Wedding Party
Options

Outfits for Ushers---having 2 girls (12 &13) and 1 boy (13)

We are having my FI nephew and a friends 2 girls be our ushers. They will be passing our programs (they are a Sunday Morning Newspaper) and letting our guest know that we have a coffee bar set up for them to enjoy. The nephew will be in a tux to match the groomsmen but I don't know what do have the girls wear.

Their mom is a good friend and a single parent they are coming up from San Diego to Livermore for the wedding...so I really want to find something cute but not really expensive.

Any help would be great!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outfits for Ushers---having 2 girls (12 &13) and 1 boy (13)

• Options
    I would just let the mom pick out a dress in a certain color.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

tj&cw said:

We are having my FI nephew and a friends 2 girls be our ushers. They will be passing our programs (they are a Sunday Morning Newspaper) and letting our guest know that we have a coffee bar set up for them to enjoy. The nephew will be in a tux to match the groomsmen but I don't know what do have the girls wear.

Their mom is a good friend and a single parent they are coming up from San Diego to Livermore for the wedding...so I really want to find something cute but not really expensive.

Any help would be great!

I personally think it's a bit much to ask that an usher be in a specified specific outfit, especially since these are kids of traveling parents. I'd tell them to grab any dress of their choosing in one of your wedding colors.

• Options
    We had 2 young ushers and a ring bearer - we told their parents to dress them in whatever they wanted. We gave nonefucks. We knew that no matter what they wore, they'd be adorable (and they were). To me, it's bad enough to make an adult buy a dress/outfit they probably won't ever wear again, but I'd never do that to a kid. My parents had me and my sisters in uncomfortable, ugly dresses that we would never wear again for their wedding, and I still cringe when I look at those pictures more than 20 years later!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the help....she wanted me to pick something. So will just go with colors...since I don't have kids (and don't have any idea where to shop for them) was looking for someplace to get ideas
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tj&cw said:

Any help would be great!

Why did you link your other thread three times in this post?  That's just bizarre.

• Options

I have no idea why that happened....did even realize that it happened.....was just looking for help. I am done...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just tell their mom/dad to dress them in something nice. If they ask for specifics, give a few colors so they have lots of options.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    At 12 and 13 the girls are already old enough to know the sort of thing they like and feel good in.
     They're also at a really self conscious age when wearing something they don't like is an epic tragedy. Huge. They will die. They'll even tell you about their impending death. They say things like: Ohmygod, mom, how could you do this to me, I'm literally going to die.

If you really want to buy them a dress or outfit for the occasion, I think that's nice of you. I love shopping for kids.  

If you can't actually meet or shop with them beforehand, I'd pick a department store or two online (whatever your price range is that you feel good in. Macy's, Kohls, Nordstrom, JCPenney, even Target has some pretty things. Dillard's had a lot of children's things that looked nice, I didn't check the juniors, and had surprisingly reasonable prices.)

Send a nice email to Mom, that you'd like the girls to choose something in price range a-c. I think you should set as few specifications as possible. Like, "a nice party dress, nothing too formal," or "a dressy outfit," in case either one of them is an absolute dress hater who'd be truly miserable. 

For ushers, who aren't standing up with the wedding party, I wouldn't ask for a specific color. Maybe just offer it as an option- like, "coral or blush, if they'd like to match the wedding party." 

If things don't fit correctly, their Mom can handle online exchanges easily. 
  • Options
    tj&cw said:

I have no idea why that happened....did even realize that it happened.....was just looking for help. I am done...

You're done with what?

• Options

Question: When somebody who knows things takes the time to write out a carefully thought out, polite,  reasonable, cost efficient reply, with multiple suggestions (at your request) the answer is:

A: I'm done.
    B: Thank you.
    C: Maybe there are hidden meanings in random blue words. Or not. It could just be for blue.

Hint: You're welcome.

• Options

@tj&cw Easter is coming up, so ask the moms to pick up a nice dress after Easter since all the formal dresses will be on clearance.  Give her color guidelines.

Also, please re-think making your nephew wear a tux as an usher.  Tuxes for kids can often cost MORE than the adult tuxes.  If you are dead set on a tux, my SIL purchased kid tuxes off amazon for way less than the cost of a rental.  She also was able to sell them on ebay after the wedding since they only wore them twice (they wore them again for Easter).  They look just like the tuxes my H & GM wore.  There is also a website called tinytux.com, where you could buy a tux cheaper than a rental.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards