Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the date and invites

Hello,

Clueless guy here.

I'm getting hitched October 23rd, 2014. I was tasked with save the date and invites.

When should save the date cards be sent? 

What is the quickest and efficient way of getting everyone's home address that I want to send a STD card too? Is Facebook an acceptable way to send save the dates?

I have zero experience. Please help.

Any vendors or websites that offer STD / Wedding invite cards for a low price?

Please advise.

I am a new member to these forums.

Thanks,

James

Re: Save the date and invites

• Save the dates typically go out anywhere from 6-12 months, and closer to the 6 month side unless it's a destination wedding or you have lots of OOT guests.

FB isn't an appropriate way to send Save the Dates, but it's fine to gather addresses ONLY via private chat that way. FB chat, call, text, whatever to get addresses, but make sure it's in private so you aren't advertising your wedding to people who will not be invited. Remember that once you send a Save the Date, you are obligated to send an invitation, so err on the side of caution if your guest list isn't firm.

Vistaprint.com postcards are generally very cheap (wait for a sale if they aren't on sale right now, and wait for free shipping). I spent around $30 for 100 postcards. I simply uploaded a photo into one of their existing templates and then filled in our info. Once they arrive, you fill in the addresses, slap a postcard stamp on them (cheaper than a standard stamp), and dump them in the mail. Super easy.

Also, FYI, Save the Dates aren't even necessary. If you've got a tight budget, I vote for skip them entirely and casually email your VIPs to inform them of the date.

• edited January 2015
    Hello,

Clueless guy here.

I'm getting hitched October 23rd, 2014. I was tasked with save the date and invites.

When should save the date cards be sent? 

What is the quickest and efficient way of getting everyone's home address that I want to send a STD card too? Is Facebook an acceptable way to send save the dates?

I have zero experience. Please help.

Any vendors or websites that offer STD / Wedding invite cards for a low price?

Please advise.

I am a new member to these forums.

Thanks,

James

*************box fix*************** STDs should be sent anywhere from 6-10 months before the wedding. Closer to 10 if you have a lot of OOT guests. Vistaprint.com and weddingpaperdivas.com have lots of options that are inexpensive. You could just let people know about this via FB message or email. STDs aren't mandatory. Invites should be sent 6-8 weeks before your wedding date. Anyone who gets an STD must get an invite so make sure anyone who gets an STD gets an invite. You can also get invites on the two sites above as well. Best way to get addresses is to reach out via email/phone/FB. Your parents might be a good resource for this too. ETF I swear I had paragraphs
    *********************************************************************************

•  Hi James

My FI was ready to shoot me over him having to get addresses. I sent out a mass email to my friends that I did not have addresses for and he actually sent text to his friends. We need them for our engagement party invites so we were able to get the word out about that too. 

I just order 85 save dates from Photoaffections...they are addresses the envelopes for me too and paid 120.00. They are a little higher but not having to do the addresses was worth it to me. If you sign up for some of the online card places...photo affections, minted (pricey), magnetstreet...the send you discount coupons. 

I am on the invite hunt myself right now too...what I am finding is have a number that you want to spend and if you are going to work with a designer let them know up front and a lot of them will work in your budget.  

Good Luck 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi James!

I guess we're in the same boat. However, I've got some more time to browse around. I live in Union City, NJ. I've been to a few places around the area (NYC and NJ), and the store I really liked is located in Hoboken on Washington Street next to Starbucks.

The staff was really knowledgeable about the custom invitations and STDs. I don't know what "low" price is to you, but they carry so many designers that I am almost positive they could work around your budget and make it special for you. I am definitely placing my order with them when I get closer to my date.

Here's the website if you are interested in checking them out shopyesido.com

I would like to hear from you what other websites and resources you're using to prepare?

Good luck,

Alexandra

• The one recommendation I would make is:  Unless everyone you are connected to on Facebook is invited to the wedding, minimize your wedding-related posts and don't use it to issue invitations to your wedding or wedding-related events.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards