Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank You notes & deaths

What do I do if someone died between my wedding and sending out the Thank You notes??? Do I send it to the next of kin or do I just not send one...??

Re: Thank You notes & deaths

• StephEnis said:
    What do I do if someone died between my wedding and sending out the Thank You notes??? Do I send it to the next of kin or do I just not send one...??
    Before I answer, how long between your wedding and their death?

• I would not send one.
  • I wouldn't send one either. The mail we got for my dad right after he died was kinda upsetting. We usually didn't even open it and just marked on it return to sender.

If the deceased attended with somebody else then of course send them a note thanking them for coming etc etc
  • Ditto PPs. I wouldn't send one.

• You send a note of condolence to the family. And in it you mention how happy you are this person was at your wedding or parties (if they were). You mention the gift, and that you will think of the person when you use it or whatever.

The family now has one more memory of how nice their relative was. And incidentally, whoever is doing their bills or property inventory won't search for a set of luggage or whatever the gift that appears on a charge card or check entry. They will know it is not missing, that you have it. Gift received is one part of the thank you note function.
  • Thank you all for the advice!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards