Wedding Reception Forum

Ice cream bar? In January?

My FI and I are getting married Jan 2016.  I was thinking it would be so fun to have an ice cream sundae bar at our reception because we (and our families) LOVE ice cream.  

Maggie Moos quoted me a really good deal because it was their off season.  Him saying that got me thinking: Winter.Ice cream. We live in Nashville, so it could be 20 degrees or 60 degrees.  It's been both in the past week.  :|

My sisters said there's never a bad time for Maggie Moos.  Guess I'm just looking for an outside opinion because I don't know if when I ask my family for opinions if they're just telling me "That's great!" because they want me to be happy.  

I was thinking of serving coffee and a couple warm appetizers (2 PM reception) and also cake of course.  We're having it in our church...

Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Ice cream bar? In January?

• Eh, maybe it doesn't go PERFECTLY with the season, but I'm a big fan of ice cream. As long as your church hall itself is properly heated (I say this because my church is notorious for being chilly in the winter months), then I don't really see a problem with this.
  • You are over thinking this.

It is ice cream.  It is delicious any time of the year.

• Presumably it will be a pleasant and comfortable temperature inside your venue? As long as the guests aren't expected to eat their ice cream outside, they should be fine.
  • Thank you.  SO MUCH.  I agree I'm overthinking this.  I never in my life even thought about a wedding until I got engaged, and I'm really overwhelming myself with all the little details.  I've been lurking on the boards for a couple months and it has *really* helped.  You guys are the BOMB.  

Yes, it will be a comfortable temperature.  My church tends to heat to make the older people comfortable, so I'm usually warm.  And nothing outside (for the guests - FI and I might have a few pictures made outside, I haven't gotten that far yet...)

Thank you again!  :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I LOVE MAGGIE MOOS. All of our stores up here closed though :( Makes me sad. 

Do the ice cream. It's a great idea!

• I eat ice cream all year, even during blizzards.

One recommendation: hire someone to scoop the ice cream for people. Otherwise, it can get pretty messy and sticky. People can add their own toppings once they receive their bowl of ice cream.
  • Maggie Moos is always good. ALWAYS.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I eat ice cream all year, even during blizzards.

One recommendation: hire someone to scoop the ice cream for people. Otherwise, it can get pretty messy and sticky. People can add their own toppings once they receive their bowl of ice cream.
    Agreed on this. Another option is to have the ice cream pre-scooped. A friend did this for her wedding, with the pre-scooped ice cream in individual containers (they may have been Mason jars, or they may have just been cardboard cups with a lid), which were stored in those top-open freezers. Either way, it makes it much easier for guests to navigate the sundae bar and gets the line to speed along.
  • I just went to a bridal shower where ice cream was served for dessert and people LOVED it. People were particularly saying that it was such a treat to have ice cream in the winter because you eat it all the time in the summer - most of us hadn't had it in months!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am in the camp that it is BEVER too cold for ice cream.  I'd love an ice cream bar as a guest at a wedding. 
  • Excellent point on making sure someone else does the scooping.  When I talked to the guy from Maggie Moos, he said setup, serving, and cleanup was included in the fee.  WOOT.  I'll definitely confirm with him that by "serving" he means scooping and not supervising the serving.

Thank you so much!! :)

• twoleighs said:
    My FI and I are getting married Jan 2016.  I was thinking it would be so fun to have an ice cream sundae bar at our reception because we (and our families) LOVE ice cream.  

Maggie Moos quoted me a really good deal because it was their off season.  Him saying that got me thinking: Winter.Ice cream. We live in Nashville, so it could be 20 degrees or 60 degrees.  It's been both in the past week.  :|

My sisters said there's never a bad time for Maggie Moos.  Guess I'm just looking for an outside opinion because I don't know if when I ask my family for opinions if they're just telling me "That's great!" because they want me to be happy.  

I was thinking of serving coffee and a couple warm appetizers (2 PM reception) and also cake of course.  We're having it in our church...

Thanks!

Anniversary

• I tend to crave ice cream even more in the cold, so I think ice cream in January is a fantastic idea! 

I am not a fan of cake and love ice cream, so finding a venue that would let us do an ice cream bar was one of my main requirements haha
    --

I love ice cream and would be a very happy guest.

• I eat ice cream all year 'round. 
  • Winter is a fantastic time for ice cream. That's why hot fudge was invented.
  • I loves me ice cream. Have the ice cream.
  • Also, maybe consider adding affogatos- they are my favourite winter ice cream treat: Vanilla ice cream in a mug with a hot espresso poured over the top with a bit of cream and chocolate, and maybe some baileys if you're feeling a bit cheeky! Very inexpensive and amazing to warm you up in winter time...

• ICE CREAM!!!!! I would be happy with this at any time of year. Don't second guess yourself.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm also January 2016 and we thought about having an ice cream bar when we went to a wedding expo and saw a vendor who does that. Honestly, you guys will be inside so it's not like you will all be freezing and wanting nothing but hot food and drinks to keep you warm. Ice cream is perfect any day of the year!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards