Chit Chat

Did you try your dress on a bunch?

I picked my dress up in October, and it's been hanging in the office closet ever since. I haven't even peeked at it. No idea why, but I've just had no interest in it and I usually forget it's even there. The bridal shop owner advised me to try it on as much as possible to try to "break in" the lace top, because the lace is kind of stiff and scratchy right now. But with our tiny house and the office being crammed full of wedding supplies and FI almost always being here... meh. Just never felt like taking the dress out.

Well yesterday I was bored and decided to practice my wedding make-up. While I was at it, I decided to also practice my hair. Then I decided to try out my hair pins. Then my earrings. Then my shoes. Then suddenly I really wanted to put my dress on, so I locked the door, shoved some boxes aside, and pulled that huge thing out of its bag.

The mirror in the office sucks so I didn't get the best look at it, but I loved having it on. It made me really excited to start my fittings and then to have FI see me in it (in less than 3 months!!!). Now I keep thinking about it and I want to try it on more lol but I will restrain myself because I'm also really worried it could end up getting a tear or a spot or something.

For those of you also keeping your dress in your house (or you did before your wedding), do you forget about it, or do you try it on? Did you want to put it on all the time?

Re: Did you try your dress on a bunch?

• edited February 2015
    I didn't bring my dress home before the wedding because I knew I couldn't be trusted with it! The bridal salon stored it for me and my dad picked it up the day before the wedding and brought it to the hotel for me.

• I didn't have my dress in my possession for very long. Once it came in, my MIL kept it for 3 weeks before I started my fittings. Then the bridal shop had it until 2 days before my wedding. So no, I never tried it on myself.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Nope. The only time I tried it on was at my fitting 3 months before the wedding.   It wasn't in my possession anyway.  It was 1500 miles away at my sister's.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I got mine a day or 2 before we left.  Never tried it on before.  Maybe cos it was a lace up in the back, or cos DH was around, or we were just too busy.  

• I was originally going to keep it at my parents' house just so FI wasn't tempted to peek at it, and because they have way more space than I do. But my sister goes to their house a lot, so...

And that's not even me being paranoid, because she and her friend put a "photo shoot" they did on facebook once, and I started scrolling through. They tried to be super artistic with it, so this girl I didn't even know was sitting in beautiful dresses in the dirt in a cornfield. The dresses caught my eye right away and realized I recognized them... because they were my prom dresses and another dress I had for special occasions. Needless to say my sister hadn't even asked if she and her friend could take them. The prom dresses got returned, very damaged, and the other special dress? Never saw it again. To this day I have no idea what happened to it.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Excuse me, ma'am, but you're going to post all that detail and no pictures? For shame! ;) 

I bought my dress in... uh... October? Maybe late September. I know it was right before we got engaged but I knew he had the ring and was planning the proposal, so whateva. I've tried it on once or twice since then -- once right after I got it, and once last week or so (with my shoes and earrings and potential makeup). 
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    esstee33 said:
    Excuse me, ma'am, but you're going to post all that detail and no pictures? For shame! ;) 

I bought my dress in... uh... October? Maybe late September. I know it was right before we got engaged but I knew he had the ring and was planning the proposal, so whateva. I've tried it on once or twice since then -- once right after I got it, and once last week or so (with my shoes and earrings and potential makeup). 
    lol I knew someone would bring that up! I didn't even think to take any pictures. But I asked FI if he could borrow one of the really nice cameras from his work (they're pretty lenient about who can use them and why, so FI has borrowed one before just to take photos of a project he was doing at home)

I'm gonna practice my make-up again next Saturday just for fun, because we're going out for Valentine's day, so I wanted to try to get some good pictures so I can look at how it photographs and critique it (I'm neurotic like that). If that pans out, I will share a photo!
  • I had my ceremony dress in my closet for over a year before my wedding. I put it on once for my mom/sisters (I ordered 2 sizes and needed to figure out which one fit better), once to take pictures of it to send my friend, once for another friend of mine, and twice at the seamstress (before and after alterations). Before I had it altered, it mostly sat balled up in the bottom of my closet in the box it was shipped in. I had zero interest in it and knew the more I handled it, the more likely the beading was to catch something and break. The other dresses were put on once each before the wedding to make sure they fit, and that's it.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I had in in my closet for about a month before the wedding and didn't try it on once. I did peek at a it a lot (and managed to get the very delicate shell stuck in the garment bag zipper during one of said peeks…which caused a mini heart attack), but I didn't actually try it on again until wedding day. Post wedding, I haven't put it on again either. It's currently hanging in it's bag (very in need of being cleaned) in my basement. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am going to keep mine at my moms house so I don't try it on all the time! The people at my bridal salon said that I should not try it on by myself because they have so many brides that come in with a ripped dress because they accidentally stepped on it or a pet jumped on them. That scared me enough to not want to ruin it!  
  • My dress is staying at the salon (wedding is a year and a half away and my house is a mess), but they said I can come in anytime to try it on with accessories and shoes I find, as often as I like. I'm planning on bringing family that want to come and see it on, like my SIL's and friends randomly. I tend to show my dress to anyone that shows any bit of interest in it. 

FI likes to show my ring off to anyone. We were hanging with his best friend and his FWB girl friend, and she was saying aww to our proposal and FI grabbed my hand and showed her the ring. He's so proud of it, even though I chose it. It's his precious ring and it's really cute how he acts about it. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • I had in in my closet for about a month before the wedding and didn't try it on once. I did peek at a it a lot (and managed to get the very delicate shell stuck in the garment bag zipper during one of said peeks…which caused a mini heart attack), but I didn't actually try it on again until wedding day. Post wedding, I haven't put it on again either. It's currently hanging in it's bag (very in need of being cleaned) in my basement. 
    Ugh same here. I really need to get it cleaned. And the ripped lace fixed. I'm sure there's a lot of white wine spilled on it too. Blah.

• MadHops21 said:
    My dress is staying at the salon (wedding is a year and a half away and my house is a mess), but they said I can come in anytime to try it on with accessories and shoes I find, as often as I like. I'm planning on bringing family that want to come and see it on, like my SIL's and friends randomly. I tend to show my dress to anyone that shows any bit of interest in it. 

FI likes to show my ring off to anyone. We were hanging with his best friend and his FWB girl friend, and she was saying aww to our proposal and FI grabbed my hand and showed her the ring. He's so proud of it, even though I chose it. It's his precious ring and it's really cute how he acts about it. 
    lol every so often FI asks me to hold my hand up so he can look at my ering. I think it's really cute.
  • Mine has been abandoned at the bridal shop lol I honestly even forget that it's there. But I'm excited to put it on in a week for my first fitting. I'm hoping that the shape wear I bought works with the dress. I keep having visions that I'm going to be a fat bride. Which I am fat, lol, but I know I don't have to look like it. If that makes sense.

• MadHops21 said:
    My dress is staying at the salon (wedding is a year and a half away and my house is a mess), but they said I can come in anytime to try it on with accessories and shoes I find, as often as I like. I'm planning on bringing family that want to come and see it on, like my SIL's and friends randomly. I tend to show my dress to anyone that shows any bit of interest in it. 

It was funny, about a week ago my ring was still out being sized. FI announces to a bartender we are friendly with "She got engaged". He grabbed my hand and I made my sad face at him, cause no ring. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MadHops21 said:

It was funny, about a week ago my ring was still out being sized. FI announces to a bartender we are friendly with "She got engaged". He grabbed my hand and I made my sad face at him, cause no ring. 
    That is way too cute. I always feel naked without my ring on. I hope you have it back by now, hate that empty feeling! 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • I try mine on probably once a month and prance around in my shoes. It makes me feel better when I've had a bad day... totally like the Friends episode.
  • I don't have mine yet, but I REALLY REALLY WANT TO DO THIS.
    I try mine on probably once a month and prance around in my shoes. It makes me feel better when I've had a bad day... totally like the Friends episode.

• Mine's a corset back, so I can't try it on myself and FI doesn't want to see it until the wedding.  :(  I've gotten to try it on a couple of times at the seamstress' though, and I will again next Thursday - squee!  I think that will be the last time tho before the wedding.

• Mines at Nana's house I tried it on when I bought it. Other than that I tried it on once while my aunt , Nana and mom were at my Nana's house because will had finally bought shoes and veil, and hair comb. I needed to show them and Nana had offered to do the alterations but once we saw how much it needed taken in, we all agreed it would be better to take it to a professional seamstress.

I haven't tried it on since. Im terrified of something happening to it every time I try it on Especially because its So big.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I put it on a few times. It was so puffy and fun!

DH was really good about taking my dress to the dry-cleaner's shortly after we got home from the HM, and as soon as I got it home I took it to the UPS store to ship it off to the charity so that I could get back our donation slip before the end of the year.

I was a little sad about shipping it off so quickly, but I know that it would have been a waste to have kept it around.
  • I tried mine on a lot. I went through weird moments where I hated my dress but once it was on me I loved it. I also wanted to try it with jewellery and shoes once I had them. I haven't put it on since the wedding but I also want to pull a Friends moment and just chill in it.

I'm flying to go MOH dress shopping with my bff next week and bringing my veil for her to try on to see if it works with her dress. I can't wait to see it! I'd love to hang out in them together a la Friends after he wedding. But not so much that I'd fly my dress across the country for that :wink:
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Nope. Mine was kept at the salon so I didn't get it until 2 nights before the wedding. 
    Same as @lolo883- wedding was Sept and have not gotten it cleaned or anything yet. The $250 cleaning/ preservation fee makes me ragey but I will eventually get to it! 

• I try mine on about once a week right now to see if it fits the way I want yet, haha. I put the shoes on and twirl around a bit for FI and our roommate too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    I put mine on as soon as I got it. It was a corset back, so my MOH came over (with her wedding dress - she'd saved it), and we helped each other into them. Then we jumped on my bed and acted like little kids.

I was paranoid about getting something on it, so we didn't eat or drink, but we totally did the pretty princess thing for an afternoon. We twirled, danced, etc.

The day of my wedding, we started jumping on the hotel bed after we got dressed. My mom walked in and yelled at us. :) To be fair, it would have sucked if I'd broken my ankle right before my wedding, but it was worth it. The photographer got some pretty silly shots.
  • I put mine on as soon as I got it. It was a corset back, so my MOH came over (with her wedding dress - she'd saved it), and we helped each other into them. Then we jumped on my bed and acted like little kids.

I was paranoid about getting something on it, so we didn't eat or drink, but we totally did the pretty princess thing for an afternoon. We twirled, danced, etc.

The day of my wedding, we started jumping on the hotel bed after we got dressed. My mom walked in and yelled at us. :) To be fair, it would have sucked if I'd broken my ankle right before my wedding, but it was worth it. The photographer got some pretty silly shots.
    Now I want to jump on a bed in my dress that I don't have.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I never tried mine on. I basically took it out of the hanging bag when it first arrived to make sure it was the right dress and threw it in the closet.

We were going to H's sister's house the day of my first fitting, so I brought it with us. But I just threw it into a duffle bag and tossed it in the back seat. His mom was there when I bought it, but his sister's hadn't seen it yet. Imagine the look of horror on their faces when I pulled it out of a duffle bag to show them....

Then my MIL asked me if I wore it around the house all the time. She seemed shocked when I said I hadn't looked at it. 

But honestly, do people really wear their dresses around the house? I would be so terrified of spilling something on it....
  • My dress stayed at my mom's. The only times I put it on were for alterations really. I loved my dress but it wasn't the most comfortable thing! Haha. I did like to go back and look at pictures though.

• I had my dress at my house from September until June (with a few weeks of not having it for alterations right before the wedding).  I tried it on a few times - always when I was home alone.  At first just when I got my undergarments for under the dress - I bought a couple of different options and wanted to figure out which ones worked best with it and were the most comfortable so I could return the others. And when I got my shoes, because I couldn't resist. I also tried it on once or twice to make sure it still fit, since I gained a couple of pounds over Christmas and wanted to see how much work I had to do to keep myself in the dress (5 pounds fortunately didn't make too much of a difference and I didn't have to kill myself exercising. 

H and I lived together, and I didn't want him to see the dress before the wedding, so it was hidden away pretty well and a pain to get out.  Otherwise, I probably would have tried it on more often.  I love that dress.  I'm honestly a little surprised I haven't put it on again since the wedding.
  • For sure, I tried on my dress a bunch. I had mine a good 1.5 years before the wedding so I had to keep reminding myself it was awesome. Otherwise I might have run out and bought another dress. 
    And naturally, I had to try it on with shoes, jewelry, etc.  

I never sat in it though. I was freaked that I'd rip out some beads or something. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards