Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Symbolic ceremony due to marriage requirements n mexico

Re: Symbolic ceremony due to marriage requirements n mexico

• Options
    redoryx said:

curiouskg said:

And a wedding night is supposed to be the first time a man and a woman consummate their relationship.  Did you tell all of your guests that you did the deed prior to your wedding?  

Says who?

Besides, the mere act of sleeping with someone has no legal implications. Getting married does.

AND THIS.
  • Options
    What's this "symbolic wedding" shit?? Isn't it symbolic to get married? The first time?

• Options

What's this "symbolic wedding" shit?? Isn't it symbolic to get married? The first time?

I can't find the right gif but these "symbolic ceremony" bullshits always make me think of that cop guy in Boondock Saints - "what's the symbology in that?"
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

curiouskg said:

And a wedding night is supposed to be the first time a man and a woman consummate their relationship.  Did you tell all of your guests that you did the deed prior to your wedding?  

Wait, what?

Is that the legal definition of marriage?

Picture this scenario:

Bride & groom get married (or sign papers, as y'all like to refer to it) at JOP on a Friday.

Groom gets carried away on their flight to their "DW" (aka, PPD), has a few too many Miller Lights on the plane, and joins the mile high club with a flight attendant on a Saturday.

Sunday, this couple has their "symbolic ceremony" in wherever-the-hell island in front of friends & family they have lied to or lied to by omission about not being married.

Monday, bride (really, "wife" since Friday) discovers lascivious texts on husband's phone from frisky flight attendant relaying how she can't stop thinking about how he made her soar above the clouds (or some other terrible airplane pun) on Saturday. Wife decides to file for divorce (not annulment as by YOUR logic, they have boned on Sunday night, taking annulment off the table in some religions.)

I ask you, I CHALLENGE you to tell me when they will have been considered married by attorneys, judges, juries, court of law, God, etc. Friday or Sunday? And tell me that that date is as immaterial in the court proceedings as it is in this fantasy world where you (general you) brush these details under the rug, do not disclose them to your nearest and dearest to suit YOUR agenda?!

The only agenda MOST people have on here is to advise people on proper etiquette as well as how not to make complete asses of themselves and ruin relationships with friends loved ones in the process. What you will not get here is encouragement for bad behavior. Lying is bad behavior no matter how you try to cloak it in made up rules and bizzare definitions.

I am hoping you will answer me though, in the scenario above, when was the couple married? Friday or Sunday? You have a 50% chance of getting it right.

• Options
    mcneills said:

Has anyone gotten married before going to Mexico to make things flow easier... Elope n us but then have symbolic ceremony in Mexico? Which would you celebrate as far as an anniversary... The elopement in the US of the symbolic ceremony

Oh boy

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    hsgator said:

This is what is known as a "PPD" aka. Pretty Princess Day. 

There is a thread about it on the Etiquette board that I highly recommend. 

So to answer your question, OP, your anniversary is the day you get married. Which is the day you sign the marriage license and actually get married. You wouldn't celebrate an anniversary of a wedding re-enactment. You shouldn't do a wedding re-enactment at all. Vow renewal, sure. Wedding re-enactment, no. 
    Shit, when I was in highschool I was in Roger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella as Cinderella. . . and at the end of the show Charming and I got married.  I had a huge white dress and everything.

I guess that symbolic marriage was legit and now Charming and I are big ole bigamists. . . whoops!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    curiouskg said:

Are you serious? 
    Uhm. No. Nor did I issue formal invitations to guests asking them to please join us for our first fuck. 
  • Options
    Oh yeah, another thread with people who want to have a party in an overpriced, tacky resort in Mexico but don't want to do any of the actual getting married there.

Just put on the invitation that the guests are invited to a "celebration" of marriage, people who think resorts in Mexico are cool and exotic will come, those of us who want to spend our money and vacation time on anything else will politely decline.

Anniversary
  • Options

curiouskg said:

Are you serious? 
    Uhm. No. Nor did I issue formal invitations to guests asking them to please join us for our first fuck. 

I think you are in the clear there, @ohannabelle. I am guessing that the attire (or lack thereof) as well as your choice of venue indicated a casual "affair". Therefore, oral invitations could suffice.
  • Options
    I've made the decision to have a legal wedding in the US and the symbolic destination wedding.  I think some people on here like to push their agendas as the only way to do things.  I've polled many of my guests regarding the symbolic wedding.  They couldn't be happier for us, regardless of the symbolic nature of the ceremony.  In fact, I believe it is pretty common for US residents to do the symbolic ceremony.  I recently spent a week at the resort I'm getting married at and observed 12 weddings in that time.  Only one was a legal wedding, if that gives you any idea of the acceptance of it (outside of this board, of course).  And I will celebrate our anniversary on our symbolic ceremony day.  What difference does it make?
    Could you possibly clarify the bolded?  I am honestly interested to hear what people who don't agree with our etiquette advice consider "our agenda".  

Honestly, we don't have any skin in this game, unlike the entire wedding industry.  If I were a dress maker, or a baker, or a venue, or a gift registry manager, I'd be all, "Yeah! Great idea! Celebrate your wedding as many times as you want, it's your day!", because I would stand to profit from all these post-wedding "weddings".  That is the definition of having an agenda...

As I said in another comment, the reason people on TK are advising against doing this (having a wedding at a JOP or courthouse, NOT disclosing it, and inviting people to a "traditional wedding ceremony after their actually married) is because it's wrong.  People on here will call that out simply because they are trying to prevent others who don't know any better from doing something that at the very best will offend a few and at the worst (if they are found out) sever relationships.  That's the agenda.  

If you could elaborate on the bolded though, I'd appreciate it.  I'd be interested to hear your opinion on what the agenda of "people on here" is.  
  • Options

curiouskg said:

Are you serious? 
    Do I get a PPD for our first married sex? 
    I am wondering if the OP and her HUSBAND will not be having sex between the wedding and the symbolic "wedding"?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @curiouskg I am amazed at how clueless you are, but most of all how SELFISH you are.  WOW
  • Options

curiouskg said:

Are you serious? 
    Do I get a PPD for our first married sex? 
    Do I get one because we stayed up too late having fun with our guests that we were too tired to screw on our wedding night?

• Options

curiouskg said:

Wait, what?

Is that the legal definition of marriage?

Picture this scenario:

Bride & groom get married (or sign papers, as y'all like to refer to it) at JOP on a Friday.

Groom gets carried away on their flight to their "DW" (aka, PPD), has a few too many Miller Lights on the plane, and joins the mile high club with a flight attendant on a Saturday.

Sunday, this couple has their "symbolic ceremony" in wherever-the-hell island in front of friends & family they have lied to or lied to by omission about not being married.

Monday, bride (really, "wife" since Friday) discovers lascivious texts on husband's phone from frisky flight attendant relaying how she can't stop thinking about how he made her soar above the clouds (or some other terrible airplane pun) on Saturday. Wife decides to file for divorce (not annulment as by YOUR logic, they have boned on Sunday night, taking annulment off the table in some religions.)

I ask you, I CHALLENGE you to tell me when they will have been considered married by attorneys, judges, juries, court of law, God, etc. Friday or Sunday? And tell me that that date is as immaterial in the court proceedings as it is in this fantasy world where you (general you) brush these details under the rug, do not disclose them to your nearest and dearest to suit YOUR agenda?!

The only agenda MOST people have on here is to advise people on proper etiquette as well as how not to make complete asses of themselves and ruin relationships with friends loved ones in the process. What you will not get here is encouragement for bad behavior. Lying is bad behavior no matter how you try to cloak it in made up rules and bizzare definitions.

I am hoping you will answer me though, in the scenario above, when was the couple married? Friday or Sunday? You have a 50% chance of getting it right.
    What about this scenario?  Couple doesn't want to go through the dram of a legal Mexican wedding so they get married on Monday before they leave for their Saturday "wedding" in Mexico.  Groom gets hit by a bus on Tuesday.  Who is Next Of Kin?  His parents or his wife?  Who gets to make the End of Life decisions?  Who gets to keep all his shit if he dies?  Are they married or not?  They never made it to Mexico for their wedding.  Are they married or not?
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

curiouskg said:

No, but I also didn't invite them to witness round 2 and tell them it was our first time.

• Options
    If someone wants to get married in another country without actually getting legally married there, I wouldn't go. You know what that says to me? "Not only do we want to take a vacation with our closest family and friends, we want to be the center of attention while we're there!"

If you want to take a family/friend vacation, just try to schedule it. Don't go through the dog and pony show of a wedding re-enactment just to get people there. 

If someone invited me to their re-enactment, I wouldn't go. The resort vacation isn't my thing. If someone invited me to their "destination wedding" and I found out later it was a re-enactment, the friendship would be over for wasting my time, my money, and for lying to me. 

• Options

I would hope the people that are going to be at your destination weding want to be there even if it is a symbol wedding. Destination weddings are ment to be celebrated with your closest family and friends, if they have an issue celebrating a symbolic ceremony maybe they shouldn't be invited at all. It's your wedding enjoy it. I'm planning my destination wedding right now and I've found through the process that the people who really want to be there will be there. If they are complaining about a symbolic ceremony, the are probably just trying to find an excuse not to go. Good luck to all the destination wedding brides, stay focused on what's important :)

One of my very good friends was getting "married" in Mexico last summer. I was invited. I casually asked her whether they were actually getting legally married there, and she said they were "signing the paperwork" the week before, because it was too difficult to do it in Mexico (but it was not public information, I got the impression that she only told me because I asked, and that she just didn't think it was a big deal).

Up until that point, I was going to do whatever I could to make it to their wedding. I decided not to go when I found out they were not actually getting married there. So no, I was not just looking for an excuse not to go. I wanted to see them get married, but I wouldn't waste my vacation time, and money, to watch a re-enactment.

Does the bride know that I was judging her for her decision to re-enact her wedding in Mexico? No, she doesn't, because I don't want to stir the shit. So don't assume that your friends and family are thrilled to spend time and money watching a fake wedding; just because they don't tell you how they feel doesn't mean they agree with your decisions.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards