Chit Chat

Who else is re-watching Friends?

13»

Re: Who else is re-watching Friends?

• Yes, the clothes look funny. But not that damned funny. No weirder or uglier than the 80s, or 70s, or any other era. 
    I think fashion of just a few years out of date always looks worse than it does later. One day, we'll look back at the clothes we're wearing now, and make faces, and wonder why the waistlines on so many dresses were too high, or the shirts were so baggy, and why the fuck were we running around with our shirts untucked and wearing giant necklaces, or whatever. 

I always hated Emily. What a shitty character. I wanted her to stay with Ross so they could make each other miserable.
    Her parents at the wedding were a scream, though. 
    Yes!

• Between re-watching this and Buffy, the fashion is driving me nuts!!  I know a lot of people say the 80s were the worst, but I think the 90's had the worst fashion.  Everything looks like a kindergardener made it, and most of the clothing looks like someone stole their grandmother's curtain and the upholstery off the couch.  

Not to mention pretty much everything is literally THE MOST UNFLATTERING SHAPE POSSIBLE for that person's body.  They're just like "Oh, this shirt makes me look like I am both pregnant and flat-chested even though I'm not pregnant and have boobs...  IT'S PERFECT OMG"

And Ross is a fucking douche.  I just watched the episode where he flat out slut shamed Rachel over ONE guy and am still disappointed that he wasn't killed off by Rachel throwing him out the fucking window.   And I was already peeved with his whole "Tattoos ruin your body" bullshit.  And also peeved by the multiple "Well can't you just stop being a lesbian?" remarks to his ex wife.  I don't even feel bad when he's being a whiny bitch, I'm just like "GOOD, FEEL BAD.  YOU'RE A DOUCHE."  He's the worst kind of douche too, the kind who sits around thinking that they're such a nice and sweet guy and is in complete denial that they are a douche, even though they are judgmental as all hell and act like a whiny baby when they don't get their way.  
    I never understood why so many people loved that series. People would say it is about real people we can identify with. Anyone who identifies with this collection of misfits, to me, has serious identity problems. Identifying with the Three Stooges would be no more frightening. Whiny, Pompous, Uptight, going through the cast members is like naming the Seven Dwarfs.
  • I'm a lover of all things 90s so I love reliving the fashion. I miss my baggy jeans and flannels and Docs.

Speaking of which, there's a new show on VH1 called Hindsight. Has anyone else seen yet? I am obsessed.
  • To be honest, I was never a fan of Friends. I like Seinfeld a lot more. I thought it was more relatable and the comedy was really funny but no overdoing it. Like George wearing that silly fur hair and leaving it on purpose at the woman's apartment. It was a redicoulse/silly take on things that people do. (At least I've done that.)  
  • Between re-watching this and Buffy, the fashion is driving me nuts!!  I know a lot of people say the 80s were the worst, but I think the 90's had the worst fashion.  Everything looks like a kindergardener made it, and most of the clothing looks like someone stole their grandmother's curtain and the upholstery off the couch.  

Not to mention pretty much everything is literally THE MOST UNFLATTERING SHAPE POSSIBLE for that person's body.  They're just like "Oh, this shirt makes me look like I am both pregnant and flat-chested even though I'm not pregnant and have boobs...  IT'S PERFECT OMG"

And Ross is a fucking douche.  I just watched the episode where he flat out slut shamed Rachel over ONE guy and am still disappointed that he wasn't killed off by Rachel throwing him out the fucking window.   And I was already peeved with his whole "Tattoos ruin your body" bullshit.  And also peeved by the multiple "Well can't you just stop being a lesbian?" remarks to his ex wife.  I don't even feel bad when he's being a whiny bitch, I'm just like "GOOD, FEEL BAD.  YOU'RE A DOUCHE."  He's the worst kind of douche too, the kind who sits around thinking that they're such a nice and sweet guy and is in complete denial that they are a douche, even though they are judgmental as all hell and act like a whiny baby when they don't get their way.  
    I never understood why so many people loved that series. People would say it is about real people we can identify with. Anyone who identifies with this collection of misfits, to me, has serious identity problems. Identifying with the Three Stooges would be no more frightening. Whiny, Pompous, Uptight, going through the cast members is like naming the Seven Dwarfs.
    If you hate it so much why do you keep posting??

I think the characters are rather extreme but I don't think each one is that awful that I'd compare them to Moe, Larry, and Curly.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Does anyone else have waves of likability toward Rachel?  I am sure that is how she is written and like @lolo883 said, an exaggeration of the princess type, but I just watched the episode where she hired the hot guy as her new assistant rather than the qualified candidate.  I know that is supposed to be funny, but it just made me groan at her character.  However, her character does seem to be flawed in the superficial, princess persona.  Perhaps I am the only one that thinks this.

I do love the show though!  My FI hasn't seen the series before, so I opened his eyes to it.  We are in the seventh season.
  • kmbay84 said:
    Does anyone else have waves of likability toward Rachel?  I am sure that is how she is written and like @lolo883 said, an exaggeration of the princess type, but I just watched the episode where she hired the hot guy as her new assistant rather than the qualified candidate.  I know that is supposed to be funny, but it just made me groan at her character.  However, her character does seem to be flawed in the superficial, princess persona.  Perhaps I am the only one that thinks this.

I do love the show though!  My FI hasn't seen the series before, so I opened his eyes to it.  We are in the seventh season.
    I like parts of them all for different reasons.

Except Ross.

• kmbay84 said:
    Does anyone else have waves of likability toward Rachel?  I am sure that is how she is written and like @lolo883 said, an exaggeration of the princess type, but I just watched the episode where she hired the hot guy as her new assistant rather than the qualified candidate.  I know that is supposed to be funny, but it just made me groan at her character.  However, her character does seem to be flawed in the superficial, princess persona.  Perhaps I am the only one that thinks this.

I like parts of them all for different reasons.

Except Ross.
    Ross is just a douche, OMG. 
  • I think I'm the only person ever besides Ross 300' ex wives who have ever liked him. I find his whining amusing. Phoebe and Chandler are the superior characters, though.

And Janice. Janice may be my favorite ever.

• Haha @hellohkb!  Janice is awesome!  She is definitely up there with me too!

I like Phoebe too.  She seems to be that supportive friend who will stick with you no matter what.  Her friends are the most important to her.
  • We've been rewatching them, I love that show.  But the nipples!  Okay does anyone remember an episode of Sex and the City (probably from around the same time) where Samantha gets a pair of plastic nipples she sticks on so she constantly looks...nippular?  That's what I think of when I see it. 

I never liked Ross, but I just can't with him this time around.  He's whiny and pathetic and I just want him to stop.  Just stop.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I find all the Ross hate weird. Lol. I guess because he never bothered me. My least favorite Friend is Rachel. Idk what it was but something about her always rubbed me the wrong way.
  • Least favorite.....I would have to say Monica. Because she shrieks. I cannot handle the shrieking. 
  • Joey and Phoebe are my favorite. The rest I go though waves of liking and disliking depending on which season it is. Ross is probably my least favorite, especially in the later seasons.

Janice is my absolute favorite side character though. Every episode she was in cracked me up!

• kmbay84kmbay84 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Exactly @ohannabelle!  She would be there until the end.  Not that the others wouldn't, I just get a greater vibe regarding that trait from her than the others.
  • I always identified with Phoebe. A little flighty, kinda weird, dresses like an acid trip, but has that dark edge that tells you not to fuck with her or her family (friends) because she knows what to do with a body damn it and she's not scared of prison.

Honestly I have little hate for any of them. Ross was fucking whiny but he could also be really funny. Chandler and Joey were adorable and played off each other well. And why did Monica and Rachel never hook up? Phoebe should have helped them get there.
  • Earlier, I watched the Halloween episode, the one where Chandler and Ross fight while dressed in their Halloween costumes. I was DYING over the big, pink, fluffy bunny going apeshit on the giant space potato.
  • @kmbay84 I'm so glad I'm not alone in my Janice love!

She makes me want to say "I'd like to buy a vowel because OH my god!!" on a regular basis.

• I love Friends.  I've seen all of the episodes borrowing them from the library on DVD.  I would watch them on Netflix, but we don't have internet or streaming Netflix.  I'd like to just buy the whole series on DVD sometime.  Find it when it's on sale sometime.

None of the characters really bother me. I think they're all hilarious. 

Janice was pretty awesome.  That one episode where Chandler goes to Yemen to escape her. "15 Yemen Road, Yemen."  And also the "call me when this one goes in the pooper" were so funny!
  • I love Friends.  I've seen all of the episodes borrowing them from the library on DVD.  I would watch them on Netflix, but we don't have internet or streaming Netflix.  I'd like to just buy the whole series on DVD sometime.  Find it when it's on sale sometime.

None of the characters really bother me. I think they're all hilarious. 

Janice was pretty awesome.  That one episode where Chandler goes to Yemen to escape her. "15 Yemen Road, Yemen."  And also the "call me when this one goes in the pooper" were so funny!
    Anytime H and I hear Yemen (in ANY CONTEXT whatsoever), we say "15 Yemen Road, YEMEN"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards