Honeymoon Discussions

Mid October Honeymoon

I am having a lot of trouble deciding on a honeymoon destination.  We will be going either Oct. 12-18 or Oct. 18-25.  My FI wants to relax and hang out on the beach and I am more of the adventure type.  We need something with a little of both.  We have looked into St. Johns and are really considering that, but I have read it is hurricane season and to expect a lot of rain.  Any recommendations on places to go in the United States?  We would like the weather to be nice (70's-80's).  Near a beach would be nice, but we will settle for a pool!  We do not want to go to Florida, as we both have been there so many times.  Thanks!!!

Re: Mid October Honeymoon

• What is your budget?

As a side note, hurricane season shouldn't be a deterrent.  That's what travel insurance is for.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Budget?

I know that late October is bargain season for cruises.  I have sailed many times during October, and we have never had a problem with hurricanes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are trying to stay between $3000-$5000 (flights included).  We're travelling from the Minneapolis Airport, so flights are a bit more expensive. 

Thanks for the advice =)

• Costa Rica can get you both sun and adventure.  If not look at Aruba its in the Caribbean but you don't fall into the Hurricane Belt.
  • Hurricane season you just don't know.  We went to Riviera Maya in Sept 2013 and never had a drop of rain despite the forecast showing rain and it being prime hurricane season.  Last year we had a trip scheduled to Cabo and that area got majorly hit by a hurricane in September 2014 and it cancelled our Oct trip - it was one of those once a few decades kinds of things I think.  All that to say, don't be deterred just because of hurricane season but get travel insurance if you are worried
  • CMGragain said:
    Budget?

I know that late October is bargain season for cruises.  I have sailed many times during October, and we have never had a problem with hurricanes.
    how long as bargain season go? We are trying to think of something to do in November I think and I'm finally warming up to the idea of a cruise but I would prefer a discounted time
  • If you are intersted in places in the US. I'd suggest San Diego. There's going out options in the Gaslamp District, the beach in Coronado, wineries in Temecula (about 2 hours drive north), and a there's plenty of active things to do like kayaking in La Jolla and surfing.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Costa Rica 
    Belize 
    Dominican Republic 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited February 2015
    kvruns said:
    CMGragain said:
    Budget?

how long as bargain season go? We are trying to think of something to do in November I think and I'm finally warming up to the idea of a cruise but I would prefer a discounted time
    bargain season for the Caribbean is later October and early November.  When school is out for holiday breaks, the prices double!
    You should talk to a travel agent who specializes in cruises to look at your options.  Their services are free to you.  Southwest flies to Miami from Minneapolis, and they are very budget friendly if you book early.  If you want to talk to someone for advice and prices, PM me, and I will share my online travel agent.  There is no obligation.  Here's some good ones:

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=26453

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=16306

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=37156

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=26319

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have to agree with Costa Rica, Belize or Dominican Republic.  
  • Cruises can also be cheap in the beginning of December & beginning of January. I used to go with my parents and sister almost every year right after New Year's, because my mom would always get emails with discounts.
  • I would absolutely LOVE to go to Belize (and will some day) but it is out of our budget =(

When travelling to the Dominican Republic, do you have to stay on all-inclusive resorts?

• Agreed that San Diego is awesome!! There is so much to do and see in San Diego!
     I know you said to stay in the U.S., but if you're open to looking outside of the U.S., Turks and Caicos is the most beautiful  place I've ever been to. October is the end of their "low season" too, so you could do it within your budget.  It's great for diving and snorkeling as well.
  • kfbanta said:

I would absolutely LOVE to go to Belize (and will some day) but it is out of our budget =(

When travelling to the Dominican Republic, do you have to stay on all-inclusive resorts?

Wanna bet?  We sailed 11/2 - 11/9 on Royal Caribbean in a balcony cabin and the total for my husband and I with taxes/port fees was $1,322.  Flights were about $300/each (from Cleveland), throw in tips (about $175), the night before the cruise in the hotel ($100), transfer to/from the port to airport ($150-ish)...total: $2,347.  So the only additional expenses would be if you chose to have a beverage package, which we did and it was about $780 for the both of us together plus any excursions and for us it was about $190 for the 3 ports (Cozumel, Belize & Roatan) per person so that brings the total to $3,507...so then you just need spending money for souvenirs.  
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    edited February 2015
    You can definitely afford Belize.....and you don't even have to do a cruise to afford it!  It's definitely doable for under $5k.
  • Go to your local travel agent, tell them what types of things you are looking for and what your budget it, they will be able to give you some great options that fit what you are looking for & what you can afford.
  • Wow!  Thanks everyone!  I think I will be researching Belize today =)

• I just heard of another place if you are a beach lover- Vieques.  It's an island off Puerto Rico.  My mom just saw some show on it and it looks beautiful.  More of the off the beaten path kind of place but amazing pristine beaches.  
  • My sister went to Vieques this past September and she LOVED it!  She (and her husband) flew into San Juan, then took a ferry to Vieques.  They rented a two bedroom condo with another couple for less than $800 TOTAL.  She said the beaches were absolutely gorgeous, and there are tons of small unique beaches throughout the island, so they visited many different ones.  She did say you need to rent a car though, as everything is pretty spread out.   
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards