Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Vermont Winter Elopement

My fiance and I are interested in eloping in Vermont in the winter. I would be willing to freeze outside for pictures/a unique ceremony, but more realistically what we want is a small venue with a beautiful view - so we feel like we're outside. I'm having a really hard time finding someplace. The small elopement packages at many inns don't offer a space with a beautiful view and the bigger places (ski lodges, for example) are geared toward summer weddings. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Re: Vermont Winter Elopement

• edited February 2015
    Have you tried looking outside of places offering wedding packages? If it's a true elopement with just you and the officiant (and evidently, a photographer) I wonder if you could just call a place and ask if you could have your short ceremony in their window (along with eating there/staying there/whatever).

You won't get many specific local suggestions here since this is an international board.

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    My fiance and I are interested in eloping in Vermont in the winter. I would be willing to freeze outside for pictures/a unique ceremony, but more realistically what we want is a small venue with a beautiful view - so we feel like we're outside. I'm having a really hard time finding someplace. The small elopement packages at many inns don't offer a space with a beautiful view and the bigger places (ski lodges, for example) are geared toward summer weddings. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!
    I'm confused about what you're actually trying to plan. 

If you're eloping, you can take your FI and officiant and get married probably pretty much anywhere. Just find a space you like and ask them if you can get married right there. Elopements = no guests, so that simplifies a lot of things. 

And, as Lolo said, this is an international board. If you post this on your local board you'll probably get better results about venues that are actually in your area. 
  • Hi Lolo,
    I'm looking at all kinds of places - those that offer wedding packages and those that don't.  You have a great point about just calling someplace.  My problem is, since it's a destination wedding for me, many places don't have good photos on their websites.  So the point of my asking was if anyone knew of someplace/had been somewhere.  Same reason I have it posted on the international forum - I've read a lot of people, domestic and international, who have made Vermont a destination wedding.  Thanks!
  • I commented on a similar post (it might have been your's, in OffBeat Weddings). Here is my comment. 

I don't know where in Vermont you are looking but I know that there is an inn that has a beautiful barn and they do weddings all year round. 

West Mountain Inn
    Arlington Vermont

It is a smaller (the barn can do larger weddings tho) place. The Inn has a smaller reception site inside. And I know there is a hill to go up and from what I can recall there is a view. I am not sure how much of one but I feel like I saw outside pictures of a different wedding there that had a beautiful backdrop.

It is located in Southern Vermont, about 20 minutes from the NY border.

Also, check out Four Chimmney's Inn in Bennington Vermont. They do wedding packages and such. I have never been there so I am not sure about the views but the area is beautiful! Bennington is also located in Southern Vermont. It is about 20 minutes south of Arlington.
    11/21/2012 - Chapter 1: The Text
    10/23/2014 - Chapter 2: The Proposal
    11/21/2015 - Chapter 3: The Wedding

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Where are you from and are you set on Vermont specifically? I think you should switch it up and do it at the famous Nubble Light House in Maine. The lighthouse is seen in almost every postcard of Maine. It's on an island so you can't actually go there but the "park" right across from the island has a parking lot with free entrance and an up-close view. You could literally just take an officiant and stand at any location in the park and have the most amazing background. It can be busy in summer, but we just went up there in December and it was not crowded at all, there were maybe 8 other people there taking pictures, and there's plenty of room that they wouldn't be all over you or in your pictures. There are several Inn's closeby where you could stay. We stayed at the Gazebo Inn in Ogunquit and it was fabulous.

this pic is not me, I found it on google

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards