Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Vacuum recommendations

Looking for a vacuum, preferably under $200 but willing to spend more money if it's worth it.  Our entire house is hardwood floors, and I currently have a Delta cordless.  I love it, but I wasn't thinking when I bought it and it has a beater bar, which is probably not the best thing for the floors.  Not to mention I can't stand having to try and untangle hair from the bar.  I really like the cordless stick option though as it's easy to quickly move it through all the rooms on both floors.  Any recommendations for one without a beater bar and just suction?  Is that even an option?

And what about the area rugs?  Should I just look into getting a cheaper corded vacuum?  One of our area rugs is shaggy, and while the Delta has a "carpet" setting, it just can't handle the shag.  Any recommendations for a cheaper corded vacuum?  We don't have many area rugs and it wouldn't get a ton of use, so I'd rather put the money towards the hardwood vacuum.  

Re: NWR: Vacuum recommendations

• Options
    Dyson. Must. Expensive and freaking worth it. I owned one before I worked for them. Have one in my new place. Love love love.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I have this one and love it. Super lightweight and maneuverable, cleans really well, and does an awesome job on the wood kitchen floor with the microfiber attachment head thing.

ETA is also has a setting for just suction with no brush, which is good for shaggy rugs.

• Options
    We have a shark professional. Love this thing. Target kohls walmart hh gregg if you havr them have them.
  • Options
    I'm a Dyson girl.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Thanks ladies.....I'm going to research both brands now.....
  • Options
    I have a Dyson Animal Complete, and honestly I don't believe the hype over it - I've had it for over a year and it's not ZOMG the best vacuum ever, IMO.  

• Options
    We have a Dyson that we got really cheap because it was the display model at Best Buy.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'd go with a Shark. Dysons are way overpriced an they get lower ratings on Consumer Reports.

I personally can't see spending $700+ for a vacuum. I'd rather buy kitchen or tech gadgets for that price.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I know I'm coming super late to this but if you haven't bought a vacuum yet I have another recommendation. I have almost all hardwoods too and I needed a vacuum around $200. I ended up finding a Kenmore for $279 (I know it's a little more but not much) that is amazing and also has a pet hair attachment which sucks all the dog hair off of my furniture. It's one of the top recommended in Consumer Reports for the price. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    There's a refurnished Dyson on Groupon right now I just saw. 
  • Options
    Shark > Dyson IMHO...we have a long haired dog and the shark is the bomb diggity
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I haven't bought anything yet, still trying to decide.  I'm leaning towards a Shark though.  I hear great things about Dysons, and then some like @mobride2015 and I'm really afraid I'll be underwhelmed.  With no carpet (only a few area rugs) and no pets (or kids!), I'm not sure spending that kind of money for one makes sense.  Thank you ladies for your opinions!  I've looked at each one!
  • Options
    I have a dog that sheds like crazy and carpets so we have to have vacuums special for pet hair. We decided on a Hoover and love it! that thing is crazy powerful! We got a Neato robotic vacuum for Christmas from my parents and I love that too. It's like a cheaper Roomba; it knows where to go how to avoid things, but it does occasionally get stuck. I think they paid around $300 for it but again, this one is the one special for pet hair so the normal ones are probably a little cheaper. If you don't have full carpets, this alone is fine but if you have full carpet, you'd need a regular vacuum to supplement it, though the regular vacuum is for deeper cleaning and corners. Pet hair gets in deep.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    JoanE2012 said:
    I haven't bought anything yet, still trying to decide.  I'm leaning towards a Shark though.  I hear great things about Dysons, and then some like @mobride2015 and I'm really afraid I'll be underwhelmed.  With no carpet (only a few area rugs) and no pets (or kids!), I'm not sure spending that kind of money for one makes sense.  Thank you ladies for your opinions!  I've looked at each one!
    I have a Bissell Cleanview Helix that I absolutely adore, but I don't think they make this model anymore. If you can find one, though, I'd highly, highly recommend it -- and I have two cats that shed all over the damn place. 

I was really excited when FI and I started talking about moving in together because he said he has a Dyson, but I've been pretty underwhelmed. Now that we're living together, I almost always use my Bissell instead. 
  • Options
    H and I have 3 dogs and a cat inside and we have the Shark professional. It is amazing!

• Options
    I have a dog that sheds and I might even be worse.. I have a Hoover Linx cordless, less than $200 and awesome! I use it on all the hardwood, bathrooms, and the stairs. It has two settings so you can turn the beater bar on or off . I use it for all area rugs  and the stairs with it on, then turn it off when I get to the hardwood. Super light and I love it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards