Wedding Reception Forum

Tips and Tricks

I am currently in the process of booking a venue. I am going for the rustic feel. I found a barn that I am in love with except it only holds around 180 people. So far my guest list is about 220. I could cut it down to 200 but there is no way I can get it down any lower then that. It was suggested to me that I rent a tent and to have extra space. However, I am not sure if it would work or if my guest would even enjoy going back and forth from a the tent to the barn. They would not be far from each other at all. I was considering having the meal in the tent and the dancing and alcohol in the barn. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know of any weddings that have done something similar to what I am considering and did it work out?

Re: Tips and Tricks

• I went to a wedding last summer that was in an older mansion. The venue was not big enough to hold all of the guest, so my FI and I as well as some of our other friends were seated outdoors on the patio. I didn't mind sitting outside, HOWEVER, we couldn't even see the bride and groom as they were indoors. We felt like 'well they invited us to their wedding so it would be nice if we felt like were actually involved in the activities that are taking place.' Not sure if any others have had similar experiences, but I was not a fan. I felt very detached from the rest of the celebration. 

I hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How far away would the tent be? Personally, I think you need to find a new venue that can properly hold all of your guests. I wouldn't want to have to walk from the tent to the main area to grab a drink. And I think it might be weird to have to two parts of the reception cut off from each other.(eating/dancing). 
  • How would people be set-up to actually eat? Would some people be in one place, others be in another place? Would people in the tent be able to see in to the barn and vice versa. 

If everyone is going to be seated in one area and the drinks and dancing are in another area, I think the whole thing will feel a little weird, to be honest. I would think a lot of people would leave earlier if the party was going on in two different buildings. If it is fairly open, so that the tent could be put up right next to the barn and open into the barn (like, if the barn had a really big sliding door or something, I think that would be more doable. If you would have to seat some people in the tent and some in the barn I think that would necessarily make some guests feel second class. 
  • I've been to a wedding where some of the guests were pushed off to outside seating. It felt like they weren't really included in the wedding. There's not really a good way to divide guests up like that and still have a party. 

Bottom line, it doesn't sound like this venue works for your guest list. If cutting down to 180 isn't an option, it's time to start looking for other locations.
  • I'd keep looking.  Comfort and convenience for your guests should trump vision.
  • Find a new venue.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I went to a wedding that didn't have enough space inside so there were tents set up right outside the door. There were tables inside that were reserved for about 50 people and the rest of us second class citizens were left to fend for ourselves. DH and I ended up sitting outside. We couldn't see anything that was going on and we left shortly after dinner. They had the dancing outside, but by the time that happened we weren't really in a partying mood because we felt like we weren't really wanted there. Please don't  do that to your guests. I'm speaking as a guest who experienced this, it sucks really bad. And yes I told the couple how lovely their wedding was and what a good time I had because that was the polite thing to do.
  • If a venue is not large enough to hold all of your guests, then it is the wrong venue.  It doesn't matter how "in love" you are with it.  It is the WRONG VENUE!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I suppose the question is, what do you mean by guest list? Is that just the people you're planning on inviting or the people you realistically believe will be attending?

If you're just inviting 220 then chances are a few won't be able to make it for a variety of reasons (I invited 280 to my wedding but we only wound up with 209). If you are actually expecting 220 to show, then you need to think of a plan B.

I'd only go with this venue if the options for adding extra space allow everyone to be seated together or in full view of the proceedings. Otherwise some guests will wind up feeling like second class citizens.
  • I had 100% attendance at my wedding, and so have others. You should always, always plan on 100% attendance. It's much less stressful, as you won't be surprised by going over-budget and/or over-capacity.

I have seen so many posts from brides who are freaking out because their venue holds 150 and they received 180 "yes" RSVPs.

Don't be that bride.
  • Your options are

Cut the list

Find a new venue

Sure you "can" be the bride who takes a risk and hopes for 40 declines.  But there is enough stress involved in getting married then hoping for declines. Or even worse, not getting enough and having to figure out what to do last minute.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If you can't cut your guest list any further, then you need to find a new venue that can hold all your guests, your families, your wedding patty, and your vendors. Every person involved has to be included in your head count to keep from going over capacity.
  • Thanks so much everyone!
    Found a new venue with more space! I appreciate te tips!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards