did it that way? If you had to do it again, would you do it the same way?

The benefits of a small wedding (cheaper, far more intimate) are massively appealing but there is a small part of me that is a bit concerned about missing out on the first-dance-speech-cake-cutting-bouquet-toss extravaganza that is a BWW.

Any advice you have would be most welcome!

Thanks so much! Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards