Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Shower...I'm So Upset

I just got the invitation for two people whom I truly love's co-ed wedding shower. It's a fully hosted backyard barbecue. Sounds like fun, right? At the bottom of the invite, it says, "The Bride and Groom are remodeling their kitchen, and so they request gift cards." Why? Oh God, why?

Re: Wedding Shower...I'm So Upset

• Options
    Ugh...requesting cash or gift cards for a shower is one of the things that will make me rsvp no. Showers are for physical gifts, it's just tacky as hell to throw one and expect cash/gift cards. If you have no need for items off a registry, then just don't have a shower.

• Options
    StarHex said:
    I just got the invitation for two people whom I truly love's co-ed wedding shower. It's a fully hosted backyard barbecue. Sounds like fun, right? At the bottom of the invite, it says, "The Bride and Groom are remodeling their kitchen, and so they request gift cards." Why? Oh God, why?
    I'd either decline or buy them something to use for the kitchen.  
  • Options
    Ugh, of course they included that in small font at the bottom of the invitation. Don't they realize how awkward and boring the shower will be without any gifts to open?
  • Options
    500days said:
    Ugh, of course they included that in small font at the bottom of the invitation. Don't they realize how awkward and boring the shower will be without any gifts to open?

hopefully they treat it as more of a "hey friends let's hang out" than what we normally think of with a typical shower and half of the time is spent on gift giving.  But then again they asked for specific items on the invite so maybe not

• Options
    I went to a wedding once where the bride & groom mainly registered for gift cards. They had a house and all the small stuff already, the things they really needed were like appliances & lawn mower, etc which they new was too much to ask for from any one person so they registered for gift cards that they could use towards the big ticket items they needed. Granted it wasn't put on their invites, I had asked if they were registered anywhere and that is what the bride told me.
  • Options
    Ughhh why is this a thing? My mom and I were just talking about the shower my MOH is throwing me and she told me "Girl-from-our-church just had a GIFT CARD SHOWER! How tacky is that?" Usually my mom is clueless on the etiquette, and even SHE knew like this was completely rude and off-putting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    They could have registered for Home Depot stuff and called it a day. 

Just out of curiosity, as I tackle my own bathroom remodel, is their kitchen horribly outdated and in dire need of a gut rehab, or are they doing it to catch up with the Joneses?  To be honest, that would color my opinion of how this goes. 

If you are stuck in a 100 year old home with pink formica countertops, hell yes I will give you money to help you remodel. (Pink formica = true story, by the way.)

• Options

Just out of curiosity, as I tackle my own bathroom remodel, is their kitchen horribly outdated and in dire need of a gut rehab, or are they doing it to catch up with the Joneses?  To be honest, that would color my opinion of how this goes. 

If you are stuck in a 100 year old home with pink formica countertops, hell yes I will give you money to help you remodel. (Pink formica = true story, by the way.)
    While I agree in theory, there are ways to go about letting guests know that without resorting to having a shower begging for money.
  • Options
    redoryx said:

While I agree in theory, there are ways to go about letting guests know that without resorting to having a shower begging for money.
    Yes, agreed :) 

• Options
    msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2015

My friend had a shower and she was also remodeling her house. She registered at Home Depot, and most just gave her a gift card. Not sure how much fun faucets and cabinet knobs would be to open anyway.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options

My friend had a shower and she was also remodeling her house. She registered at Home Depot, and most just gave her a gift card. Not sure how much fun faucets and cabinet knobs would be to open anyway.

Actually I think it'd be really fun. But I just replaced a kitchen faucet myself. It's so pretty. If someone would buy me nicer knobs than I can afford on my own, I'd be thrilled. 

• Options
    StarHex said:
    I'm wondering if the bride and groom actually requested this or if the host just took some liberty and said that since they know that the couple is in the middle of a remodel.

• Options
    edited February 2015

StarHex said:
    I'm wondering if the bride and groom actually requested this or if the host just took some liberty and said that since they know that the couple is in the middle of a remodel.
    Agreed!  When my cousin's wife had her shower, the host put a money request on the invite.  I thought it was totally rude, but I didn't hold it against the bride.   She's not the one planning the shower and it's possible she didn't even know about it.   I got her something on her registry instead.    It's rude, but not worth declining the invite.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    It's a shame you already crocheted that rainbow afghan for them.
    Haha! I wish someone would crochet ME a rainbow afghan...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    I think you should buy them a tub of grout.
    Screw that. Get them caulk! A big ass think tube of caulk. Caulk is fun for the bride & groom! Caulk, caulk, caulk!!!!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    I think you should buy them a tub of grout.
    Screw that. Get them caulk! A big ass think tube of caulk. Caulk is fun for the bride & groom! Caulk, caulk, caulk!!!!
    I love caulk! ;)

Our kitchen is the last on the remodel list.  I would totally register for a faucet and new cabinet knobs.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    The kitchen remodel is because they want a different kitchen, not because they desperately need one. If they had registered at Home Depot or Lowe's, cool. The point of a shower is to *open gifts*. My fiancé asked, "Are they going to open each gift card and announce how much money that person spent on them??"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards