Chit Chat
Options

Would it suck to be an hour early?

We have blocks at 2 hotels that are right next to each other, and we rented a trolley for the day for guest transportation to and from those hotels. 

I wanted to do two trips. Hotel 1, hotel 2, venue; hotel 1, hotel 2, venue. That way the early birds can catch the first ride, and the stragglers can still take advantage of the transportation. 

I spoke with the lady at the trolley company and even though everything is close by, the trolley moves slower than a normal car and it takes people a while to "load," so in order to make 2 trips, the first set of people will end up getting to the venue an hour before the ceremony starts. 

The kind of sucks because it cuts down a bit on the time we have to get ready and whatnot, but it's manageable. 

We were already planning on having water and iced tea set up outside (outdoor ceremony, weather permitting) and the DJ will be there early so he said he could play some pre-ceremony music. If people are getting there so early, I'd also ask the caterer to set out a cheese tray or something. But does that suck? 

Should I just cut it down to one trip, and if the people don't catch the trolley that one time around then too bad? We're expecting about 120 guests and the trolley seats 30 ppl plus some standing room (another reason to make 2 trips rather than 1) but the venue has parking as well so ppl are free to just drive themselves if they'd rather do that. 

Another thing that has me a little worried is that the only place for me to wait is inside the venue, which is all one big room. If people come super early and need to use the bathroom or something, I'll just be sitting there in my wedding dress (definitely not the end of the world but kind of weird). Or if they'd prefer to wait inside for that hour, I can't say "no, stay outside! You can't see me!" Obviously I'd let them hang out inside... so then I'm sitting there hanging out with guests before the ceremony even starts? Again, not the end of the world but kind of weird to me.  

Sorry, I feel like I've posted tons of questions lately where I'm over-thinking things and indecisive. If it's any consolation to those of you who are awesome enough to keep putting up with me, I'm pretty much like this every day, regardless of wedding planning lol. And TIA for advice and opinions! 

TLDR: have the trolley make 2 trips and some people will get to the outdoor ceremony an hour early, or have it make 1 trip and some people might miss the ride.

Re: Would it suck to be an hour early?

• Options
    You know, I attended a wedding where the first bus trip got us there about 45 minutes early.  Everyone who took that early trip is the type of person who would show up early anyway, KWIM?

Having water and juice or a cheese tray or something would be nice if you can swing it, yes. 

What about a screen you can "hide" behind, well away from the bathroom section? The bridal party has to put their personal belongings somewhere, right?

A few guests seeing you in your dress before the ceremony isn't the end of the world.  I showed up to my venue at the same time as some punctual guests and we rode the elevator together. No biggie! 

• Options
    I'm of the opinion that as long as people have chairs to sit in and refreshments to keep them alive, it's probably ok--is there anything else "to do" at your venue? (For example, mine is a nature preserve so theoretically a person could arrive early and take a little stroll on the more manicured, fancy-shoe-friendly trails). If so, then you're extra golden.

I think also if you go with 2 trips, just make it really clear that the early trolley will drop off at X time, and the later one at Y time. Then people can decide whether to be early and hang or risk not fitting on the later trolley and getting there closer to the ceremony.

I could be wrong on this and overlooking some egregious thing that would inconvenience your guests, but so far I'm drawing a blank since you're planning to keep them fed, watered, and seated.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Option 3: cancel the trolley because it doesn't work for your needs and use vans that can drive at normal speeds and get people there at reasonable times. Getting to the venue an hour early means being all dolled up and ready to get on that trolley well over an hour before the ceremony starts. That's much too early and people probably won't use it. You don't have to provide transport at all, but you shouldn't offer it and then only be able to accommodate 30 people.
    There's that inconvenience I was overlooking!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    We had 2 runs, which resulted in the first run to get there 45 minutes early. Those people are the early birds anyway.   

We were to have water and lemonade for them as they wait.  However, due to the storm and everything getting moved to the tent those people some how got the bar to open.  Ha!  These were not the young whipper snappers.  Nope, these were my 70 year olds aunts/ uncles and 50 year old cousins.   Who ever said only the college age kids hit up a bar never met my family. 

It was not a problem at all.

We did OOT bags.  Inside had the trolley schedule.   We were sure the 2nd one would be the most popular, but it ended up being the 1st one.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We had a pre-ceremony cocktail hour at out wedding. So just grab a glass and mingle with them!

An hour is pretty long, but if they have the schedule then it's their choice to use it!
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    We had 2 runs, which resulted in the first run to get there 45 minutes early. Those people are the early birds anyway.   

We were to have water and lemonade for them as they wait.  However, due to the storm and everything getting moved to the tent those people some how got the bar to open.  Ha!  These were not the young whipper snappers.  Nope, these were my 70 year olds aunts/ uncles and 50 year old cousins.   Who ever said only the college age kids hit up a bar never met my family. 

It was not a problem at all.

We did OOT bags.  Inside had the trolley schedule.   We were sure the 2nd one would be the most popular, but it ended up being the 1st one.
    Same here. The first run wasn't as full as the second, but it worked. If you weren't ready, you weren't forced in the van, and if the second one didn't work you were free to drive.

You're providing a convenience to people - you're not obligated to provide transportation. This isn't like some people not getting dinner.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    100% of our guests were OOT.

90% of our guests drink.

There happened to be a strong tropical storm that day.  You can't even imagine the wind driven rains.

The convenience of having transportation FAR outweighed the inconvenience of getting to the venue early.

I would say 80% of the guests used the transportation.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Option 3: cancel the trolley because it doesn't work for your needs and use vans that can drive at normal speeds and get people there at reasonable times. Getting to the venue an hour early means being all dolled up and ready to get on that trolley well over an hour before the ceremony starts. That's much too early and people probably won't use it. You don't have to provide transport at all, but you shouldn't offer it and then only be able to accommodate 30 people.
    I'm less about the time waiting for the ceremony and more about the fact that only half of your guests will be able to use it. Are you going to do a sort of RSVP for it? What if 100 want to use it? 
  • Options
    I'm less about the time waiting for the ceremony and more about the fact that only half of your guests will be able to use it. Are you going to do a sort of RSVP for it? What if 100 want to use it? 
    That's a really good question... I just double checked, and I was wrong. It doesn't seat 30 people, it seats 40, so a total of 80. 

About 30 of the guests will already be at the venue (because I include our WP, parents, siblings, and their kids in the total guest count). The trolley is picking them up sooner than any of the other guests to take them the venue for pictures. 

A few guests live within 20 minutes to an hour of the venue and have told us they don't plan on staying. And a few, I'm sure, would rather drive themselves. 

So I think.... with all things considered.... everyone who's interested in riding the trolley will fit. 
  • Options
    If the first run arrives at the venue and hour before the wedding and it moves slow - how long before the wedding do the guests at the first hotel have to get on the trolley? I wouldn't mind being an hour early so much as I would getting on the trolley 2 hours early. Will they even be able to check in and get ready before the first pick up?

I fear the second run will be full before you get to hotel #2.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    If the first run arrives at the venue and hour before the wedding and it moves slow - how long before the wedding do the guests at the first hotel have to get on the trolley? I wouldn't mind being an hour early so much as I would getting on the trolley 2 hours early. Will they even be able to check in and get ready before the first pick up?

The actual trolley ride only takes 15 minutes. You're right though, there is potential for it to fill up at one hotel before it gets to the second hotel... 
  • Options
    I personally think arriving to a ceremony an hour early is a bit much. I know everyone is different, but I usually arrive no more than 15 mins early. I think as long as you would have enough room on the trolley if everyone decides to take the second run, you're good.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    So is the ceremony and the recp at the same place? What happens at the end of the night if it takes an hour round trip?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I worked in a hotel for the better part of 10 years. We had many wedding parties do this. It is better to have 2 rides. Like someone else said, the people that will be on the early ride would be those who would be early anyway. The stragglers can catch the 2nd round. And any super-stragglers are SOL (yes, I've seen that happen) and have to drive themselves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

The actual trolley ride only takes 15 minutes. You're right though, there is potential for it to fill up at one hotel before it gets to the second hotel... 
    Are the hotels close enough (you mentioned they're right next to each other) that the trolley could pick up at only one hotel and the people staying at the other could just walk next door to catch it?

I feel like that would eliminate a lot of the possibility of filling up at one before it reaches the other....
  • Options
    Casadena said:

Are the hotels close enough (you mentioned they're right next to each other) that the trolley could pick up at only one hotel and the people staying at the other could just walk next door to catch it?

I feel like that would eliminate a lot of the possibility of filling up at one before it reaches the other....

SIB
    That's a really good idea. I'll have to check it out because I can't remember if they're literally side-by-side, or if they're across the street from each other. I'm sure some people wouldn't mind walking across a street but I want to make sure it's a very easy and very short walk. 
  • Options
    We had 3 stops.  2 runs.  Just like you , I did spend I lot of time stressing over it, but in the end it just was not an issue.

As far as the end of the night, we had the trolley was there all night so people could leave when they wanted.  We were on the last run.  It wasn't packed, but it wasn't empty either.  It was comfortable amount.

• Options
    So is the ceremony and the recp at the same place? What happens at the end of the night if it takes an hour round trip?
    Yep, they're at the same place. The trolley can take guests back whenever they request it but it's also gonna start doing scheduled trips back I think starting at 9? They'll know ahead of time when it's making the trips back so they can pick which time they want to go. 
  • Options
    For ours, we had people sign up at reception for one of the two pickups. So they knew when to be on which shuttle ahead of time, and nobody was waiting for a bus that was already full. Could you have a signup at each hotel with 20 spots each? 

• Options
    For ours, we had people sign up at reception for one of the two pickups. So they knew when to be on which shuttle ahead of time, and nobody was waiting for a bus that was already full. Could you have a signup at each hotel with 20 spots each? 
    Also a really good idea. 
  • Options
    I had a shuttle do a couple of trips before the wedding. I think the earliest people arrived 45ish minutes early. We also had an outdoor ceremony, so we encouraged people to come inside and grab some water. It was kind of like a pre-wedding cocktail hour. We greeted everyone and caught up with out of town family. It was kind of nice actually. It made me a lot less nervous.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I was just at a wedding who had two trips, with about an hour wait time for the first trip people. As PP's have said, anyone who would normally get there early will just get on the first trip. If they know they will be an hour early, and choose to ride it, then that is their decision. I picked the early trip and was happy as a clam. I <3 being early and occupy myself no matter what.

Don't stress. You are being generous by offering free rides, if people don't like the scheduled times, they will just drive themselves.
  • Options
    Thanks, knotties! :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards