Snarky Brides

Spinoff: wedding etiquette fails in movies/TV shows

Re: Spinoff: wedding etiquette fails in movies/TV shows

• In "Everybody Loves Raymond" there is a cash bar at Robert & Amy's wedding.

The FOG, Frank Barone makes MANY snide remarks about it.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    doeydo said:
    In The Princess and the Frog, they got married as frogs, which then turned them human again.  But after that, they "got married" again with all their family, if memory serves.
    Yeah, their PPD was pretty literal. :)

I feel like changing species is about as good a reason for a re-do as I can think of... How do we even know if their frog marriage was legal as humans? WE'LL NEVER KNOW!
    I thought it was binding because they both magically turned human again when they kissed, so I think she became a princess by marrying him.  I could be wrong though because it has been a while since I've seen it.
  • Orange is the New Black when Piper's brother and his fiancé get married at Piper's grandma's funeral. It's hard to be more insensitive than that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• peachy13peachy13 member
    edited February 2015
    danamw said:

In "Everybody Loves Raymond" there is a cash bar at Robert & Amy's wedding.

The FOG, Frank Barone makes MANY snide remarks about it.

I also kind of remember an episode leading up to Robert and Amy's wedding where Robert and Raymond are taking care of the invitations and Raymond decides to screw them up intentionally so that they won't have to help with wedding stuff anymore, so like instead of "black tie optional" he has the invitations say "clothes optional." And then the bad invitations get mailed out by accident.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    edited February 2015

Made of Honor didn't do much against etiquette but it really pushes the idea that the bridal party has to do a bunch of stuff for the bride.

• peachy13 said:
    Orange is the New Black when Piper's brother and his fiancé get married at Piper's grandma's funeral. It's hard to be more insensitive than that.
    OMG you're right. And then they use the berevement as their reception WTF.
    Yeah, that was totally bananas. I love that show. 
  • Vanderpump Rules on Bravo is my guilty pleasure. This girl Scheana got married and it was a total etiquette train wreck. She B-lIsted, invited some people without their significant others, invited people to pre-wedding parties without inviting them to the wedding, tried to uninvite people from the wedding, and kicked one of her bridesmaids out of the bridal party. She also went around and begged for free stuff from vendors. So tacky.
  • Vanderpump Rules on Bravo is my guilty pleasure. This girl Scheana got married and it was a total etiquette train wreck. She B-lIsted, invited some people without their significant others, invited people to pre-wedding parties without inviting them to the wedding, tried to uninvite people from the wedding, and kicked one of her bridesmaids out of the bridal party. She also went around and begged for free stuff from vendors. So tacky.
    I hated her dress. I'm not even opposed to crop tops. I hated it, because it looked like two totally different pieces. The top and skirt just didn't go together in my opinion. 

She also had a honeyfund.  I don't know if the TK has ruined me from watching trash TV, but all I could think of was all the etiquette mistakes.

Oh, and she made her guests wait while standing because the singer started singing like 15 seconds too early - so she had to start all over again

• dcbride86 said:
    Vanderpump Rules on Bravo is my guilty pleasure. This girl Scheana got married and it was a total etiquette train wreck. She B-lIsted, invited some people without their significant others, invited people to pre-wedding parties without inviting them to the wedding, tried to uninvite people from the wedding, and kicked one of her bridesmaids out of the bridal party. She also went around and begged for free stuff from vendors. So tacky.

She also had a honeyfund.  I don't know if the TK has ruined me from watching trash TV, but all I could think of was all the etiquette mistakes.

Oh, and she made her guests wait while standing because the singer started singing like 15 seconds too early - so she had to start all over again

I forgot all about the honeyfund. I'm so glad TK turned me off of that.
  • Who remembers the Boy Meets World Corey & Topanga wedding?! Where Eric claims he is paying for it and taking care of everything. He steals another couple's wedding before they get there, and the priest keeps calling them Mr. & Mrs. (some Jewish name?). And they all eat and dance and don't even question it. hahahah yeeeeaaa WTF!!!

Also I watch tons of lame Lifetime/ Hallmark movies. Some of the stuff....not even etiquette, just realistically. Like she showed up to her parent's house on Christmas and her man was there waiting with all their family and a priest and says "Merry Christmas, marry me right now!" and she does. I'm over here yelling "um you didn't get a license, this is not legal".

• jenna8984 said:

Who remembers the Boy Meets World Corey & Topanga wedding?! Where Eric claims he is paying for it and taking care of everything. He steals another couple's wedding before they get there, and the priest keeps calling them Mr. & Mrs. (some Jewish name?). And they all eat and dance and don't even question it. hahahah yeeeeaaa WTF!!!

Also I watch tons of lame Lifetime/ Hallmark movies. Some of the stuff....not even etiquette, just realistically. Like she showed up to her parent's house on Christmas and her man was there waiting with all their family and a priest and says "Merry Christmas, marry me right now!" and she does. I'm over here yelling "um you didn't get a license, this is not legal".

They stole the peterman wedding. Sadly I don't think that was the worst of it. They were expecting Corey's dad to pay for it. Topanga was a total bridezilla about the bridesmaids dresses and her "gone with the wind theme". I did love that Corey didn't understand the need for a theme and thought it should be have a nosh with Corey and Topanga.

They replaced Shawn as the best man like three times. They moved the wedding up eight months and did it with a weeks notice. On the wedding day had a million errands for poor Shawn before finally firing him again.

And they did a B list verbal invite to their audience ;) I'm sure there were more issues, but I think I've already confirmed my sick obsession with the show.
  • Also meridith and Derek on Grey's Anatomy. They are one of the only I know of with an IRL ettiquette issue. Leading up to the episode with their wedding they had a real wedding website with in lieu of gifts donate to the following charities.

Their wedding never happened they gave it to Izzy and Alex. I'm sure the gifts were not returned.
  • Kahlyla said:
    ^ Paul and Jamie on Mad About You also got legally married (except not really, but that's another story...) the night before their scheduled wedding. Also never told their guests. It was a last-minute, unplanned thing.

I don't remember My Best Friend's Wedding very well, but didn't that wedding span like three days? I got the impression everything was fully hosted, but who knows.
    Lily and Marshall on HIMYM also got married before their scheduled ceremony.
    I am remembering that Lily and Marshall said these vows to each other before they got married to each other in front of their guest.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Wedding Crashers (one of my family's favorite movies, to be clear): the two heroes and their women just drive off to find another wedding to crash immediately after Vince Vaughn's character's wedding ceremony. Like, you do know Vince Vaughn's new in-laws have a hell of a party planned, right?

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

• dcbride86 said:
    Vanderpump Rules on Bravo is my guilty pleasure. This girl Scheana got married and it was a total etiquette train wreck. She B-lIsted, invited some people without their significant others, invited people to pre-wedding parties without inviting them to the wedding, tried to uninvite people from the wedding, and kicked one of her bridesmaids out of the bridal party. She also went around and begged for free stuff from vendors. So tacky.

Can we also talk about how she shit all over her MOH for being uncomfortable being around Kristen (another guest, who had been practically stalking the MOH and MOH's boyfriend), because Kristen wasn't in the WP and was able to get Scheana her wedding present for her FI? Ariana (MOH) basically was like "I'm really not comfortable with her coming to where I'm staying (where I'm getting seemingly-mandatory hair and makeup)", and Sceana was like "get over it, it'll be fine".

UGH How can you be so insensitive?!
  • Oh, guys, Real Housewives of Miami.
    Was her name Ariana?  She was HOURS late to her ceremony, then HOURS late to her reception. The guests couldn't be served until she showed up. People got angry and left!
    She was such a selfish bitch the whole day. She had zero concern for how her lateness impacted people. "We're [Cuban? Latino? Brazilian? can't recall], that's just how we are."

I wanted to reach through my tv and punch her. I hate lateness. 

Was her name Ariana?  She was HOURS late to her ceremony, then HOURS late to her reception. The guests couldn't be served until she showed up. People got angry and left!
    She was such a selfish bitch the whole day. She had zero concern for how her lateness impacted people. "We're [Cuban? Latino? Brazilian? can't recall], that's just how we are."

That wedding was a shit show. She also asked her guests to wear something costumey, I think. 

That wedding was a shit show. She also asked her guests to wear something costumey, I think. 
    Oh yeah, she had a 1920's theme! And did they all have to wear white 1920's stuff? Can't recall if it went that far. And the Church they were sitting in for hours wasn't air conditioned. In Miami. 

• I just watched "I Love You Man" the other night. Love that movie!

But anyway, the whole premise of the movie is that the groom-to-be doesn't have any friends and has to "find" guys to be in his wedding party. Then at the end, he kicks out his best man. I won't say how it ends - if you haven't seen it, go watch it! It's a really great movie (despite the obvious etiquette blunders).

• @afox007 I am extremely impressed with your Boy Meets World knowledge. And yes the frigen southern bo peep dresses! Morgan the little sister kept yelling that she wasn't going to wear it haha

• jenna8984 said:
    @afox007 I am extremely impressed with your Boy Meets World knowledge. And yes the frigen southern bo peep dresses! Morgan the little sister kept yelling that she wasn't going to wear it haha
    I may have a serious addiction to the show. I miss having cable and being able to watch reruns on ABC family all day.
  • rcher912 said:
    dcbride86 said:

Can we also talk about how she shit all over her MOH for being uncomfortable being around Kristen (another guest, who had been practically stalking the MOH and MOH's boyfriend), because Kristen wasn't in the WP and was able to get Scheana her wedding present for her FI? Ariana (MOH) basically was like "I'm really not comfortable with her coming to where I'm staying (where I'm getting seemingly-mandatory hair and makeup)", and Sceana was like "get over it, it'll be fine".

UGH How can you be so insensitive?!
    The shit show continued in the last episode with the bride insisting on a dollar dance and recruiting her friends to clean up the day after. For someone who spent 6 digits on their wedding I think there should've been a couple hundred bucks allocated to hire a cleaning crew, instead of putting your nearest and dearest to work. Just goes to show that money doesn't buy you class. 
  • Kahlyla said:
    ^ Paul and Jamie on Mad About You also got legally married (except not really, but that's another story...) the night before their scheduled wedding. Also never told their guests. It was a last-minute, unplanned thing.

I don't remember My Best Friend's Wedding very well, but didn't that wedding span like three days? I got the impression everything was fully hosted, but who knows.
    Is that movie good? I booked the venue in the movie for my wedding, and didn't realize it was in a movie until after. I feel like watching the movie to see what Cuneo looks like in action. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • MadHops21 said:
    Kahlyla said:

Is that movie good? I booked the venue in the movie for my wedding, and didn't realize it was in a movie until after. I feel like watching the movie to see what Cuneo looks like in action. 
    THAT was Cuneo? No way. I came across it in my research for my own wedding. How cool.

• How about Father of the Bride where Steve Martin didn't get a budget and the family tells him how to spend his money?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards