Flowers

Winter flowers wilting

Our wedding is next February and I'm starting to research what flowers we will want. I don't remember where, but I recently heard somewhere that bouquets will wilt if we take pictures outside in the cold air. I would put care, but we are thinking of doing a first look before the ceremony, and photos outdoors before (since it will get dark early). I don't want to miss out on day light pictures, but I don't want to walk down the aisle with wilted, brown flowers. Can anyone confirm or deny that winter air wrecks flowers? (We are also considering silk flowers, but they can be more expensive and harder to design than fresh flowers, so there are pros and cons) Thank you!

Re: Winter flowers wilting

• Hi

I would have to say talk to your florist. Let them your time frame....with pictures and your concerns with the weather. They will be able to show you flowers that will hold up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Depends where you are and how cold is cold for you.  Flowers are kept in a cooler to preserve freshness, so they actually like it a bit cold - I'd talk to your florist to make sure, though.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Would you consider silk flowers for just your bouquet, since you'll be outside the most? I bought a beautiful bouquet on Etsy for roughly $114-120 (Can't remember exact price). I can send you the link if you'd like.

I purchased the silk bouquet because I wanted to keep it forever. My wedding is in January, so I know how you feel.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• This really depends on what part of the country you're in.  Florida in February for outdoor pictures is significantly different than Minnesota in the middle of February.  What happens is if the temps are below say 32-40 degrees safely since many blooms are tropical too cool can raise issues, they can freeze.  Some flowers like roses are a little hardier and you can snap a few pictures without worrying too much but gentler blooms they'll be likely to wilt if they get too cold and then warm up. 
  • Talk to your florist because I'm sure you're right that some types of flowers are more sensitive to cold then others. Just like the heat in the summer will make other flowers (for example tulips) wilt quickly. I think you are safe with roses, as my mom usually is getting the last of her roses out of her garden mid November and I live in Cleveland, OH. A good florist will be able to give you the look and longivity you are looking for. You may have to forgo certain types of flowers, but as long as you are open to that, I'm sure you can get a beautiful bouquet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards