Chit Chat
Options

Kitchen appliances - am I being crazy?

Last night H and I got into an argument about how to go about purchasing kitchen appliances for the new home that we close on in two weeks! We have other priorities that will come first, but may need a new dishwasher right away. Currently all the appliances in the home are in working order (except the dishwasher) and are all black.

I said I'd rather straight out buy the dishwasher we ultimately want (stainless steel with the functions we want). Then we can upgrade the other appliances when we get around to it. He said he'd rather buy a cheaper dishwasher that's black and fits with the other appliances until we can buy them all at once SO THEY ALL MATCH. I'm talking same brand, same style, etc. Maybe I'm crazy but this seems like a waste of money in the long-run (although he's confident we could sell the black dishwasher later).

I guess the way I grew up, we never had top-of-the-line matching appliances. My parents would upgrade them as needed (and when they had the money). Maybe I just don't care about matching appliances right away, and would rather focus on upgrading the kitchen counters or something else first. Anyway, I wanted to see what you all thought. Maybe it just comes down to some kind of compromise between us since it's obvious we don't agree. Ugh, home-ownership! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Kitchen appliances - am I being crazy?

• Options
    I think it depends on how much money you have and how long-term the house is for you.

I, personally, want all my stuff to match as much as possible. Especially if you are looking to sell, I think it adds value.

But if it is a really long term place for you, taking your time might be better. We just bought a house with a top of the line Viking stove, matching oven (both stainless and so, so pretty- also SUPER $$$) . But the fridge and dishwasher are these janky, cheap white ones. I really wish they had replaced them at the same time as everything else. 
  • Options
    I can see both sides.  

I'm the type of person who likes certain brands (especially appliances). I would prefer to buy them all at once so they are the exact same.

However, it does seem like a waste to buy a black dishwasher now just to replace it later. 

How long down the road until y'all replace everything? Could you just get a used dishwasher that is black for now? I found one on Craigslist for our house last year for $45. 

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    I don't think there is a right way or wrong way go about this.

One of my pet peeves is mis-matched appliances.  It just annoys the crap out of me.  Which is such a FWP.    

If  all the rest of the appliances are in good working order and it would be a few years  (2 or more) before  we could come up with money to replace all the appliances.  Then I would be more inclined to get a less expensive matching one. 

If we are talking within 18 months  and/or the remaining are at the end of their life then I would go with stainless.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on how long you're planning to stay in the house and how long you're thinking of replacing other appliances.

I personally would get a decent stainless dishwasher and maybe hold off on replacing say the fridge and oven until you can do them both. The dishwasher is the one thing you can always get away with not being perfectly matched. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I guess I really don't care about those matching types of things. I'd get the stainless now.

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    I think it depends on how long you're planning to stay in the house and how long you're thinking of replacing other appliances.

I personally would get a decent stainless dishwasher and maybe hold off on replacing say the fridge and oven until you can do them both. The dishwasher is the one thing you can always get away with not being perfectly matched. 
    I agree with this, because the dishwasher hides under the countertop! 

• Options
    We bought our house in November.  It had the original 40 year old stove, a new black dishwasher, and an older white fridge.  All different brands.  We immediately replaced the stove with a stainless one that had a black cook top.  That way the stove and dishwasher coordinated.  We also bought a stainless microwave that had a black display.  We will at some point replace the fridge, but its not a priority right now.  When we do, it will be stainless with black elements so that the appliances go.  Then finally the dishwasher will be the same when it finally goes.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I guess I really don't care about those matching types of things. I'd get the stainless now.
    Ditto. I can't imagine spending extra money, no matter how little, just to make things match.

• Options

Agree with others on when do you plan to replace the other appliances.

My other thought, which relates to that, is are you absolutely sure you are going to buy stainless and XYZ brand when you do replace the rest of them? Is there a difference in the look of stainless (like some are shinier than others).  I ask that because what if you buy what you think you want for the dishwasher and when it is time to buy the rest of the stuff the set you end up picking out doesn't match the dishwasher you buy now.  What happens then?

• Options
    chibiyui said:

Ditto this. 

Maybe get the kind with the face that matches the cabinets then you'll never need to worry about it matching the other appliances? 

• Options
    But one of these bad boys: http://www.applianceart.com/ and slap it on the front of the stainless dishwasher. Or get a fridge one in stainless, whatever.

Then take it off when everything matches. 
  • Options
    Dude that site I linked to...it's kind of awesome. I want to buy many things now.
  • Options

@lolo883 love the blue color on those stoves!

I think you should just get whatever dishwasher you want now and not settle for a cheap black one just because it matches. If you know that eventually you want all stainless steel, then just get the stainless steel dishwasher now and upgrade the rest as you go.

• Options
    chibiyui said:

Ditto this. 

Maybe get the kind with the face that matches the cabinets then you'll never need to worry about it matching the other appliances? 
    I came here to say this. It kind of depends on what cabinets you have (if they're painted and you have the paint, you just WON. If they're custom and you don't have extra wood, well, that's harder).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Sorry to post and run.

Thanks for the responses. I doubt this will be our forever home, but I could see us living there 5-10 years maybe. I would think we would get all new appliances in a year or two. The stuff that's there is pretty old (although I'm not sure about it's working condition until we actually get in the house and try it out).

I definitely agree about some brands making different items better. I think we are looking at a stainless steel/black combo so that's why I thought it would all "go" even if it's different brands.

The cabinets are currently wood that we would probably paint a lighter color for now, until we can get better cabinets.

I like @emmaaa's idea of finding a used dishwasher. I mean, if I HAVE to compromise...

The whole conversation just surprised me because H is usually very frugal, so the thought of buying the same item twice was not something I would have thought he wanted to do.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, I would never, ever waste money like that. I can't fathom caring that much about matching appliances to just piss away money just because. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    My dishwasher doesn't hid under the counter.  It is under a counter, but you see that sucker from across the room.  they way our kitchen is laid out it's more prominent then the stove or refrigerator.

I don't get the matching brands though.   I guess if I got a great deal from the manufacture I would look into getting all the same.  I just don't think that the best stove manufacture will also be the best dishwasher manufacture.  

Yeah I totally agree with this. I'll never want to spend my money on a sub-par appliance, period. I want the best quality one I can afford - if that doesn't match the color of something that will be replaced soon anyway, or the brand of another thing that's the best at doing its thing, so be it.

Plus I want a colored stove so my shit ain't gonna match anyway. Look at this sexy stove...

Or
    We have a fancy ass Viking in our new house and I can't WAIT to get my hands on it.
  • Options
    This topic makes me want to get a new stove.

Re: Matching appliances: I don't care, but I DO care about spending 2x money on 1 appliance just to make them "match". I really don't want to buy a sub-par item just for looks.
  • Options
    if you have to buy one try the clearance racks at home depot or lowes. we got a $2800 fridge for $1500 brand new all because of a dent that was in the door when they pulled it off the truck. scratch and dents are the way to go especially if you plan on replacing within a few years because you most likely did not spend a lot of money on the damaged items. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    My dishwasher doesn't hid under the counter.  It is under a counter, but you see that sucker from across the room.  they way our kitchen is laid out it's more prominent then the stove or refrigerator.

I don't get the matching brands though.   I guess if I got a great deal from the manufacture I would look into getting all the same.  I just don't think that the best stove manufacture will also be the best dishwasher manufacture.  

Yeah I totally agree with this. I'll never want to spend my money on a sub-par appliance, period. I want the best quality one I can afford - if that doesn't match the color of something that will be replaced soon anyway, or the brand of another thing that's the best at doing its thing, so be it.

Plus I want a colored stove so my shit ain't gonna match anyway. Look at this sexy stove...

Or
    That is a just a really cool stove. 
    I usually don't get excited about appliances. But I just fell deeply and seriously in love.
  • Options
    If you're replacing within a year or 2, get the stainless steel.  We bought all of ours as we built our house, and they're all SS, but they're not all the same brand.  We bought the ones we liked and while they're similar, we have Electrolux and KitchenAid in the kitchen, and LG washer/dryer.  

My brother upgraded their's over several months.  All SS, but I think different brands again.  They got them at the scratch and dent place.  I think the tiny dent on their fridge is on the side, so you can't even see it as it's covered by the walls/cabinets.  

I also grew up in a house with white dishwasher/stove top and black wall mount oven.  It was a U shaped kitchen, so all was visible.  Even when my parents reno'd the kitchen a few years ago, they kept the same appliance colour scheme.  Maybe I'm just used to it.  You can get away with it, especially if you're planning on upgrading eventually.  And SS will increase the resale value if you do decide to move.  

• Options
    I'd go with the stainless steel. I didn't realize it until we bought our over the range microwave but only the fridge and stove match and I think that's because they were already here.
    They are white, the dishwasher is black, the microwave is stainless. I don't notice it most of the time, but occasionally when I do it makes me chuckle. I'd rather get a good product than settle for a half as good product because it matches.
    Anniversary

• Options

We have a dishwasher, but I use this way more often.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

We have a dishwasher, but I use this way more often.

***Effing Boxes!**
    I saw that when I was looking for my dish rack picture! I was all judge-y when I saw the price, but looking at it more I really really want it.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We've had our for 6 years.  Love it.  It's big, strong.  I love the knife block.   Drains well.

• Options
    We had the same issue at our house - except white appliances. The dishwasher didn't work so we bought a stainless one right away and didn't upgrade the others right away. It was not a big deal. Like at all. We knew we were going to upgrade, so it wasn't permanent.

Remind him of the cost of that black dishwasher when he wants to buy a new TV or tickets to a baseball game or something. "Sorry, can't do it this time - we need to pay for the black dishwasher..." I'm kind of a bitch like that though.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    SO's parents have all white appliances.  SO's mom wants black appliances, but whenever they had to get new appliances they would go with white so they all match.  So, they are all still white and very blah looking, when they could have just sucked it up for however long and would now have all matching ones.  So, I am with you on getting what you actually want when you buy a new appliance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards