Chit Chat
Options

Discussion: Texas Boy Suspended over "Power Ring"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-boy-suspended-bringing-ring-power-school-article-1.2099103

I think this is so stupid it hurts.  Why on earth would they suspend a child over using his imagination in play?   And don't get me started on the two previous suspensions of calling someone "black" and bringing a book containing pictures of a pregnant woman to school.

Texas, I'm beginning to think you've lost your damn mind.
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Discussion: Texas Boy Suspended over "Power Ring"

• Options
    What the what?!
  • Options
    This comment by the dad made me lol: “I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend’s existence,” the boy's father later wrote in an email. "If he did, I'm sure he'd bring him right back."

In the movie the ring made Bilbo disappear, so the kid was saying his friends could disappear... What is the problem here? 

Schools are becoming so hyper-vigilant about being super PC and not saying the wrong words that they'd rather suspend a little kid for something stupid than let him stay in class and learn. That's great. 

And suspending him for bringing in a child's encyclopedia? If I were his parents, I would  be raising hell at this point. 
  • Options
    So when do the parents reach the ability to sue for harassment of their child? Seriously, seems like they're picking on this kid. Or perhaps he's just acting like a normal little boy and they don't like normal.

• Options
    The more I think about this the more it really pisses me off.  It is the same as that little kid who ate his poptart into the shape of a gun.  It is beyond ridiculous that kids aren't allowed to use their imagination and that shit like this actually happens.  I mean, can you imagine being the parents of that kid and being told that your child is being suspended because he pretended to use his "power ring" to make his friend "disappear?"  I am pretty sure after I had a good ass laugh I would have exploded on the principal.  How can one even justify this suspension?

I feel bad for parents in today's world because this is the type of bullshit that they have to deal with.  Everyone is so damn sensitive and so easily offended over everything and instead of just telling people to get the fuck over it, we (general we) try to make everyone happy, thus suspending a kid for pretending he has magical powers.

• Options
    I did wonder if there is something missing from the story, but on the surface NOTHING in any of these three situations warrants suspensions of any kind.  

I wonder what the suspension rate is in that school?  If one kid is suspended 3 times in 6 months other kids have to be suspended at some point too.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    I did wonder if there is something missing from the story, but on the surface NOTHING in any of these three situations warrants suspensions of any kind.  

I wonder what the suspension rate is in that school?  If one kid is suspended 3 times in 6 months other kids have to be suspended at some point too.

SIB
    We had a psycho vice principal at my high school who handed out in-school suspensions like they were lollipops. I remember walking in with my friend one morning and he had an orange juice in his hand. Vice principal saw him coming through the doors with it and pounced on him. Could not wait to pounce on him! Said "no food or drinks in the school!" So friend walked a few feet over to the nearest trash can, took one last drink out of the orange juice, and threw it in the trash. The vice principal stomped over, grabbed his arm, and took him to his office to write him up for "insubordination" because he took 1 more drink. Ok? 

Same douche vice principal refused to discipline a kid who threatened my life on a regular basis, screamed anti-Jewish slurs at me on a daily basis, slammed me into lockers so my arms and shoulders were always bruised, threw my textbooks in the trash, etc etc etc and teachers as well as other students kept reporting to Douche that they had personally witnessed all this stuff. Douche still did nothing about it. Then he got fired. But I digress... 
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    I saw this pop up on my Facebook. I seriously thought it was satire at first. When I realized it was a real article, it legitimately made me angry.

Like y'all have mentioned, it is suspensions and punishments that limit kids' imaginations. I mean seriously, pretending you have a powerful ring and can erase your friends existence? It is a game and it is supposed to be fun. 

Limiting children's creativity just creates boring adults.

Etf: words are hard, creativity not creative

• Options
    I used to pretend I was a power ranger. And my friends and I would play at recess that we were the power rangers stopping Zed from taking over the world by using our teachers as pod people. And we would "zap" our teachers with our watches (they were zappers) to save the earth. We might have been crossing over a couple different shows here, we were kids. It was fun. And no one thought we were actually going to harm our teachers. 

This school would've expelled me so fast. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    I used to pretend I was a power ranger. And my friends and I would play at recess that we were the power rangers stopping Zed from taking over the world by using our teachers as pod people. And we would "zap" our teachers with our watches (they were zappers) to save the earth. We might have been crossing over a couple different shows here, we were kids. It was fun. And no one thought we were actually going to harm our teachers. 

Right? We used to pretend we were "falling" down this slide, and we'd all try to climb back up or pull each other up before we hit the ground, cuz the ground was the ocean and it was full of blood-thirsty sharks that were going to eat us. 

If I had been at the school in the OP, I probably would have gotten expelled for threatening the use of a deadly weapon (the imaginary shark). 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

My sister and I would play "store." Well, I would play store. She would rob my store at (toy) gun-point. 

We'd be sitting in the principal's office with you. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

Wait, you aren't?  I assumed you were one.
  • Options
    FUCKING UM. Can we talk about the suspension for bringing a book depicting a preganant woman, please? Kids aren't allowed to see pictures of pregnant women? WHY?
  • Options
    FUCKING UM. Can we talk about the suspension for bringing a book depicting a preganant woman, please? Kids aren't allowed to see pictures of pregnant women? WHY?
    Cause if they see a pregnant lady then they'll try to have sex. That's how that works.
  • Options
    This is ridiculous! I don't even understand. The three things mentioned in the article should not warrant suspension at all and I can't fathom why the school is wasting time and resources on this. I don't even know what to say. 
  • Options

AprilH81 said:

SIB
    We had a psycho vice principal at my high school who handed out in-school suspensions like they were lollipops. I remember walking in with my friend one morning and he had an orange juice in his hand. Vice principal saw him coming through the doors with it and pounced on him. Could not wait to pounce on him! Said "no food or drinks in the school!" So friend walked a few feet over to the nearest trash can, took one last drink out of the orange juice, and threw it in the trash. The vice principal stomped over, grabbed his arm, and took him to his office to write him up for "insubordination" because he took 1 more drink. Ok? 

Same douche vice principal refused to discipline a kid who threatened my life on a regular basis, screamed anti-Jewish slurs at me on a daily basis, slammed me into lockers so my arms and shoulders were always bruised, threw my textbooks in the trash, etc etc etc and teachers as well as other students kept reporting to Douche that they had personally witnessed all this stuff. Douche still did nothing about it. Then he got fired. But I digress... 

Administrators with control issues, and parents groups too.
  • Options
    I was wondering what would happen if a teacher was pregnant. 

Anniversary
  • Options

This pisses me off so much I feel like writing a scathing letter.

Daughter was dealing with a petty tyrant principal like this once, and he tried to intimidate her by saying, "Would you like me to pick up this phone and call your mother? Because I'll be happy to."

She agreed that, yes, he might be happy to make the call, but he'd probably be a lot less happy when he hung up, and really regret the decision. 

(It was over a book censorship issue. They were collecting all copies of Slaughterhouse 5 from the lit class, and she refused to turn her copy in, and was inciting others to refuse. That's my good girl.) 

There is hope for the next generation.

I cannot think of a time when school administrators called our home, or parents at work, when my parents did not prevail, much to the embarrassment of various teachers, principals and assistant principals , department heads and SAU superintendents. 8 kids, you would think that the schools would learn.

Most of these issues they were themselves acting against state board of education or school committee established regulations, some of the time against state and federal laws. Always against common sense.

It never occurred to them that my parents or any others would know relevant laws better than they did, or that people won't accept "because we say so" as justification for arbitrary actions.

They did not seem to realize that there is no better way to foment rebellion among students than to have administration people get proven wrong, over and over , and in a public way.
  • Options
    Grrr... This stuff just pisses me off. I really think that anymore schools are way over stepping their bounds. It's like they (in general) have some kind of agenda to make the kids and their parents lives hell. FYI I'm talking about the school administrations not the teachers.
  • Options
    This comes full circle to last week's issue of parents who guard their children from learning independence and self reliance in the name of protecting them from any imaginable harm.

A brother and sister walking together from a park to home, a lesser distance than most states use as the distance children may walk before a town must supply a bus. And social services and the press turn the family's life upside down, because of a complaint called in by a third party. More stupidity.

Kids need imagination, they should be encouraged to seek information in books, especially reference books, and educational programs should foster, not punish, children doing things normal and necessary to grow to a healthy and self sufficient adulthood.
  • Options
    Yet again my state has shamed me...

And this is yet another reason I will be homeschooling my kids if we stay in this state. I want them to have imaginations and not be fucking punished for it. Plus I want them to learn useful knowledge, not test answers. 
  • Options
    Shit you guys. I would have been expelled. Not only did I play with a replica ring, I also went around yelling Avada Kedavra at people I didn't like.

This is ridiculous. An eight year old is pretending because he found something cool. How does that even translate to suspension-worthy offenses?

I'm with @ohannabelle. I want to write a letter.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    They probably thought it was real. You know, Texas.

(JKJKJKJK)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards