Not Engaged Yet
Options

Toothbrush Holder

FI and I have switched our toothbrush holder a few times-- from a cup, something like:

to one that is more open on the bottom Something like:
It always develops that nasty gunk on the bottom from the wet toothbrushes. What kind of toothbrush holder do you guys use?? Is there a shape that doesn't seem to get nasty as quickly? I'd love to find one that we don't need to wipe out every single day so it doesn't get gross. Because FI and I have proven over the last 3 years that we totally fail when it comes to wiping it.

Re: Toothbrush Holder

• Options
    I have an electric toothbrush, so it gets put back in it's charging station. FI's toothbrush is in a holder just like your second one. Before we moved, he had one like your first one, and I was SO DISGUSTED when I saw the gunk in the bottom. Which is why I made him get the second type for this bathroom. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    My toothbrush holder looks like your 2nd one... but it's a tree and was part of a jungle theme set.  I wanted an open bottom that I could clean out (because of the gunk at the bottom).

Anniversary
  • Options
    We've used both styles, and I prefer the open one. Even though gunk builds up, it's not as bad as mold that builds up and can't be seen in the cup style.

• Options
    I have an open one in my bathroom, H just uses a cup and every so often cleans it out or so I hope...

Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah, they're both disgusting, but seeing the buildup in the open one encourages more frequent cleanings. STILL. it's gross. And if someone has a magic tooth brush holder that isn't as disgusting, then I want to know about it!
  • Options
    I second @TwoDimes at throwing them in the dishwasher. It's the easiest way to get them clean.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    We have an electric toothbrush stand but I also have a cup-style holder for the free toothbrushes I get from the dentist and like floss picks and stuff. The lid comes off of it and I just toss it in the dishwasher every once in awhile. I guess since we don't use it frequently it takes awhile for gunk to start to build up in there.

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    YES. to dishwasher. We do that. Just not as often as we obviously should. Have I mentioned my dad is a dentist? A dentist who definitively has untreated OCD? (I say this with some amount of certaintly. I WAS treated for mild OCD. the man is way worse than I was. ) I'm weirdly aware of my toothbrush and it's little home and all the GERMS EVERYWHERE.
  • Options
    @twodimes - that's a great idea - I just didn't want the drawer to get icky.

Anniversary
  • Options
    This thread spurred me to look for something for our toothbrush heads, and I found this.  (Click)

What about using that with a thing over the top of the toothbrush to keep out germs if that's an issue, and keep grossness to a minimum?
    I french with my man
  • Options
    @peekaboo2011 YES. Good Idea. Come to think of it, that's basically what my parent's use, except theirs are ugly white plastic. The one you found is much more appealing.  My parent's don't cover up their toothbrushes...  dad has often said the toothbrush really needs to be able to dry out, so it doesn't trap and keep all that nasty mouth germs. I'll ask him about wet/ mouth germ buildup vs. airborne toilet germs soon....
  • Options
    lilacck28 said:
    I would go for the steripod and the hanger.  It would keep them sanitized, plus you won't have a gigantic pool of whatever the hell that gunk is.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    Mine sits on the bottom shelf of my medicine cabinet, so I can close the door and keep it 'protected'. SO leaves his on the counter lol. Just, sitting there.
  • Options
    I have one similar to the second one posted, but it also gets gunk in the bottom of it from time to time. We clean it as often as possible, but probably not often enough. I got it from Bed Bath and Beyond, and it's relatively easy to clean. I definitely like the drawer suggestion too, but we don't have any in our current bathroom :(

• Options
    I have this one from Target except clear. It's pretty similar to the second one you posted. I got it so I could see the gunk too! It's so disgusting. I definitely don't clean ours as often as I should either.

Threshold Seed Glass Bath Coordinates

• Options
    lilacck28 said:
    @peekaboo2011 YES. Good Idea. Come to think of it, that's basically what my parent's use, except theirs are ugly white plastic. The one you found is much more appealing.  My parent's don't cover up their toothbrushes...  dad has often said the toothbrush really needs to be able to dry out, so it doesn't trap and keep all that nasty mouth germs. I'll ask him about wet/ mouth germ buildup vs. airborne toilet germs soon....
    I ordered it yesterday, and it'll be here tomorrow.  I'll take a picture and post it on Monday, so you can see it if you haven't ordered it yet.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    I have one of THESE, and love it because there isn't any gunk. I am going to be getting THIS one for the new house because even though I love the metal one, I want one that covers the bristles. 
  • Options
    I dry mine on my towel then put it in a drawer. I don't like them out on the counter. I also don't want the drawer to get gross. So patting it dry then putting it away works best for us.
  • Options
    @Speakeasy14, that is excellent to know.  I'm excited to get it tomorrow and clean the gunk off of the built in toothbrush holder that doesn't actually hold toothbrushes.  

I side-eye whoever the hell put that in.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    @Speakeasy14, that is excellent to know.  I'm excited to get it tomorrow and clean the gunk off of the built in toothbrush holder that doesn't actually hold toothbrushes.  

Ugh I keeping getting SITB -- But I wonder what they used it for if it doesn't hold toothbrushes.
  • Options

Ugh I keeping getting SITB -- But I wonder what they used it for if it doesn't hold toothbrushes.
    I think it held toothbrushes in the 80s, when the building was built and toothbrushes were not fancy.
    I french with my man
  • Options

I think it held toothbrushes in the 80s, when the building was built and toothbrushes were not fancy.
    That makes sense, but yeah, still side eye.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards