Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! Dyed my crinoline and it turned the wrong color!

I wanted a purple crinoline under my dress, so I got fabric dye clearly labeled purple. Went through the entire dying process, and my crinoline turned out blue! Any way to fix this? What if I dyed it red? (Blue+red=purple, right? Lol)imageimage

Re: Help! Dyed my crinoline and it turned the wrong color!

• try cross posting in chit-chat
  • Dyeing often has to be done in stages. Many synthetic materials, because of their makeup, will take one dye but far less readily take another

If you want to use the same brand of dye, buy pink not red because it will have some differences in formula (it is not just a diluted red.) Use a very small amount , like 1/5 Strength recommended.
    Rinse, dry, check color, maybe do again.

A friend in theatre was dyeing a petticoat purple, one of the hardest (so is orange) to replace a ripped one. Hardy indigo blue results. Since stores with dye were closed, she called her Mom who said, I don't have any dye, but I just bought your brother a 3 pack of red t shirts. Wash it in hot water with one, and if not enough, use the other two the next time. One was just enough. A different chemical formula red was all it needed.
  • I don't have any suggestions on the dying front, however, this is what came up from google.

https://www.ritstudio.com/faq/ - This website sells a dye remover product. They say you usually can "overdye" a garment.  They also suggest using their color remover product before trying to dye something. Maybe try a dye remover like that and then start over with a different purple dye?

If dying ends up not working, I doubt very many people will notice. I had a friend who wore a red crinoline under her dress. Throughout the ceremony, you never saw it peek under her dress.  You only saw it once she started dancing at the reception. At that point, people will barely notice or care.

Maybe try sewing a layer of red tulle under the first layer of your crinoline to make it appear purple. (No idea if that will work.)

Also, I think that bouquet of flowers looks nice with your crinoline.  They don't clash if that's what you're worried about.
  • I dyed it red, and it turned the perfect purple, but I left it in too long and it turned a wine color. So I gave it one more try and put it in royal blue dye and watched it like a hawk. Once it turned the purple I wanted, I pulled it out.
    I will never dye anything again lol.
  • Experience is the best teacher, and it often teaches you you shouldn't have tried what you did.

Materials to make a petticoat are easily under twenty dollars, and you start with fabric you know matches. Only straight seams, beginners sewing.

I have never figured why so many sites and books recommend dying as a home project for beginners.

Happy it turned out perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards