Wedding Etiquette Forum

Should I send my priest a Save the Date?

My priest is marrying us and invited to the reception. Of course our wedding is "on his books" already but I wasn't sure if he should get a save the date since we are inviting him to the reception as well. My dad is friends with another priest from the same church and we are sending him a save the date as well so I didn't know if that would make a difference. Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should I send my priest a Save the Date?

• hicoco said:
    My priest is marrying us and invited to the reception. Of course our wedding is "on his books" already but I wasn't sure if he should get a save the date since we are inviting him to the reception as well. My dad is friends with another priest from the same church and we are sending him a save the date as well so I didn't know if that would make a difference. Thanks!

Why would you not? If you know he's going to be invited to both ceremony and reception, why not? I don't think it'll insult him (i.e. come across as "You probably forgot so here's our date.")

I'm confused about the second priest, actually. You seem to be setting up his situation in contrast to the officiant priest. Do not send a STD to this other priest if you only intend him to come to the ceremony, but if he will also be invited to ceremony and reception, go for it.

• hicoco said:

Why would you not? If you know he's going to be invited to both ceremony and reception, why not? I don't think it'll insult him (i.e. come across as "You probably forgot so here's our date.")

I'm confused about the second priest, actually. You seem to be setting up his situation in contrast to the officiant priest. Do not send a STD to this other priest if you only intend him to come to the ceremony, but if he will also be invited to ceremony and reception, go for it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The first priest is marrying us and will be invited to the reception, so I wasn't sure about the STD for him. The second priest is NOT marrying us, and is just invited as a guest so I knew for sure he needed an STD. You're right though, no harm in sending one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hicoco said:
    hicoco said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The first priest is marrying us and will be invited to the reception, so I wasn't sure about the STD for him. The second priest is NOT marrying us, and is just invited as a guest so I knew for sure he needed an STD. You're right though, no harm in sending one!

Sidebar: Are you having a Catholic wedding, and is it a Mass?

If so: In general, priests aren't supposed to just "attend" Mass, so your priest guest may feel the need to concelebrate. Your officiant priest would still be the one helping you with your vows, giving the homily, etc, but the other priest will likely be up there in vestments the whole time and would concelebrate the Eucharist portion. If it's just a rite of marriage outside Mass, he won't have an issue just being a guest.

• Hmm I didn't know that! That's a good point. Yes, it is a Catholic wedding with a full mass. I guess the 2 of them would probably work that out? I didn't even think about it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hicoco said:
    Hmm I didn't know that! That's a good point. Yes, it is a Catholic wedding with a full mass. I guess the 2 of them would probably work that out? I didn't even think about it!
    Oh yeah, it won't be a big deal. The other priest wouldn't have to be at the rehearsal or anything. They know how to do it. I had 4 priests up on the altar for my wedding and our officiant hadn't met any of them until they showed up to Mass.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards