Chit Chat

You guys...

I've been afraid to post this because I know Alabama's got a pretty shitty reputation, and I know that we're not doing it right by any means. 

But guys - gay marriage is legal here, as of today. All but four counties (per my latest info) are issuing licenses to whomever applies, regardless of the gender of the applicants. Many of them seem to be choosing not to actually perform ceremonies, but there's only four counties completely refusing to issue to anyone, and there are ministers available at some of the Courthouses to wed those who receive their licenses. 

Like I said, it's not being done right, and we're having to be forced, and I *know* it's not being executed properly (or at all, in direct disobedience to a federal Order) but I gotta be hopeful. 
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: You guys...

• I feel like we're whispering about this. Like don't talk too loudly...they might stop.

But awesome anyways, every tiny little step helps.
  • I feel like we're whispering about this. Like don't talk too loudly...they might stop.

But awesome anyways, every tiny little step helps.
    It's ridiculous, but I do kind of feel like if I say it too loud, all the Judges will run away from their desks and quit signing licenses. I want to dance and be excited, but I know the reputation we have, and I know the horrible things we've done, so I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop. 

Plus I know that as of this morning, AFTER the Supreme Court refused to extend the stay, our Famous Asscrown of a Chief Justice was encouraging direct disobedience of the Order. I'm thankful that only four counties are doing it.
  • I've been afraid to post this because I know Alabama's got a pretty shitty reputation, and I know that we're not doing it right by any means. 

But guys - gay marriage is legal here, as of today. All but four counties (per my latest info) are issuing licenses to whomever applies, regardless of the gender of the applicants. Many of them seem to be choosing not to actually perform ceremonies, but there's only four counties completely refusing to issue to anyone, and there are ministers available at some of the Courthouses to wed those who receive their licenses. 

Like I said, it's not being done right, and we're having to be forced, and I *know* it's not being executed properly (or at all, in direct disobedience to a federal Order) but I gotta be hopeful. 
    The bolded will complicate things. In Alabama, the only way you can get someone to officiate your wedding outside of having it done by a church is by one of their judges.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Good for them! I'm looking forward to the SCOTUS ruling on this so there there's no question. I'm optimistic about it.
    *********************************************************************************

• At least it's a move in the right direction... 

We'll be telling our kids/grandkids about this some day; the long nasty fight to finally get REAL equal rights for gay couples. Just like my mom used to tell me how when she was a kid she got to see marriage between interracial couples finally become legal ("Really mom? It used to not be legal!? How stupid and gross!" "I know, a lot has changed, thank God.") 
  • I'm from Bama as well, & I'm really excited we're finally taking steps in the right direction.It's about damn time.

That dumb ass Judge Roy Moore guys is fucking things up though (or trying to at least). Of course, there always seems to be some homophobic, bigot asshole. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• beethery said:

I've been afraid to post this because I know Alabama's got a pretty shitty reputation, and I know that we're not doing it right by any means. 

The bolded will complicate things. In Alabama, the only way you can get someone to officiate your wedding outside of having it done by a church is by one of their judges.

Box

The good news is that it doesn't have to be an active, sitting Probate Judge. Any judge, state, probate, or federal, active or retired, can perform a marriage ceremony.

And I know in Huntsville and in Birmingham, at least, there are people outside the Probate Courts performing legal, binding ceremonies for those who have licenses. So there ARE people willing and legally able to perform them here. I'm cautiously optimistic for our county too; I know a few of the judges here and I like to think they'd be willing.
  • khugs15 said:

I'm from Bama as well, & I'm really excited we're finally taking steps in the right direction.It's about damn time.

That dumb ass Judge Roy Moore guys is fucking things up though (or trying to at least). Of course, there always seems to be some homophobic, bigot asshole. 

He is 100% the reason I'm worried. I don't know why he is allowed to be on the bench again. He went in direct contradiction of a federal order while I was in high school and somehow was allowed to run for the same office again less than ten years later AND WON.
  • Does Alabama not have JOP?

• Does Alabama not have JOP?
    Nope. We do marriage licenses through Probate, and the Probate Judges are allowed to perform marriages. That's our equivalent. I'm a little less hopeful based on what little I've had time to read. Apparently a total of 44 counties out of 67 are refusing. Hopefully Roy Moore will get disbarred after this second blatant refusal to follow federal Orders.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards