Chit Chat
Options

Not even a week in and we already had to change the date.

So, FI has had this date, 2.6.16, stuck in his head and drilled into my head because it's a date he can easily remember. He booked the church (it's the church he grew up in, so his deal). Then yesterday, he goes into work and tells his boss. Boss says "That's a drill weekend." FI says "And..." Boss says, "While I don't care, I don't think the Commander will approve of our whole shop being gone." Damn! So, now it's a week earlier and in January like I wanted in the first place. But still. BUUUUHHHH!!!!
FI first suggested we change it to the week after and I was like, "Valentine's weekend...Hell No!!!" lol
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not even a week in and we already had to change the date.

• Options
    Before you book any date, it's a good idea to check with VIPs and work to ensure the timing is ok. It's probably good that you know this now versus down the road when you've booked a lot of other stuff.

Next time you pick a date, it'd be a good idea to check with these folks before putting down any deposits!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We didn't put any deposits down on anything, thank goodness.

Honestly, his Sgt knew what we were planning. We even all joked about how the shop was going to have to all put in for it off. I guess realization and logistics set in for him when it finally came down to it. Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Welllll that's why you're not supposed to book anything (or get mentally attached to a date) until after you check with VIPs, which is usually not prudent to do until you're engaged.

• Options
    Yeah, I think you need to confirm that your employers will let you get married on your wedding date before you go all gung-ho and book things.

• Options
    Welllll that's why you're not supposed to book anything (or get mentally attached to a date) until after you check with VIPs, which is usually not prudent to do until you're engaged.

--------

I am going to need some background on this, please.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah. I guess we figured, since Sgt already knew.... Lesson learned. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Yeah, I think you need to confirm that your employers will let you get married on your wedding date before you go all gung-ho and book things.

Oops, FI and I still haven't actually requested the time off!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm still waiting for him to let me know that he called the church and changed everything and we have the green light. Everything is riding on the church at this point.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We didn't put any deposits down on anything, thank goodness.

Honestly, his Sgt knew what we were planning. We even all joked about how the shop was going to have to all put in for it off. I guess realization and logistics set in for him when it finally came down to it. Lol.
    I guess everyone has different work situations, but I would just not invite my coworkers (well, I'm not anyway), before I would change my date!

• Options
    KatWAG said:

--------

OP booked the church a while ago but just got "officially engaged" (i.e. got the ring) last weekend. Which, whatever, I'm not gonna judge what makes a person consider themselves engaged, but when you jump the gun on choosing dates and venues before you have an engagement you've deemed worth officially sharing/confirming with your VIPs... that's the risk you take. 

Sorry it's not gonna work out, OP.

• Options
    rockin30ishrockin30ish member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    He's military, so these are all guys that he's really close with, not just co-workers, more like family. And neither of could imagine getting married without them there. We already cut out about half of the people from the base because they are more colleagues than actually friends. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    KatWAG said:

--------

OP booked the church a while ago but just got "officially engaged" (i.e. got the ring) last weekend. Which, whatever, I'm not gonna judge what makes a person consider themselves engaged, but when you jump the gun on choosing dates and venues before you have an engagement you've deemed worth officially sharing/confirming with your VIPs... that's the risk you take. 

Sorry it's not gonna work out, OP.

We didn't book the church until this week. We didn't book anything without the actual ring. And with Sgt knowing what the plan was, it was kind of a shock that he switched his thought on the matter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    you booked the church, but do you have a venue?     Normally they would be booked at the same time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Nope, not yet. We are waiting for the church to give us the green light for the new date (which I'm just as happy with) before we even call the hall. If the venue we want is booked that weekend, we do have backups to call. But, it's the church that is more important to us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We didn't book the church until this week. We didn't book anything without the actual ring. And with Sgt knowing what the plan was, it was kind of a shock that he switched his thought on the matter.
    Ahh. Boo. It's definitely weird that he wouldn't have said "you know that's drill week" before now.

• Options
    luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    Nope, not yet. We are waiting for the church to give us the green light for the new date (which I'm just as happy with) before we even call the hall. If the venue we want is booked that weekend, we do have backups to call. But, it's the church that is more important to us.

I was the same way - we booked the church for the date I wanted, and then if whatever venue didn't have that date, on to the next option! 

ETA: The church has a hall that I would have been perfectly fine with, if everyyyyyything else in town was miraculously booked that day a year out.

• Options
    Ahh. Boo. It's definitely weird that he wouldn't have said "you know that's drill week" before now.
    Exactly. Oh well. What are ya gonna do? I've gotten pretty used to military stuff throwing wrenches into everything. I was bummed for about 5 minutes, then I was good with the new date. But, if we get the church for 1/30, I'm not changing it again! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

FI's group has an Army exercise the week of our wedding.  He's going for part of it, but he's promised me he'll be back on Wednesday for our Saturday wedding.  You gotta just roll with what wrenches the military gives ya! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards