Attire & Accessories Forum

When Should I get my wedding dress altered?

Hello the knotters! :)

I'm getting married May 23 of this year. My dress fit perfectly except for the bust area, which needs to be taken in just a tad. When should I plan get that done? 

Re: When Should I get my wedding dress altered?

• msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2015
    I'd say to start abou 8-6 weeks out. That way you have time for any other adjustment if they are needed. When I took mine in I had a fitting about every 2 weeks until it was done (but I made a lot of changes).
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I need to have mine altered as well and the shop where I bought it recommended I go about 8 weeks before my wedding.
  • I got mine for 6ish weeks prior. Just in case, I'd wait a little while. 
  • I think 6-8 weeks is the norm.  Unless you are having a lot of major changes, and then you may consider doing it earlier.  Your seamstress should be able to help you with a time frame.
  • I'm at 10 weeks out, and mine is at the seamstress now.  I go back in tomorrow for my first fitting since she brought the bodice in. 

• My appointment is 9 weeks out. When I picked up my gown and tried it on, the alterations lady popped in. It just needs the hem, bustle added, and maybe taken in a bit at the bust (didn't have on the official undergarments, so with those I may not need it). She suggested the 9 weeks so that way they have 4-5 to get it done, but there would still be time for one last emergency alteration if needed at the next fitting. If not, the dress will be all pressed and ready to go for 2 weeks.

I felt comfortable with her opinion so am sticking with it. I had always thought you had to have a million fittings, but reality with my dress and how it fit when it came in, that just isn't true.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards