Chit Chat

Volume!

But NOT this: 

More like this: 

What are your best tips and tricks to add volume? 

I've tried a root-lifting foam, blow-drying with my head flipped upside down, clip-in extensions, and teasing the roots. Usually my hair flattens back out pretty quick, which is weird because I have thick hair. 

I want to play with it this weekend since we're going out for Valentine's Day and I usually don't have the time or patience to bother with my hair. So any advice will be appreciated! TIA! 

Re: Volume!

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Don't wash your hair as much.You get used to it and your hair eventually becomes less nasty. OMG I have the finest bone straight hair and it looks amazing now that I wash it every 2-3 days. 

You could try flipping your hair upside down spraying it with hairspray and letting it dry before flipping back up. I do that when I curl my hair, and it's usually a mess but it's a good mess.

Less hairspray is more.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have the world's flattest hair and it drives me up the wall. I use a round brush and lift my roots up with it, then blow dry it. This adds a bit of volume. 

I saw on Pinterest girls lifting their hair up, then flat ironing the roots for more volume. I haven't tried it yet, but I have super straight flat hair, so I don't know how a flat iron would make it better. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Velcro rollers. The size depends on the length of your hair but usually about 1" to 1 1/2" is good. Roll them up when your hair is almost dry, then blow dry. Let your hair cool and take them out. Once you do that, you can style how you want to or just spray with some light hairspray.

• The big thing for me is not using conditioner when I want volume. I have noticed that no matter what kind I use or how little I use, conditioner makes my hair sleeker and has way less volume than when I don't. Plus, the other tricks you mentioned work a lot better when I don't condition that day.
  • I have no volume ever. Nothing works. 
  • I have no volume ever. Nothing works. 
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • I use nexus hydra light root lift spray in the blue bottle.  You can find this at any drugstore, and I spray it in my roots when my hair is wet, and blow dry my hair upside down.  When my hair is about 90% dry, I turn the cool setting on on my blow dryer and dry the rest of my hair on cool.  Then I use velcro rollers in my crown and leave those in while I do my makeup or something.  That gives good natural volume.

Want more?  Tease the crown and the sides with a teasing brush, and then lightly run a brush thru the teased parts to even out the bumps.

More?  Tease the crown and sides, spray with a light hold hairspray and fold the hair that was teased over a hot curling iron for a few seconds.  When done with that process lightly brush out the teasing bumps.

I have fine hair, I have to get creative. ;)

• No help. I was born with enormous hair. I'm constantly seeking ways to thin and sleek-ify it.

• No help. I was born with enormous hair. I'm constantly seeking ways to thin and sleek-ify it.
    I hate you a little bit. 
  • Powder puff from Kevin Murphy or Wool Shake by Redken are my volume favorites.

Powder puff: Put a dusting in your hand or directly on the roots. I prefer to have day old hair for this. Then use your hands to make bigger, if you don't want HUGE hair. If you want huge hair, backcomb it into submission, my personal favorite.

WoolShake: It's a texture/slush thing. So first, you have to shake it really well. Then spray directly to roots. Not too much though as it is a liquid. Then backcomb. 

Those are my two favorite things. Also, blow drying upside down and root volumizing mousse works as well. 

• edited June 2015
    I hate you a little bit. 
    I'll trade you. Hair for boobs.

• I just spent the past week with my hair stylist sister. Some things I noted she did for volume:

-Take mousse and use it at the base of the hair; right at the scalp. 
    -Use a round brush and lift the hair up when blow drying (helps if you have one of those > things you add the end of the blowdryer to get the air where you want it.
    -When you tease, most people don't tease enough. She started from the front, and in 1/2" sections teased the front and back of the section, sprayed with Freeze It hairspray, and went all the way past the crown of my head. Then she took a section on either side of my head and teased that so it wasn't just a big poof right ton top of my head. She didn't brush it or combed any out, just used her fingers to fluff it and smooth out any parts.

imageimage

I hate you a little bit. 
    I'll trade you. Hair for boobs.
    Done! I don't think FI will love that trade, but tough balls. 
  • Wait, what's wrong with the first picture? 

Just kidding.

My hair is straight and flat.  But a couple things help when I actually have the time to do them. I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lemon Sage Thickening Spray on my roots.  Blow drying it with a nice round brush section by section also helps a lot.  Once the hair is dry, you can also blow dry it with the "cool" setting for a few seconds to help seal the cuticle.  I do blow dry my hair upside down sometimes, but the problem is that my hair is so fine I get terrible fly aways as a result.  Boo.  

^^^Me. 

I've learned that my hair can't even be in the same room with a going hair dryer unless I either have time to round-brush and straighten it, or I have a lion costume to match the mane.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • levioosa said:
    Wait, what's wrong with the first picture? 

Just kidding.

My hair is straight and flat.  But a couple things help when I actually have the time to do them. I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lemon Sage Thickening Spray on my roots.  Blow drying it with a nice round brush section by section also helps a lot.  Once the hair is dry, you can also blow dry it with the "cool" setting for a few seconds to help seal the cuticle.  I do blow dry my hair upside down sometimes, but the problem is that my hair is so fine I get terrible fly aways as a result.  Boo.  
    Double post and I'm sorry and also soooo off topic but:

I LOVE THIS LINE. My brother gave me the body wash and the lotion in a little gift set for Christmas. I don't have any more of the body wash, but I keep the lotion in my desk drawer. It smells fantastic and it kind of gives me a little bit of pep to get me through another couple of hours. I don't use the thickening spray so I can't comment on its effectiveness, but the stuff I have used is my favorite ever.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • levioosa said:
    Wait, what's wrong with the first picture? 

Just kidding.

Double post and I'm sorry and also soooo off topic but:

I LOVE THIS LINE. My brother gave me the body wash and the lotion in a little gift set for Christmas. I don't have any more of the body wash, but I keep the lotion in my desk drawer. It smells fantastic and it kind of gives me a little bit of pep to get me through another couple of hours. I don't use the thickening spray so I can't comment on its effectiveness, but the stuff I have used is my favorite ever.
    Looks like I'm going to go broke this week at Ulta. 
    Ditto. My sisters and I call it lion mane hair.

• Powder puff from Kevin Murphy or Wool Shake by Redken are my volume favorites.

Powder puff: Put a dusting in your hand or directly on the roots. I prefer to have day old hair for this. Then use your hands to make bigger, if you don't want HUGE hair. If you want huge hair, backcomb it into submission, my personal favorite.

WoolShake: It's a texture/slush thing. So first, you have to shake it really well. Then spray directly to roots. Not too much though as it is a liquid. Then backcomb. 

Those are my two favorite things. Also, blow drying upside down and root volumizing mousse works as well. 
    This. Plus backcombing. Because I have the world's straightest hair and it's the only way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards