Registry and Gift Forum

blueprintregistry.com

Has anyone used blueprintregistry.com? I just happened to come across it and my fiance and I thought it was a cool concept. We really don't need a ton of stuff for the home so we liked the idea of being able to register for the few things we do need/want as well as being able to do a honeymoon registry to help out with that cost as well. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: blueprintregistry.com

• There are SEVERAL threads about this topic because brides often come here looking for a polite way or cutesy poem to let people know that they want money for their honeymoon or a home down payment.

It doesn't go over well. It's rude to ask your guests for money, and a honeymoon registry (or home fund or registering for gift cards or cash, like that site is promoting) is doing just that - asking your friends and family for money. Getting married does not excuse rude behavior.

The purpose of a traditional registry is so that guests can avoid getting you duplicate gifts and they can get a feel for your tastes. Traditional registries are etiquette approved.

If you want money for your honeymoon, either do not register at all, or create a very small registry of the things you actually do want or need. Everyone knows that cash is a great gift. Please do not offend your nearest and dearest.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Please don't do this. It makes you look incredibly rude to just beg your guests for cash.

Furthermore, honeymoon registries don't typically work the way they seem to -- typically you register for an experience, let's say swimming with dolphins. We'll say it costs $100. So Aunt Linda says "Oh, swimming with dolphins!! How cool!" and buys that for you. What's actually happening is that she's going to give the company the registry is through $100, then they'll take a fee out of that - usually somewhere in the 3-7% neighborhood -- and then they'll cut you a check for the rest. There are no dolphins. You can use all of that check on blow and hookers if you feel like it, and Aunt Linda gets duped in the end, as do you. 

People are not dumb. Everyone likes money. If you just don't register, people will usually assume you don't need things and just give you cash anyway. Then you get the full amount and don't end up giving a percentage of your gifts to some random company who lies to you and your guests! 
  • esstee33 said:
    Please don't do this. It makes you look incredibly rude to just beg your guests for cash.

Furthermore, honeymoon registries don't typically work the way they seem to -- typically you register for an experience, let's say swimming with dolphins. We'll say it costs $100. So Aunt Linda says "Oh, swimming with dolphins!! How cool!" and buys that for you. What's actually happening is that she's going to give the company the registry is through $100, then they'll take a fee out of that - usually somewhere in the 3-7% neighborhood -- and then they'll cut you a check for the rest. There are no dolphins. You can use all of that check on blow and hookers if you feel like it, and Aunt Linda gets duped in the end, as do you. 

People are not dumb. Everyone likes money. If you just don't register, people will usually assume you don't need things and just give you cash anyway. Then you get the full amount and don't end up giving a percentage of your gifts to some random company who lies to you and your guests! 
    This isn't already an offered honeymoon registry experience? 

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    maeday2 said:
    esstee33 said:

This isn't already an offered honeymoon registry experience? 

I mean, what's a party without them???? 
  • You will probably get cash gifts so you can use that money towards your honeymoon. No need to set up a registry asking people for money. You should never ask for money.
  • Everyone is going to have their negative opinions of registries like this. I like the option of having to be able to choose gifts and have a honey fund maybe people who are old school will be offended but I've spoke to so many people about this and think it's a great idea when your oreads have a home and have every thing you need.
  • Everyone is going to have their negative opinions of registries like this. I like the option of having to be able to choose gifts and have a honey fund maybe people who are old school will be offended but I've spoke to so many people about this and think it's a great idea when your oreads have a home and have every thing you need.
    It's a fact, not an opinion, that this is rude as hell.

Sure, you're free to be rude if you want, but the posters here are trying to help posters like the OP avoid embarrassing herself and coming off looking like a greedy pig to her friends and family. 

Behaving yourself with a touch of class is not reserved only for "old school." Being rude is not trendy. 

If you ask your friends and family what they think, they're probably going to pat your head and tell you to do whatever you want because they don't want to hurt your feelings.
    I've had 2 different Facebook friends within the last 6 months post the links to their cash/home fund registries and I was ABSOLUTELY judging them for it. Did I say anything? No.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• We did not register - anywhere. Everyone knows cash is always appropriate, appreciated and often preferred - literally everyone on earth knows this. =o) 
    Some people will want to get you a physical gift - these are not the people who use HM registries. The people who use HM registries are people who would give you a check, but instead think that you will receive the FULL amount they gift you. You you will ACTUALLY receive that massage, not a credit on your bill and if you decide you can get the massage or take the excursion. 

But I have good news :) 
    For our wedding the gifts broke down like this: 75% cash or check, 20% gift cards and 5% physical gifts. 
    If you want money or don't need anything don't register. This is the best way to politely suggest folks give you money. I'm telling you from experience ;-) 
     A HM is not polite, sorry. There is nothing wrong with saying, when asked where you are registered, we are saving up for the honeymoon (or house or big screen TV or whatever it is you'd like to purchase). GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards