Attire & Accessories Forum

Accessory Advice

My dress is this one...image

Its the Oleg Cassini blush, the embroidery has different colors and is simply beautiful! I'm not sure I need a necklace since its so detailed or even a bracelet? But I fell in love with Twigs and Honey flower halo . Very pretty! Can't stop thinking about it plus, I think I wouldn't need to wear anything else should I choose something like this. Key words: Like this. I can't justify spending almost $300 on an accessory. Just can't. I've been searching the internet for something like it but have come up empty handed since a lot of headpieces are either too bare or too outlandish. 

I did find something similar though, this,   which is close to $100 USD. Much more justifiable but not really sure about how big the "jewels" are on it. I don't like gaudy things but I like the draped chain affect. My questions are...should I attempt to make something on my own? I'm crafty though I've never tried making jewelry. Should I keep searching or possibly try and alter the similar item? Or should I just bite the bullet and do the Twigs and Honey? Or heck, does the whole halo thing not work well with my dress? Or if I do end up getting a halo, should I still get a necklace? I'm way out of my league on this one.

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Accessory Advice

• That dress is beautiful! 

I totally feel you on falling in love with something on Twigs and Honey. I ALMOST ordered a hair piece from there, but I just couldn't justify the huge cost, and in the end it just seemed to be a little too much anyway. I ended up ordering these from Etsy and I really love them. They're the perfect little touch of glitz that I needed without being TOO much, and they weren't expensive at all. 

So my advice is to keep looking (sounds like you still have some time, right?). There are millions of pretty hair pieces out there. If you do end up getting that halo hair piece, I would say no necklace because it would be too much I think (I'd say no necklace with that dress anyway. A simple pair of stud earrings would be beautiful!) 

Make something on your own if you think you're up to the challenge, if the supplies are easily affordable, and if you'll be ok with not wearing it if it doesn't turn out well. Since you've never made jewelry before, it could get frustrating and also expensive (not just for the beads and whatnot but for all the tools). 
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Well as someone who spent $350 on my wrap around headband and have ZERO regrets about spending that money, I may not be the best person to comment :)

But like PP said, just keep looking for something that you love with a price that you are comfortable with.  Maybe look into taking a jewelry making class to get a bit more comfortable tackling making your own halo?

If you do go with a halo then I think the only other thing that you could wear is a very delicate bracelet and some stud earrings.  I am someone who, no matter the style of the wedding dress, thinks that the less accessories/simple accessories is always best.

• Fire Mountain Gems and beads had a downloadable booklet on how to do basic beadind and jewelry making, and also a gallery of projects with 1 page instructions.

Your only investment is 1 or 2 tools, inexpensive pair about $10, for pliers with a very fine point for bending wire, and cutters. For under $20, a 5 piece set with additional crimpers, and tool for attaching findings ( fine chains to go between beads on wire, and clasps and earring hooks, etc.).

300 dollars or even 100 is a lot, for someone who might like beading. That dress is absolutely gorgeous, and clear sparklies is one way to go.

But there is just enough color in that dress that something like tigers eye to contrast your neck and shoulders and set off your dress would be a nice option too.

Also, since that dress is such a romantic style, faceted IOLITE which is violet or lavender and some more orchid or amethyst in color, though it seems unlikely, would be nice too. Antique jewelry from periods when frothy fabrics with ivory, beige, and champagne lace or embroidery was often made of iolite or amethyst or either stone with white or colored pearls. It is a great complementary color.
    The dress does need a solid piece necklace at collarbone length, like the length on the model or a little longer. With an updo, or a bun like cluster of braids just at the back of the neck and smooth above (think ballet, or Gene Tierney), a hair ornament too would be great as well, not too much to have both with classic hair style.
  • I like bling, but not on wedding jewelry.  I'm a big fan of traditional pearls.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • That dress is beautiful! 

I totally feel you on falling in love with something on Twigs and Honey. I ALMOST ordered a hair piece from there, but I just couldn't justify the huge cost, and in the end it just seemed to be a little too much anyway. I ended up ordering these from Etsy and I really love them. They're the perfect little touch of glitz that I needed without being TOO much, and they weren't expensive at all. 

So my advice is to keep looking (sounds like you still have some time, right?). There are millions of pretty hair pieces out there. If you do end up getting that halo hair piece, I would say no necklace because it would be too much I think (I'd say no necklace with that dress anyway. A simple pair of stud earrings would be beautiful!) 

Make something on your own if you think you're up to the challenge, if the supplies are easily affordable, and if you'll be ok with not wearing it if it doesn't turn out well. Since you've never made jewelry before, it could get frustrating and also expensive (not just for the beads and whatnot but for all the tools). 
    Thank you so much! I love the dress! :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who fell in love with Twigs and Honey. Their designs are so beautiful without being overwhelming. Those hair accessories are beautiful and you're right, a great price! I'll have to keep looking and see what I come across. I have come across some simple headbands that could be the base and just add to them. One of my friends does jewelry making as a hobby and has graciously offered to let me use her tools should I decide to make one myself. Problem is, the wedding is 8/15/15 and I'm going to be making paper flowers. Paper Garden Theme, so I have a lot of diy that I'm going to be tied down with.

If I do end up making the piece, I would definitely have to get something that is a "completed product" and then subtract and add to save time. I do agree with it not needing a whole lot of jewelry though. I like Maggie0829's idea of the delicate bracelet to go with it as well. Thank you for your advise!
  • Well as someone who spent $350 on my wrap around headband and have ZERO regrets about spending that money, I may not be the best person to comment :)

But like PP said, just keep looking for something that you love with a price that you are comfortable with.  Maybe look into taking a jewelry making class to get a bit more comfortable tackling making your own halo?

If you do go with a halo then I think the only other thing that you could wear is a very delicate bracelet and some stud earrings.  I am someone who, no matter the style of the wedding dress, thinks that the less accessories/simple accessories is always best.

See, I can total understand that mindset and am struggling to try and achieve the same. I figure this a is a once in a life time moment and there are certain aspects that I should just get it over and done with. If I paid the $300, I would have 85% of my wedding look done (hair and make up still pending) and I could focus my time and energy onto something else...I would also still have the product that I keep thinking about, love, and would love to have. But then another side of me is thinking "Well, that's $300 that could go to another part of the wedding, gifts, alcohol, ect." as well as "$300 for an accessory I wear only one day?"  I mean, I could pass it onto my daughter when she gets married but she's only six and when she gets married those big floppy hats could be the latest rage. Its a really big struggle. -_-

I'll keep looking and see if I can find something. If nothing else comes to mind and if I don't find a product that I can alter, I may just end up getting that insanely beautiful halo. :D I love your delicate bracelet idea. I'm not someone who likes jewelry all that much so to have a nice little trinket to give balance to the look sounds perfect to me! Thank you so much!

• Fire Mountain Gems and beads had a downloadable booklet on how to do basic beadind and jewelry making, and also a gallery of projects with 1 page instructions. Your only investment is 1 or 2 tools, inexpensive pair about $10, for pliers with a very fine point for bending wire, and cutters. For under $20, a 5 piece set with additional crimpers, and tool for attaching findings ( fine chains to go between beads on wire, and clasps and earring hooks, etc.). 300 dollars or even 100 is a lot, for someone who might like beading. That dress is absolutely gorgeous, and clear sparklies is one way to go. But there is just enough color in that dress that something like tigers eye to contrast your neck and shoulders and set off your dress would be a nice option too. Also, since that dress is such a romantic style, faceted IOLITE which is violet or lavender and some more orchid or amethyst in color, though it seems unlikely, would be nice too. Antique jewelry from periods when frothy fabrics with ivory, beige, and champagne lace or embroidery was often made of iolite or amethyst or either stone with white or colored pearls. It is a great complementary color. The dress does need a solid piece necklace at collarbone length, like the length on the model or a little longer. With an updo, or a bun like cluster of braids just at the back of the neck and smooth above (think ballet, or Gene Tierney), a hair ornament too would be great as well, not too much to have both with classic hair style.
    Thank you for the information! I'll definitely check it out and do some research. Thankfully a friend has graciously offered to lend me her tools and any advise or help she can give. There's something beautiful about achieving something with your own efforts though....and ideally I would love that but hey, the only jewelry I've made are friendship bracelets. 

I love everything about your post and it was so beautifully written! I'm glad that others find the dress beautiful, I had a very difficult time with my mother over it so it really makes me happy when others (Whom have seen it) find it beautiful too. The descriptions you used just made me fall in love with it all over again. I do like the ideas for alternative stone options, that was another thing I've been struggling with so  I'll have to take a look into those that you've provided. I do have a question though about the hair....The wedding is not something super formal and its more low key so I was thinking of doing something like this:
    But with bangs since I have a widows peak that's pretty predominate. Would that take away from the dress and make it look too cluttered?
  • Well as someone who spent $350 on my wrap around headband and have ZERO regrets about spending that money, I may not be the best person to comment :)

See, I can total understand that mindset and am struggling to try and achieve the same. I figure this a is a once in a life time moment and there are certain aspects that I should just get it over and done with. If I paid the $300, I would have 85% of my wedding look done (hair and make up still pending) and I could focus my time and energy onto something else...I would also still have the product that I keep thinking about, love, and would love to have. But then another side of me is thinking "Well, that's $300 that could go to another part of the wedding, gifts, alcohol, ect." as well as "$300 for an accessory I wear only one day?"  I mean, I could pass it onto my daughter when she gets married but she's only six and when she gets married those big floppy hats could be the latest rage. Its a really big struggle. -_-

I'll keep looking and see if I can find something. If nothing else comes to mind and if I don't find a product that I can alter, I may just end up getting that insanely beautiful halo. :D I love your delicate bracelet idea. I'm not someone who likes jewelry all that much so to have a nice little trinket to give balance to the look sounds perfect to me! Thank you so much!

I am also not a jewelry fan so that is why I justified spending so much on my head band.  I figured that I wasn't going to spend anything else on accessories (I borrowed my Mom's tennis bracelet) so that meant I could spend a bit more on my hair piece since that was going to be the main accessory I would wear.

But I definitely get the hesitation to spend that much money.  At first I was like "hell no" to spending that much money and started looking at less expensive things, but then I realized that I was just not going to be happy with anything else.  The head band that I bought was what made me buy my dress.  Once that piece was added at my dress shopping appointment it just made the entire look, so I really had no choice but to buy it :)

I am not sure how new the halo is that you love but have you tried to find it used on sale on Ebay? You may be able to find something similar.  I looked on preownedweddingdresses.com for the halo and there is a similar one for sale but the person is asking $400.

I am also not a jewelry fan so that is why I justified spending so much on my head band.  I figured that I wasn't going to spend anything else on accessories (I borrowed my Mom's tennis bracelet) so that meant I could spend a bit more on my hair piece since that was going to be the main accessory I would wear.

But I definitely get the hesitation to spend that much money.  At first I was like "hell no" to spending that much money and started looking at less expensive things, but then I realized that I was just not going to be happy with anything else.  The head band that I bought was what made me buy my dress.  Once that piece was added at my dress shopping appointment it just made the entire look, so I really had no choice but to buy it :)

I am not sure how new the halo is that you love but have you tried to find it used on sale on Ebay? You may be able to find something similar.  I looked on preownedweddingdresses.com for the halo and there is a similar one for sale but the person is asking $400.
    Exactly, I can definitely understand you. Should I get the halo, that's the only jewelry I would wear. My jewelry making friend had stated she wanted to supply my make my necklace and bracelet as her wedding gift to me when she found out I was engaged so the halo would be the only thing I would buy. It is very comforting to hear your scenario because it sounds exactly like the thoughts I have! I'm glad that you were able to get your look exactly the way you wanted. I bet the headband was beautiful! And you too in it. :)

I have looked around for used ones and haven't found the halo I was looking for although there are some used Twigs and Honey halos for sale. I did find an etsy vendor who recreates various head pieces and the desired halo was one of them but she charges a little over $300. I'm still searching around though, I've watched a lot of youtube videos on how to make these types of things and I can kind of see how it is put together...I just don't think I have the time to do so with making all the stuff for the wedding. 
  • Maybe talk to your friend who offered to make you a necklace and bracelet.  Thank her profusely for her offer and then maybe tell her about what you see yourself wearing.  She may be willing to create a headpiece for you in place of a necklace since you aren't planning on wearing one.  Or you could see if she would be willing to make you a headpiece in addition to the necklace and bracelet and that you would pay her for the headpiece.

• Fire Mountain Gems and beads had a downloadable booklet on how to do basic beadind and jewelry making, and also a gallery of projects with 1 page instructions.

Your only investment is 1 or 2 tools, inexpensive pair about $10, for pliers with a very fine point for bending wire, and cutters. For under $20, a 5 piece set with additional crimpers, and tool for attaching findings ( fine chains to go between beads on wire, and clasps and earring hooks, etc.).

300 dollars or even 100 is a lot, for someone who might like beading. That dress is absolutely gorgeous, and clear sparklies is one way to go.

But there is just enough color in that dress that something like tigers eye to contrast your neck and shoulders and set off your dress would be a nice option too.

Also, since that dress is such a romantic style, faceted IOLITE which is violet or lavender and some more orchid or amethyst in color, though it seems unlikely, would be nice too. Antique jewelry from periods when frothy fabrics with ivory, beige, and champagne lace or embroidery was often made of iolite or amethyst or either stone with white or colored pearls. It is a great complementary color.
    The dress does need a solid piece necklace at collarbone length, like the length on the model or a little longer. With an updo, or a bun like cluster of braids just at the back of the neck and smooth above (think ballet, or Gene Tierney), a hair ornament too would be great as well, not too much to have both with classic hair style.

Thank you for the information! I'll definitely check it out and do some research. Thankfully a friend has graciously offered to lend me her tools and any advise or help she can give. There's something beautiful about achieving something with your own efforts though....and ideally I would love that but hey, the only jewelry I've made are friendship bracelets. 

I love everything about your post and it was so beautifully written! I'm glad that others find the dress beautiful, I had a very difficult time with my mother over it so it really makes me happy when others (Whom have seen it) find it beautiful too. The descriptions you used just made me fall in love with it all over again. I do like the ideas for alternative stone options, that was another thing I've been struggling with so  I'll have to take a look into those that you've provided. I do have a question though about the hair....The wedding is not something super formal and its more low key so I was thinking of doing something like this:
    But with bangs since I have a widows peak that's pretty predominate. Would that take away from the dress and make it look too cluttered?

------------------------
    Far from taking away from it, it is as romantic and soft as can be, just the mood of your dress.
    Ornaments or a hair clip with soft tones like honey tiger eye and pearls, maybe a little metal filagree or crystal , would go better than rhinestones shiny bling. Whether a finished piece or your own, the tone of these bead strings. Soft.

Honey tigereye
    http://www.firemountaingems.com/shop/beads--tigereye-beige-cream?itemsperpage=20&sortby=pricehightolow
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards