Wedding Etiquette Forum

male bridesmaid

I asked my very close male friend to be in my and my fiancé wedding, he has 5 groomsmen, and I have 5 bridesmaids on my side,, I was wondering if I should have an extra girl on my side so he has someone to walk back down the aisle with and for the group pics. I read things saying to have everyone walk back down alone but I haven't found anything about the group pics when each bridesmaid is paired with a groomsmen, the majority of pictures that were taken when I was a bridesmaid, had each of us paired with a guy, I know i don't have to have them paired but I thought a couple would be nice. Any thoughts? Opinions?

Best Answer

Answers

• Honestly? No, that's terribly rude. Think about how you would feel if someone put you in that position, or how your "extra" bridesmaid would feel if you told her honestly what you were thinking.

"Hey Sally! Listen, I know we aren't the closest of friends and I already picked all the ladies that I really want to be my bridesmaids, but I need one extra person to make the sides even. So could you be a bridesmaid?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    Groomsmen and bridesmaids don't have to walk down together. What we are doing is all the groomsmen wait up front in a line, and the bridesmaids walk down alone 1 by 1. They meet their "paired" groomsmen at the alter, bow, and then sit on separate sides. In a situation like this, the "bridesman" can be the last man before the MOH and BM, and bow alone at the alter and sit down. OR 2 men can bow together with one bridesmaid and then sit down, OR he can walk one of the mothers down the aisle. LOTS of options! (note--if it's not a religious ceremony, you can do the same, minus bowing, they just go up front and then sit or stand in the right spot)

If you want the groomsmen and BM to walk down together, just do 2 men with 1 girl to start. It'll make people smile.

We have 2 more men in our wedding than women, and we're so not worried--we're having them walk the mothers down the aisle. Sides don't always need to be even for photos either. It'll still look good.
  • kcm5511 said:
    I asked my very close male friend to be in my and my fiancé wedding, he has 5 groomsmen, and I have 5 bridesmaids on my side,, I was wondering if I should have an extra girl on my side so he has someone to walk back down the aisle with and for the group pics. I read things saying to have everyone walk back down alone but I haven't found anything about the group pics when each bridesmaid is paired with a groomsmen, the majority of pictures that were taken when I was a bridesmaid, had each of us paired with a guy, I know i don't have to have them paired but I thought a couple would be nice. Any thoughts? Opinions?
    Thank you for clarifying that. I would have thought you weren't getting married to anybody if you hadn't. Although I guess it's somewhat better than "my fiance and I's wedding"...
  • I was a groomswoman at my brother's, I walked up with a bridesmaid. No big deal.

• Boy girl pairing, or avoiding any singles in a procession, went out at the same time that hostesses stopped having to come up with the proverbial Extra Man in order to invite any single, widowed or divorced woman to a dinner party.
  • Why on earth would you pair your bridesmaids and groomsmen into faux couples for pictures?

• Viczaesar said:

Why on earth would you pair your bridesmaids and groomsmen into faux couples for pictures?

This always makes me think of really old style weddings some areas still do where the bridal party sits in pairs together at a head table, all through toasts, dinner, and after parents dances these pairs must dance one dance together. All this time BP dates or SO are sitting far away. Weird , to me.
    BP may or may not walk with others but they are not couples.
  • Why on earth would you pair your bridesmaids and groomsmen into faux couples for pictures?
    ************ This always makes me think of really old style weddings some areas still do where the bridal party sits in pairs together at a head table, all through toasts, dinner, and after parents dances these pairs must dance one dance together. All this time BP dates or SO are sitting far away. Weird , to me. BP may or may not walk with others but they are not couples.
    Seriously. We did not pair our wedding party up for pictures or at a table (no head table, in fact) and we actually had two married couples in the bunch. Everyone got to sit wherever they wanted.
  • That is how I think it should be, but other people seem to like to have the Queen and King, Ladies in waiting and Knights, all paired off.
  • I am having a bridesman and am just having him walk with my grandmother on the way back down the aisle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is a non-issue.  A good photographer will pose your pictures well.  Adding someone to make your pictures look nice is terribly rude, devalues the people you already have in your wedding party, and makes the added person feel like they are only there for the pictures (which is exactly why they would be there).  Don't do it.  It won't be awkward..  Honestly, I think pairing up fake couples for pictures is waaay more awkward than simply having him walk down the aisle alone, or having everyone walk in single file.  Plusandalso.....even sides don't matter. Nobody cares.  Just pick the people you are closest to. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards